Thistle vs Arbroath - 11th December 2021

Interesting one this. Ourselves and Arbroath both drawing 0-0 today, missing the chance to gain points on the teams around. Both sides have got goals in them, so I think this one will be an exciting game. 

This will likely be a tough test for the defence and Sneddon, but eight clean sheets on the bounce is some going, hopefully we can keep it up in this game. 

Massive blow having Ricky Little out for 2 games. Because he’s a massive player for us and because you never know what DC will do to try and resolve it hopefully nothing crazy. For me same team as today except Henderson in for Little and potentially Dowds in for LD

Gaston

JT

ToB

Henderson

Hamilton

Stewart

McKenna 

Young Hamilton

Craigen

Nouble

Dowds / LD

Not that confident as we've had an atrocious record v Arbroath in recent years but it'd be nice to put an end to that, however I think this will be an incredibly tough game to win. Would love to keep the clean sheet record going but again will be a tricky test for the defence & Sneddon. 

I'd probably revert back to the two up top from the off for this one, expect Murray coming out for Graham to be the only change. 

33 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Dowds or linn in for donnelly please

I hate hate hate criticising any of our players but Donnelly contributed zero yesterday. I remember he had a wee bit of nice play on the stand side touch line early on and then a flick-on header later but can’t remember seeing him do anything else.

His best games for us this season have been the cup games v Kelty and Forfar which highlights exactly what he is - a good player at league 2, possibly league 1 level. Dowds should have been on from the start yesterday, his physicality is much more suited for a game like that whereas the game just passed Donnelly by.

The goals have slightly dried up in the league, I'd was tempted to say move our top scorer back up front but his energy in midfield would be missed, When Low is back I think it's obvious Mckenna will move back up top I think Henderson will come in to left back ans Hammy moving in to centre half

Gaston

JT
ToB
Hammy
Henderson

Stewart
Hamilton
Gold/Mckenna
Craigen

Nouble
Dowds/Mckenna

I hate hate hate criticising any of our players but Donnelly contributed zero yesterday. I remember he had a wee bit of nice play on the stand side touch line early on and then a flick-on header later but can’t remember seeing him do anything else.
His best games for us this season have been the cup games v Kelty and Forfar which highlights exactly what he is - a good player at league 2, possibly league 1 level. Dowds should have been on from the start yesterday, his physicality is much more suited for a game like that whereas the game just passed Donnelly by.

I think there’s an issue of Donnelly preferring to play in the same left channel as Nouble. He shows more when Nouble is out - which doesn’t compensate for Nouble being out. Nouble and Dowds may well be a better pair. But Nouble and McKenna best.

Get bossed like we did 2nd half in Arbroath it won't be pretty. Better at the back now so will be close. Akinola makes the difference. No predictions as this could go either way
That was also the game with Stone's error. As you say, we have looked far stronger defensively since then. My main worry is the pitch. It's had 3 matches on it since we last played on it and the forecast for the remainder of the week isn't great. Safe to say if the match goes ahead it is unlikely to be pretty.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
1 hour ago, Ken Deans said:
Get bossed like we did 2nd half in Arbroath it won't be pretty. Better at the back now so will be close. Akinola makes the difference. No predictions as this could go either way

That was also the game with Stone's error. As you say, we have looked far stronger defensively since then. My main worry is the pitch. It's had 3 matches on it since we last played on it and the forecast for the remainder of the week isn't great. Safe to say if the match goes ahead it is unlikely to be pretty.

Our pitch has been consistently shite this season, and has led to a couple of grim matches. I expect that to continue in this game.

The game in Arbroath was weird as, from what I recall, we were the better side until the equaliser went in, and Stone probably could have done better with it. The second half though was no contest and Arbroath were great and Nouble in particular toyed with our defence. 

I fucking hate playing against Arbroath in general. Don’t think I’ve ever seen us beat them. 

12 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Our pitch has been consistently shite this season, and has led to a couple of grim matches. I expect that to continue in this game.

The game in Arbroath was weird as, from what I recall, we were the better side until the equaliser went in, and Stone probably could have done better with it. The second half though was no contest and Arbroath were great and Nouble in particular toyed with our defence. 

I fucking hate playing against Arbroath in general. Don’t think I’ve ever seen us beat them. 

Aye we were well in charge until the equaliser then fell to pieces. Not taking away from the Bunnetz men 2nd half but what a boost we gave them. When I think of some of the shite have witnessed Thistle being under Dick Campbell he's doing a great job with them. 

Hope Firhill stands up to it all

Arbroath have the all time lead in head to head league games between the teams with 15 wins to 12 (15 draws), the Cup stats knock the overall record in our favour. 

Given the pitch being a bog I can see us going back to 442 for this which I don't think is our best bet against the better teams in the league. 

5 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Arbroath have the all time lead in head to head league games between the teams with 15 wins to 12 (15 draws), the Cup stats knock the overall record in our favour. 

Given the pitch being a bog I can see us going back to 442 for this which I don't think is our best bet against the better teams in the league. 

Those stats are almost incredible. On the one hand that we have been in the same league so few times. I guess it is in the last 3 or 4 seasons that the wins column has swung in Arbroath’s favour.

The teams didn't play each other between 1975 and 1998, since then in all comps its 9-5 to Arbroath with 7 draws. 

We haven't beaten them in 20 years which is skewed by there only being 6 games in that time 

Edited by Fuctifano

The teams didn't play each other between 1975 and 1998, since then in all comps its 9-5 to Arbroath with 7 draws. 
We haven't beaten them in 20 years which is skewed by there only being 6 games in that time 
Crikey that makes me feel old! That infamous cup tie where we finished with 8 doesn't feel like 20+ years ago!

10 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Crikey that makes me feel old! That infamous cup tie where we finished with 8 doesn't feel like 20+ years ago!

A very good friend of mine, and long term Smokie, cannot formulate his rage concerning that day into coherent words, two decades on. It's hilarious; his eyes glaze over and it's like he is back in 'nam! 😄