Hibees v Steelmen 04.12.21

After our recent performances v Hearts and Dundee United I was quite upbeat and looking forward to Saturday. When you also take into account Hibs recent league form as well.  However I was very impressed with their performance tonight v Rangers. Deserved a draw imho. Same team that put 6 past us a few weeks back 😡.

With Celtic away up next we could do with a positive result to maintain some kind of momentum. I think this is a real litmus test of where we are at. We have recently beaten Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee United and kept 3 clean sheets into the bargain. If we could beat Hibs then I would be fairly confident of a top 6 finish. 

Equally we could turn in a Dens park performance, lose convincingly and leave me scratching my head as to what kind of team we are once again 🤔

Would take a point in a score draw 🤞.

Winning three of the last four probably takes the pressure of us a little bit going into this and then onto Celtic Park next week.  After that, we've got four games you'd look at and say, very winnable (St. Johnstone & Livi (h) and Ross County & St. Mirren (a)).  

There's literally no point in predicting how we'll do as it could be anything from our Pittodrie performance to the one at Dens Park.  Hibs played well last night and we were a wee bit unlucky to lose late on, albeit it was definitely a penalty.  Hopefully they are cream crackered and we can take advantage by boring them to sleep.

Would bite your hand off for a point here.

I know we have a day extra to recover but our players must have been a whole new level of knackered after battling through that on Tuesday night.
I've not been to an away game this season but am thinking of heading through. I have no idea what to expect from us but fancy a wee day out (not putting up Christmas decorations).

16 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

have no idea what to expect from us but fancy a wee day out (not putting up Christmas decorations).

This game is merely the amuse bouche to a few bevvies and some lovely Thai grub in a wee BYOB place with some mates. No doubt it will then descend into nips and shots and a sair heid on Sunday.

No second half injury time please, I need a flyer to get to the boozer in Tollcross.

You can see I am taking the match seriously........................Merry Christmas etc

Last Saturday home game of the year.

Lots of pints consumed and an exciting match between 2 of the good guys in Scottish football.

Predicting a tight home win on the balance of probability, Motherwell seem to be inconsistent and given they played very well on Tuesday I’m banking on a less well performance to come.

2_1_Hibs.jpeg

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

This game is merely the amuse bouche to a few bevvies and some lovely Thai grub in a wee BYOB place with some mates.

To take it off the normal Curry chat - Thai is my favourite and I'm always looking for recommendations - so which one are you going to and is it decent? Dusit on Thistle St has been a favourite of mine for years - used to like one called Myung Thai over the back of Hanover St but it's long gone now...

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

To take it off the normal Curry chat - Thai is my favourite and I'm always looking for recommendations - so which one are you going to and is it decent? Dusit on Thistle St has been a favourite of mine for years - used to like one called Myung Thai over the back of Hanover St but it's long gone now...

Funnily enough I was in Dusit yesterday for lunch with my wife - lovely as always, and the staff are brilliant. 

The guys I am out with on Saturday always want a BYOB gaff as opposed to focusing on the grub (last time was a place called Bluerapa opposite the polis station in Haymarket - it was "ok after a few bevvies").

We are meeting up at Tollcross Saturday, and instead of going to the "expensive" Thai (Passorn) opposite Cloisters pub we are going to a wee place in Leven Street called Absolute Thai. http://www.absolutethai.co.uk/

Its one of those generic green / red curry places, food is fine but not fine dining, if you get my drift. I was there a few years back and Dave MacPherson (ex Hearts) was there with some of his mates, he was pished and eyeing up my wife the cheeky c**t.........😂

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Winning three of the last four probably takes the pressure of us a little bit going into this and then onto Celtic Park next week.  After that, we've got four games you'd look at and say, very winnable (St. Johnstone & Livi (h) and Ross County & St. Mirren (a)).  

There's literally no point in predicting how we'll do as it could be anything from our Pittodrie performance to the one at Dens Park.  Hibs played well last night and we were a wee bit unlucky to lose late on, albeit it was definitely a penalty.  Hopefully they are cream crackered and we can take advantage by boring them to sleep.

Would bite your hand off for a point here.

I had noticed we were playing 4 of the the bottom 5 after Celtic.  Knowing us we will probably take less points from those 4 games than we did or will v Aberdeen, Hearts, United and Hibs .

We are on 24 points just now.  If we could maintain our average 1.5 points per game then that would put us on 33 points before the winter break.  That would even allow for 3 wins and 3 losses.  Hopefully that would be the least we can achieve.

Absolutely shocked that Hibs are sitting bottom of the form table for last 8 games.  With their squad and standard of play v Rangers in the last 2 games.  Do Hibs only raise their game v Rangers and Hearts ? I hope so.  Felt we deserved a draw in the opening game.  Still one of our best performances of the season. Here is hoping we can get a result.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Funnily enough I was in Dusit yesterday for lunch with my wife - lovely as always, and the staff are brilliant. 

The guys I am out with on Saturday always want a BYOB gaff as opposed to focusing on the grub (last time was a place called Bluerapa opposite the polis station in Haymarket - it was "ok after a few bevvies").

We are meeting up at Tollcross Saturday, and instead of going to the "expensive" Thai (Passorn) opposite Cloisters pub we are going to a wee place in Leven Street called Absolute Thai. http://www.absolutethai.co.uk/

Its one of those generic green / red curry places, food is fine but not fine dining, if you get my drift. I was there a few years back and Dave MacPherson (ex Hearts) was there with some of his mates, he was pished and eyeing up my wife the cheeky c**t.........😂

If there is one thing that would put me off my dinner, it would be the sight of Dave McPherson - one of my most hated players of all time.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

I haven’t had the chance to go yet but the Thai on Cockburn street is meant to be quality. Think it’s called Kruaha Kuhn Mae Thai.

Ironically enough, I’m going for a few pints and a curry on Saturday afternoon rather than the game itself.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Don't worry about it.  I've heard hee-haw...hee-haw...hee-haw...he always does that sort of thing!

That joke is very much dedicated to my old man, who to this day makes a variation of that gag whenever Dave McPherson makes his way into the conversation.  Like Swello, he still fucking despises him!

Guest superward
2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I had noticed we were playing 4 of the the bottom 5 after Celtic.  Knowing us we will probably take less points from those 4 games than we did or will v Aberdeen, Hearts, United and Hibs ..

That run/split of games (no pun intended) continues for 2022 too. First 6 games after winter break are Vs top 6 + Aberdeen, last 5 before split v bottom 6.

4 months since we played Hibs on the opening day, but since then we've played Dundee twice in less than 40 days.

Odd way it's turned out fixture wise this season.

Edited by superward

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

Don't worry about it.  I've heard hee-haw...hee-haw...hee-haw...he always does that sort of thing!

That joke is very much dedicated to my old man, who to this day makes a variation of that gag whenever Dave McPherson makes his way into the conversation.  Like Swello, he still fucking despises him!

The combination of Henry Smith, Craig Levein & McPherson still winds me up - Hearts were a *very* easy team to hate when I started going

I haven't been to Dusit for ages! Thanks for the reminder, that'll be one of my next stops for dinner with the fiancée.

I'm really looking forward to this one, more so because it's my 'home' game and I've got a mate coming through for a wee day out in EH6 - a few beers on Leith Walk and some food after the game (any food recommendations are welcome). On that note, have any Hibees been to that new pub on Easter Road called Old Eastway Tap yet? I'm very much a Tennent's man but do enjoy a wee craft beer as well and it looks like a decent new option for something a bit different. 

On the game, who knows what Motherwell team will turn up? If it's the Hearts/Dundee Utd one then I'm confident we can take something from the game even though I felt Hibs played quite well last night and were unfortunate to lose. If it's the Dundee one, we may as well not bother getting on the bus. Martin Boyle will score against us as he always does no matter what version of Motherwell we get. 

There'll be some enforced changes in the team with Maguire's red card and big Sol going off injured during the week. Hopefully we'll have O'Hara and Ojala back fit to provide some depth, but if not we'll be pretty thin in certain areas especially central defence where it'll only be Mugabi and Lamie that are fit - although that's not anywhere near as concerning as it would have been 12 months ago. 

I'll go for an entertaining 2-2, which I'd gladly take. 

My cars going for a service on Saturday so I’m giving this a miss due to the fact I’m skint.

Hopefully O’Hara is back to replace Maguire as I don’t want Grimmy starting. I’d still start Carroll ahead of McGinley but we all know that isn’t happening.

f**k knows what the score will be? I’d guess 2-0 Hibs.

10 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

My cars going for a service on Saturday so I’m giving this a miss die to the fact I’m skint.

Hopefully O’Hara is back to replace Maguire as I don’t want Grimmy starting. I’d still start Carroll ahead of McGinley but we all know that isn’t happening.

f**k knows what the score will be? I’d guess 2-0 Hibs.

I know the assumption is that we'll stick with 433 because...Grezza but see if no one else is fit to come back would there not be an argument for just changing the shape rather than chucking Grimmy in for a repeat of the Dundee shambles?

Kelly
SOD Mugabi Lamie McGinley
Slattery Goss
Roberts Watt Woolery
KVV

I know the assumption is that we'll stick with 433 because...Grezza but see if no one else is fit to come back would there not be an argument for just changing the shape rather than chucking Grimmy in for a repeat of the Dundee shambles?
Kelly
SOD Mugabi Lamie McGinley
Slattery Goss
Roberts Watt Woolery
KVV

I’d happily go with that.

2 hours ago, dezz said:

On that note, have any Hibees been to that new pub on Easter Road called Old Eastway Tap yet? I'm very much a Tennent's man but do enjoy a wee craft beer as well and it looks like a decent new option for something a bit different. 

Yeah I've been and liked it. Got a similar boozer by the same brewery in Portobello and I reckon the stuff they have in is on the nicer end of the pale ale spectrum. Would recommend the Wee Braw, Crossborders IPA and New Barns Pale Ale (If they have it on - if they do I'd say this is best). 

Occasionally get to see some Four-In-Hand/Riordans punters come in, visible confusion appearing on their faces and that of the new hipster clientele. 

If there is one thing that would put me off my dinner, it would be the sight of Dave McPherson - one of my most hated players of all time.
You'd need to take Nick Cusack with you!

I've just looked and buying a ticket for this game and the only option seems to be to collect it from Fir Park. I've not been to an away game this season - is there not an option to get an electronic ticket?