Arthur Labinjo-Hughes case

ICTChris

I hadn't heard of this story until yesterday, and like many of us saw a brutal overview of the case on the 10 o'clock news last night.  I can't honestly think of a case that has affected me as deeply as this one.  Finding it difficult to concentrate on work this afternoon for thinking of that poor boy, and I'm welling up thinking of my own boy who's not too dissimilar in ages with him - but exists in a home full of warmth and love.

That line "nobody's going to feed me.  Nobody loves me", from a desperate wee boy who was just starting out.  Absolutely shattering.

Had to stop reading the article I seen on this a few days ago. I just can’t comprehend or process what they done. I sincerely hope they spend every single day of their jail sentence being mercilessly tortured by everyone they come into contact with.

I've heard a few details about the Hamilton case today that are extremely tragic. We'll probably be discussing it when the legal proceedings are over.
Yeah my sister told me a couple of things about it yesterday and it's just horrible. I'm not sure about the timeline but at the weekend I twice walked by the park where it happened - it's terrifying to think of something like that happening while you're completely oblivious.

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

I hadn't heard of this story until yesterday, and like many of us saw a brutal overview of the case on the 10 o'clock news last night.  I can't honestly think of a case that has affected me as deeply as this one.  Finding it difficult to concentrate on work this afternoon for thinking of that poor boy, and I'm welling up thinking of my own boy who's not too dissimilar in ages with him - but exists in a home full of warmth and love.

That line "nobody's going to feed me.  Nobody loves me", from a desperate wee boy who was just starting out.  Absolutely shattering.

I heard this being discussed on LBC and as soon as it became apparent that they were going to play part of the recording, I switched over. No way I could listen. Absolutely heartbreaking and horrific. Life should mean life for both perpetrators in this case. 

I've never, ever been a supporter of the death penalty, but my God, reading through the evidence in this case, could very easily persuade me to change my mind.

As @Day of the Lords has suggested it is unlikely that anyone as evil as these two could ever be rehabilitated. There's just no place in a civilised world for purveyors of bloody minded, torturous, murderous evil on that scale.

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

the fact that there is such hard evidence of the suffering of the boy that everyone can see first hand makes this case stand out, most child abuse cases are storeys and allegations read out, bad things happened, guilty people went to jail, the rest is left to the imagination - or not for many who'd rather not think about it, there's no getting away from how horrible this was for the poor kid

35 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I've never, ever been a supporter of the death penalty, but my God, reading through the evidence in this case, could very easily persuade me to change my mind.

As @Day of the Lords has suggested it is unlikely that anyone as evil as these two could ever be rehabilitated. There's just no place in a civilised world for purveyors of bloody minded, torturous, murderous evil on that scale.

I'd prefer they spent the rest of their lives in jail, not knowing when somebody is about to cut their throats, much tougher than capital punishment.

21 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd prefer they spent the rest of their lives in jail, not knowing when somebody is about to cut their throats, much tougher than capital punishment.

Yeah, this, relatively. In my younger more "black and white" days I'd have been a fairly strong advocate for the death penalty in cases beyond any actual doubt (Ian Huntly, Moors Murderer types). Older and maybe wiser me would rather they spend life without possibility of parole and maybe, just maybe, occasionally somebody giving them a taste of what they give him. Death's really too easy for people like this.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Thomas Hughes sentenced to 21 years in prison.

After the mother was sent to prison, the father should have been nicer than nice, overcompensating, helping Arthur to cope and treating him as extra special.

It is not just the cruelty that matters.  It is the absolute failure to be the sort of decent human being that circumstances demanded of him.

21 years to reflect on being the most pathetic example of parenting that there is.

2 hours ago, Estragon said:

I feel the same. That voice clip crushed me. I gave my boys a big hug this morning.

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Tustin sentenced to life with a minimum term of 29 years.

It's possibly a minor detail overall but I found it deeply troubling that she should be allowed the right to refuse attending sentencing and listening to the victim impact statements. The moment she was found guilty should have also been the moment she lost the right to have any choice in anything. They ought to have forcibly dragged her into that court today.

18 minutes ago, George Parr said:

It's possibly a minor detail overall but I found it deeply troubling that she should be allowed the right to refuse attending sentencing and listening to the victim impact statements. The moment she was found guilty should have also been the moment she lost the right to have any choice in anything. They ought to have forcibly dragged her into that court today.

The victim.impact statements would've meant nothing to her. She is a psychopath and incapable feelings or empath or remorse.

I noticed the stepmothers lawyer was noted as stating to judge that her client had faced intimidation and violence in prison already and it had impacted her mental health.
Boo fucking hoo.
Not that I would ever be clever enough to be qualified, but I couldn't imagine being the defence lawyer who's desk a case like this lands on. Knowing I had a duty (morally and professionally) to defend people like this to the best of my ability would be impossible for me.

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

I didn't know that was possible unless you were found unfit to plead and locked away in Broadmoor.