Arthur Labinjo-Hughes case

ICTChris

I was on a jury that had a case not as bad, but quite similar to this, basically a 3 month old baby being used as a punching bag by his father. In this case luckily Social work/doctors had got to the baby in time, but when they took him to the hospital he had 17 fractures, at 3 months old, some of them already healed up because they were so old. This included 2 fractures in his skull.
The guy sat there looking almost smug through the whole thing. The worst bit was the babies mother going on the stand to defend him. The whole thing was sickening and I hope I never have to do anything like that again. As it happens I didn't get to give a verdict, the case was stopped and we were excused. It was picked up again a month or so later and a new jury found him guilty and he was jailed for 8.5 years. I'd basically been googling the guy's name weekly in the hope of finding out what had happened and it was a massive relief when I found he'd been sent down.

My uncle is a retired social worker - worked in England. He says that it never ceased to amaze him how some families covered up abuse and paedophilia, often abetted by lawyers with zero scruples.

Not that I would ever be clever enough to be qualified, but I couldn't imagine being the defence lawyer who's desk a case like this lands on. Knowing I had a duty (morally and professionally) to defend people like this to the best of my ability would be impossible for me.

I think there becomes a point where a defence lawyer doesn’t defend anymore, but fights for the best (in the defendants case) possible sentencing. Still an absolutely abhorrent position to be in mind.

I heard that her actual other 2 kids were not abused.
However you have to wonder what a pair of cnuts they may turn out to be if they thought it was normal to be stuffing themselves with McDonalds while the poor wee guy is stood starving, cold and made to watch.

I think the judge referred to this sadistic practice during sentencing.

I hadn't heard of this until this morning when I read into it after seeing the Birmingham FC tweet. I wish I'd missed the tweet, I welled up. I still do at the thought of what happened to him. Horrible, horrible people. 

Rest well, Arthur. You deserved much more in life. 

11 minutes ago, superbigal said:

... they thought it was normal to be stuffing themselves with McDonalds while the poor wee guy is stood starving, cold and made to watch.

Obviously the physical abuse the poor kid suffered is beyond shocking but it's the stuff like this that breaks me.  Welling up again just thinking about it.

20 hours ago, accies1874 said:
22 hours ago, Detournement said:
I've heard a few details about the Hamilton case today that are extremely tragic. We'll probably be discussing it when the legal proceedings are over.

Yeah my sister told me a couple of things about it yesterday and it's just horrible. I'm not sure about the timeline but at the weekend I twice walked by the park where it happened - it's terrifying to think of something like that happening while you're completely oblivious.

Brother in Hamilton case now also charged under section two of the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2009

Oh dear !

The football teams in the Midlands will be having a one minute applause in memory of Arthur.
I hope his father is forced to watch it and see how thousands of total strangers can show more love for his son than he ever did.
They had one at the West Ham game as well. I assume it's all the grounds?

A minute's applause seems kinda weird?
Yes it is but when they try a minute's silence there is always some idiot who has to shout out something stupid. 
That is avoided when it is a minute's applause.

It was in the 6th minute at the West Ham game certainly. If it was at the start of the game I'd expect a minute silence.

Channel 4 news reported last night that Arthur has yet to be laid to rest 'due to a family dispute'.

As far as I'm aware, this hasn't been reported elsewhere.

Given the extreme nature of the case, it would be surprising if other news sources didn't highlight it.

Has Channel 4's assertion been corroborated elsewhere?

Channel 4 news reported last night that Arthur has yet to be laid to rest 'due to a family dispute'.
As far as I'm aware, this hasn't been reported elsewhere.
Given the extreme nature of the case, it would be surprising if other news sources didn't highlight it.
Has Channel 4's assertion been corroborated elsewhere?

I’m sure I read in the daily Mail his mother had made a statement to declare this.