Aberdeen v St Mirren. 4/12/21

No complaints, Aberdeen deserved their win. Great response from them after we pulled a goal back.

We had chances (again), Aberdeen created lots too, looked dangerous going forward and were in the mood. We could do with a Ramirez type player. Always in the right place at the right time.

Something has to change for us, either the system or players in January, which isn't ideal as its mainly dross who aren't good enough for their current club that are up for grabs. Can't see us bagging the manager, even if we are bottom come January.

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

FT 4-1
Poor second half from us and can’t complain about the result. Could have had a penalty to make it 3-2, not given. Not stonewall but seen them given. Then game was fading out and we made the attacking change Dennis for Millar, and then the shape went and it could have been worse in the end.
The knives will be back out for Goodwin after that, the same knives that were out for him about this time last year. Scott didn’t listen and we got a thirty four year high finish and two semi finals as a reward.
I wonder what Needham will do…

Difference this year is refs aren't giving us those penalty decisions. Without that we appear to be terrible.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Something has to change for us, either the system or players in January, which isn't ideal as its mainly dross who aren't good enough for their current club that are up for grabs. Can't see us bagging the manager, even if we are bottom come January.

No doubt we need to add to the squad. A striker, centre half, some more players that can play wing back. 

My issue isn't so much that Goodwin likes 352 but more than there doesn't seem to be any plan b. Glass said before the game that they'd get at us down the wings, they're up 2-0 within 10 mins. Change it. Go to four at the back and ask a question of Aberdeen. We seem incapable of changing shape when we're under pressure. 

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Have to say, big fan of Ramirez. Great player.

11 goals by December is a great return in a largely struggling team. 

He’s a proper penalty box striker and I’ve been up and down on him but I am definitely coming round to him. 

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

11 goals by December is a great return in a largely struggling team. 

He’s a proper penalty box striker and I’ve been up and down on him but I am definitely coming round to him. 

Best goal conversion percentage in the league.

Yeah. Looks like a player who has 20+ goals for Norwich next year in the English Championship written all over him.

Got in the stadium 2 down, some fantastic benny hill material with 30 odd fans in a bizarre shoving match with the stewards resulting in a guy with a helicopter hat being pinned up against a wall by a steward, breaking free, then asking someone to swap jackets whilst still having a helicopter hat on.

Sensational stuff and well worth the 3 hour train, and 26 quid to watch 50 mins of utter shite.

PS Tanser is a shitebag

4 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Got in the stadium 2 down, some fantastic benny hill material with 30 odd fans in a bizarre shoving match with the stewards resulting in a guy with a helicopter hat being pinned up against a wall by a steward, breaking free, then asking someone to swap jackets whilst still having a helicopter hat on.

Sensational stuff and well worth the 3 hour train, and 26 quid to watch 50 mins of utter shite.

PS Tanser is a shitebag

?612pHBJRO3L._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.5e2b569aadf00fa075429dd163a65996.jpg

PS well done to everyone who made it to the game in that weather. 

Ramirez definitely benefits from having others, especially Watkins and Hedges, on form and close to him. It allows him to do his best work within the 18-yard box (or even 6-yard box), as we saw at both goals today.

Saying that, he has also shown signs of acclimatising physically more recently, which is important. I remember when we were beaten by St Johnstone early in the season, he took a dull one from Shaun Rooney (I think) in the opening minute of the game and basically disappeared from view for the remainder. That sort of thing isn't as much of a concern now. 

No doubt we need to add to the squad. A striker, centre half, some more players that can play wing back. 
My issue isn't so much that Goodwin likes 352 but more than there doesn't seem to be any plan b. Glass said before the game that they'd get at us down the wings, they're up 2-0 within 10 mins. Change it. Go to four at the back and ask a question of Aberdeen. We seem incapable of changing shape when we're under pressure. 

He pretty much can’t change it though, thanks to the squad he’s built. Tanser can’t play full back so Dunne would need to be hung out to dry there, and the only winger in the squad is Kyle McAllister.

Not replacing Durmus and Connolly - Ilkay was never staying and I don’t think it was unreasonable to think you could upgrade on Dylan - was terrible squad management.

Again though, we’ve had enough good chances today to give Aberdeen a headache. Poor finishing and poor defending tend not to be a good combination within a team.

Really enjoyed that game today. I thought both teams played well at different points. St Mirren played the conditions well in the first half and pinned us back at times. The wind was making it impossible for us to get out.

Just when St Mirren were getting a foothold again, we brought on Jenks. He was fantastic. You could say they could have scored a couple more but Alnwick made some great saves too.

Edit: We'd have drawn that a month or so ago.

Edited by Merkland Red

Guest Bob Mahelp

Some nice words from Jim Goodwin after the game, who was especially complimentary of Aberdeen's front line...Ramirez in particular. 

Probably our best attacking performance of the season. The front 4 linked well together, and caused St Mirren no end of problems. Ramirez's goal, which looked scrappy at first glance, was a really excellent finish. The guy is a player. Watkins again showed how intelligent a football he is....he's a younger McGinn in lots of ways. 

Jenks put in his best performance in a red shirt, and actually it was his introduction that made the win so comfortable. Up until that point we were being pushed back. 

Sadly, it still has to be pointed out that defensively we often looked poor for around 60 minutes of the game. Not that anyone had a bad game....Bates in particular looks like he's come on to a game....just that we were often far too wide open for anyone's liking. That needs sorted. 

A word for St Mirren. They caused us far more problems that both Hibs and Hearts together. They just need more clinical finishers and a bit more organisation in defence. 

1 hour ago, geo87 said:

PS Tanser is a shitebag

What was the problem with the Saints fans today? Almost from the time that our second goal went in after 9 minutes it seemed to be a permanent battle between the fans and the stewards, and every time I looked over it seemed to be a woman leading the charge. It was obviously one of the games where we have no police, and their arrival at half time seemed to calm things down.

I thought that Emmanuel-Thomas had an excellent match today and some of his little flicks were a joy to watch, in fact all,of his little flicks were a joy to watch. After his last three performances it would be nice to think that fans who berated David Bates as a joke signing would give him the credit he deserves after turning things around. If I have a disappointment today, it’s that neither Watkins nor Ramirez was(were) able to complete their hat trick(s).