Stenhousemuir -vs- Stranraer

After two consecutive defeats, a home match against a down-on-their-luck Stranraer side in spotty form presents us with a great opportunity to keep pace with the clubs in the top four. It should be noted, however, that our worst showing of the season came at Stair Park in September where a combination of dreadful application and managerial overthinking conspired to see us go down 2-0; it was a shameful afternoon and left a lot of people wondering if Stephen Swift was the right man to take us forward. Results since then have been broadly positive and although we lost the last two matches, I'd like to think that if we had our full complement of players to pick through, we'd have given a better go of things against Kelty Hearts and Airdrieonians.

Players like Nat Wedderburn should be available after isolating through COVID-19 protocols while Mikey Miller, not risked against the Diamonds last weekend, should come back in. We're still light up top, although Tam Orr should be available and Robert Thomson can't be too far behind him now. How about we go with:

- Ryan Tierney -

- Euan O'Reilly - Adam Brown - Darren Christie -

- Nat Wedderburn - Mikey Miller - 

- Bernard Coll - Sean Crighton - Nicky Jamieson - Ross Lyon -

- Davie Wilson -

I thought Ross Lyon was our best player against the Diamonds and he should retain his place at right-back. Miller could move into the middle of the park to partner Wedderburn, but I appreciate this means there is no place for Ross Forbes. Ryan Tierney is a weirdly semi-effective target man up top, but his lack of pressing is a frustration. It'll be interesting to see what the manager does here.

I don't know too much about this Stranraer side, other than they're the kind of team we should be getting the better of if we're to get into the play-offs. I'd be disappointed with anything other than three points here, to be honest!

No failures today. Looked like being a tricky afternoon when Tam Orr scored so early, but those 2 goals in a minute to make it 3-1 completely changed the game. And Stenny would have planned to come flying out of the traps after the interval but the penalty in the first minute of the second half put the tin lid on the game. So many of our players who weren’t scorers today will have gone under the radar - the likes of Craig Ross, Sam Ellis and Dean Hawkshaw. But we used an incredible 17 players today and all got pass marks. Late subs Joe Moore and Ross Irving were both unlucky not to score!

Could criticise us all day but credit to Stranraer.

That's the second time this season they have absolutely rag dolled us.

I didn't think we were particularly bad but when your goalie does that then you have no chance at any level of football.

A nothing performance in first half. 3 very poor goals to lose, as has been discussed at games he hadn't made any glaring errors like yesterday but David Wilson would not be No1 GK for any other team in the league and certainly shouldn't be ours but the recruitment in that area has been very poor so we are stuck with it.

Still wide open play off race especially with Cowden doing us a turn yesterday. Need to see big improvement next week.

I walked out with about 25 minutes to go. That was the worst I've seen us play this season - I grossly underestimated Stranraer while grossly overestimating how good a team we are. The Blues leathered us - they were first to every ball, they out-fought us and they stopped us from getting any rhythm going - but we were dreadful all across the pitch. No width whatsoever, with all four wide players off their game, no muscle in the middle of the park and nothing up front. All we did was hook the ball forward whenever it came in our direction. Garbage.

David Wilson was the villain yesterday and he'll had to take responsibility for the second and third goals with two rotten pieces of goalkeeping. I've had my doubts about him for a couple of weeks now and I don't think he's good enough for what we're looking for; being "better than Ryan Marshall" is a low, low bar. It worries me how poorly we've recruited in this area and I think we have to broaden our horizons rather than signing up dumplings who have played for BSC Glasgow.

It's a damn shame as well, as we started the game very well and scored a lovely goal courtesy of Tam Orr. It was a lovely counter attack and it looked as though we'd go on to dominate but very quickly Stranraer got a grip of the game and we just couldn't get close. One of the most frustrating aspects of watching us at the moment is our clunky attempts to play the ball out from the back - with the best will in the world, Sean Crighton and Nicky Jamieson aren't good with the ball at their feet and watching them nervously passing the ball between them while no-one drops deep to offer an option is remarkable. If we want to play that way, Adam Corbett should be starting (and I appreciate he wasn't tremendous when he came on yesterday) otherwise we need to rethink our approach.

I don't want to get hysterical but we need to see a massive improvement against Edinburgh City next weekend. We seemed to have put our miserable start to the season behind us but that was stinking and a quite concerning.

1 hour ago, Vimto90 said:
1 hour ago, NELLY 1 said:
Hows your vimto tasting the day fanta boy. 

Oh dear

Says the Ribena drinking lad who comments on EVERYTHING cowden and has "patter" to get bites. Sad wee man. Quick question do u drink the real mans vimto or the sugar free stuff?.

Says the Ribena drinking lad who comments on EVERYTHING cowden and has "patter" to get bites. Sad wee man. Quick question do u drink the real mans vimto or the sugar free stuff?.
"Enjoy bottom" really triggers you lot eh [emoji38]. You're having a mare Nelly. Enjoy your Sunday but more importantly.....

Enjoy bottom.