Arthur Labinjo-Hughes case

ICTChris

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I wonder how many people who think that have ever visited one? I was always glad to be on the free side of the door/gate when it was locked.

There is also the idea that a few months or years is not that bad - if you got sent to jail in the middle of a card game then when you get out, you should say "sorry about that, where were we?"

Personally I think even a single day would be unpleasant enough.

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I wonder how many people who think that have ever visited one? I was always glad to be on the free side of the door/gate when it was locked.

Yeah I was on a couple of prison visiting committees back in the day. Grim places, wouldn’t want to experience it.

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

There are way too many people who've been manipulated into believing that jail is a holiday camp, and that relentless, gruelling punishment should be a prison's primary function.

Even if you take away the obvious and ever present threat of a fellow inmate trying to stab you or gouge your fucking eyes out, the loss of liberty itself would be horrendous. I'd be mentally fucked within 6 month 😂

One only needs to look at the Covid thread to see how normal folk take to having the freedoms and liberties curtailed. 

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Always funny seeing middle class idiots referring to prison as a holiday camp

They never struck me as such, although they may have changed a bit in the past 30 odd years.

They never struck me as such, although they may have changed a bit in the past 30 odd years.
I do work in some of the prisons a few times a year, anyone that thinks they're a holiday camp should go to Cornton Vale for a few hours.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Middle-class idiots? Nah, they're still the same.

On 30/06/2022 at 23:37, SuperSaints1877 said:

I understand that and know the case you refer to. Corruption exists in many forms in our society.

However I did imply that since the advent of DNA evidence and forensic science it is far easier to secure an accurate conviction. If anyone were to murder or rape my kids I’m not sure how I would deal with it. There seems to be poor deterrents currently in place to stop these evil people. 

Many of these individuals receive a short term in jail in a cushy isolation wing and are often then given a new identity when released early. 

As I said it’s a divisive issue. 

DNA and forensic evidence is not foolproof. It can be mishandled, misinterpreted or planted by the corrupt like anything else. 

Anyone who supports capital punishment is accepting the statistical likelihood of innocent people being executed. 

They say it’s not about revenge and hence making themselves feel better but it absolutely is.

Edited by Thorongil

On 01/07/2022 at 13:28, BFTD said:

There are way too many people who've been manipulated into believing that jail is a holiday camp, and that relentless, gruelling punishment should be a prison's primary function.

Everything seems to point to that being a terrible strategy, for offenders, victims, and broader society as a whole, but you get the impression that feeding the base instincts of revenge and hate are more important to some people - witness the common violent fantasies people like to share about avenging fictitious crimes committed against their families. That, and there's a good deal of "common sense" rhetoric and distrust of experts when it comes to criminal justice in particular.

100%. You could do a venn diagram of morons and these people and you know how it would look. 

Edited by Thorongil

On 01/07/2022 at 23:23, Day of the Lords said:

Even if you take away the obvious and ever present threat of a fellow inmate trying to stab you or gouge your fucking eyes out, the loss of liberty itself would be horrendous. I'd be mentally fucked within 6 month 😂

One only needs to look at the Covid thread to see how normal folk take to having the freedoms and liberties curtailed. 

Is the constant threat of violence/sodomy in the communal showers not a bit outdated in 2022? From what I understand prisons are mostly boring and depressing rather than intimidating. 

14 minutes ago, throbber said:

Is the constant threat of violence/sodomy in the communal showers not a bit outdated in 2022? From what I understand prisons are mostly boring and depressing rather than intimidating. 

It would depend on your crime and whether you were in a gang or somesuch I would imagine.

Still, not a place I'd like to be on a permanent basis.