Clyde v Peterheed

Horrific first half, reasonable second half. In the first half, all Peterhead had to do was give the ball to their full back and tell them to run at their Clyde opposite number. Knock it 10 yards in front and breeze past them then cross into the box. Ref had a bit of a shocker today as well, highlights I remember:

• Jones being booked for getting kicked in the area
  • no foul for a kick to the head on Livingstone
  • sprinting as fast as possible to book Tade 

and for fairness, I thought that Peterhead could have had a couple of penalty shouts toward the end, especially Docherty trying to haul back the striker in the box and bizarrely the PH player not claiming for it. 

Took in the game today with my son who is 9. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it. 

First half Clyde were absolutely horrendous and could easily have been more than 2 down due to a severe lack of defensive know how, and effort it seemed. The Penalty on half time gave them a route back into the game they didn't really deserve.

Second half and Clyde looked like a different team. They were snapping at Peterhead from the off, the urgency in their play far removed from the apathy shown in the 1st period. Goodwillie showed why he is so pivotal to the Bully Wee with a fantastic equaliser. In the words of my son "he sent the defender to the shops". 

Clyde continued to press and were looking likely to take the lead but couldn't quite find the elusive 3rd. Despite how unpopular Jones seems to be with the Clyde Support, I felt he offered far more than Tade and Clyde noticeably dropped off after that change was made.

For the last 20 it was anyone's game with chances at either end. A draw was probably about right.

The wee man loved the noise and atmosphere shown by the Clyde fans we were sitting amongst and was asking in the car when we can go again! All in all great value for his £1 entry fee👍🏻

Edited by ARFC Exile

6 minutes ago, ARFC Exile said:

First half Clyde were absolutely horrendous and could easily have been more than 2 down due to a severe lack of defensive know how, and effort it seemed. The Penalty on half time gave them a route back into the game they didn't really deserve.

Second half and Clyde looked like a different team. They were snapping at Peterhead from the off, the urgency in their play far removed from the apathy shown in the 1st period. Goodwillie showed why he is so pivotal to the Bully Wee with a fantastic equaliser. In the words of my son "he sent the defender to the shops". 

Clyde continued to press and were looking likely to take the lead but couldn't quite find the elusive 3rd. Despite how unpopular Jones seems to be with the Clyde Support, I felt he offered far more than Tade and Clyde noticeably dropped off after that change was made.

For the last 20 it was anyone's game with chances at either end. A draw was probably about right.

The wee man loved the noise and atmosphere shown by the Clyde fans we were sitting amongst and was asking in the car when we can go again! All in all great value for his £1 entry fee👍🏻

I would say you summed up the game very well there and glad your son enjoyed it. 

45 minutes ago, ARFC Exile said:

Glad you and your son enjoyed the game

Always good to see how a neutral views our game

Amazed that you thought Jones was any good.  Give it a few more games to see what us Clyde fans really know as the truth

51 minutes ago, ARFC Exile said:

Story of our season. We only turn up for the last 45.

Jones is awful, absolutely awful. I gave him a shot by oh my one of the worst players I've seen in a while. 

4 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

Get Jones in the bin and tade on please

I'm not one to go on gut reaction, honest.  Big Gregory, unusually, offered very little when he came on today. Jones is frustrating for sure, but he did set up our chances in the 1st half.

Despite Spilane being an uncommonly poor passer of the ball, for a footballer, he had a decent 2nd half. 

Who was our trailist?  He looked like page and Spilane had a love child who was 'blessed' with his parents' pace and distribution.

23 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

In Danny’s post match interview: he sees Jones burying chances all the time in training. emoji23.png

I’m not having it, he looks like he’s never played football before on a match day.

Personally, I thought the most telling phrase was, "if I'm going to be here or not". 9 really important words.

Didn’t recognise the trialist but didn’t think too much of him when he came on. Seemed to have no positional awareness and took some awful touches.

For what it’s worth, the 5 or so minutes before Jones came off we’re the best I’ve seen him in a Clyde shirt. I feel bad for the boy. He does try, he’s just playing way above his ceiling.

It's interesting to see that Peterhead played a 352; they've generally always played a back four since McInally went there? 

Weighing up the relative qualities of the teams and you have two sides with a good League 1 goalkeeper and an outstanding League 1 player in Goodwillie/Scott Brown. Then it's teams packed with guys that no-one else would particularly want. I don't think that Peterhead are particularly good but they've got players who can run and compete. The three Clyde players I mentioned earlier (Gomis, Docherty, Elsdon) are all slow across the ground and it was painful watching them today. You can add Love, Page and Jones to that as well in terms of just being slow. Peterhead had a bit of structure to their set-up, Clyde spent the entire first half moving players around, demanding that Love and Cunningham (later, Deveney) play tighter. What that meant is that we had no plan to exploit the weak point of a 352, namely exposing the wing-backs.

We all know that Scott Brown is a great player and we seemed to designate Gomis to almost mark him. However, that left two other midfielders, and Savoury who dropped off the front. Splaine was completely over-ran in there and what is worse, it continued for basically the entire 90 minutes. Instead of giving a pointless trialist a run-out we should have put Kennedy on, or put Deveney more central and tried to get a bit of possession. We got out of jail once the initial energy in the second half wore off.

I didn't mention Livingstone earlier; I thought he did okay out of position, though given he was our out-ball in the first half, him cutting back onto his left slowed down a few of our attacks. I could get people moaning about Splaine last week but he was good today given he was surrounded by a complete mess of a midfield. Jones has to score the chance he had and whilst he's been guilty of it all season, I just couldn't see a dive at all in the incident where he got booked. He's caused Peterhead a few problems this year but if we're judging him as a target man, then you can compare him with the guy at the other end. That was the best I've seen Russell McLean play, by an absolute mile. He absolutely ran Page and Elsdon ragged. 

I also thought Mulligan had a good game. I am absolutely staggered that yet another team managed to find a competent loanee, whilst we could only find a third choice left-back.

Given how we were playing prior, if I'd been offered a win and three draws from the last four I'd have taken it. Especially as we were losing in three of the games. It does mean we really need to try and find a win in one of the next three though. I totally get the argument about how you shouldn't necessarily keep a manager just because you can't see an obvious replacement but he's still getting a ton of effort out of the limited players that he's signed. Given some of the other stuff going about the club at the moment, I do wonder if he really is the least of our worries.

2 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

In Danny’s post match interview: he sees Jones burying chances all the time in training. emoji23.png

I’m not having it, he looks like he’s never played football before on a match day.

Don’t forget in training it should be a lot easier, he’s playing against our own defence.

Let's take the positives from this.  Rescuing a draw from 0-2 down feels far better than squandering a 2-0 lead.  We maintained the gap over East Fife and closed up on Dumbarton by a point.  We play a team with a naive manager who we have already beaten in 2021 next so the possibility of getting out of the play off position next Saturday is there.

While I agree that Lennon's recruitment and tactics have been questionable this season haranguing him during the game won't achieve anything.  Get off his case.

Many have said DL /AM should go now.  And replace them with whom exactly?

Why was the scorer of Peterhead's first goal (name escapes me) not booked for a confrontational celebration in front of the Clyde fans?

Here's hoping Ross Cunningham is okay.  He looked to be in serious pain when being put on the stretcher. 

Edited by Scarves

2 hours ago, Scarves said:

Let's take the positives from this.  Rescuing a draw from 0-2 down feels far better than squandering a 2-0 lead.  We maintained the gap over East Fife and closed up on Dumbarton by a point.  We play a team with a naive manager who we have already beaten in 2021 next so the possibility of getting out of the play off position next Saturday is there.

While I agree that Lennon's recruitment and tactics have been questionable this season haranguing him during the game won't achieve anything.  Get off his case.

Why was the scorer of Peterhead's first goal (name escapes me) not booked for a confrontational celebration in front of the Clyde fans?

Here's hoping Ross Cunningham is okay.  He looked to be in serious pain when being put on the stretcher. 

Why was the scorer of Peterhead's first goal (name escapes me) not booked for a confrontational celebration in front of the Clyde fans?                        Russell Mclean ,, he,s about 7ft and can confront any c@nt he wants .. He cares not about Clyde.. Sorry,,

13 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

I’m not having it, he looks like he’s never played football before (full stop).

Sorry buddy, but I feel that I need to correct that second sentence there.  

Basically put up or shut up? Seeing as the crowd was less than 500 then fair to say plenty of fans have had enough.