Jump to content

Pundits! But Scottish


Genuine Hibs Fan
 Share

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Cracking thread, most enjoyable.

Anyway, Neil Mackay. An apparently pro-indy scribbler who is presumably only tolerated by The Herald because his one column can be distilled down to "When people can still say "f**k" or call me a "breathtakingly tedious c**t" on social media, it makes me wonder whether independence is really going to deliver the kind of Scotland I would want for me and......" at which point I slip into a coma.

 

Neil-MacKay-Headshot-removebg-preview.jpeg

Isn't that the Rev Stu in a Beatles wig? 

It might explain a lot...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

Please tell me more about Robert Sommyne’s take on Haggerty. I missed that.

He has deleted his Twitter now so the evidence is gone but went on a massive Subtweet about workplace bullying, being thick as mince, completely out of her depth and all round horrible piece of work.

 

I was moved to go and look up what became of commonspace, it seems even their hilarious offshoot finally died this year with this typically overlong, no self awareness word salad.

https://sourcenews.scot/sean-bell-the-long-goodbye/ 

Edited by invergowrie arab
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

What's he done? 

Without wanting to say directly as I guess it could get me/the forum in trouble, there was an incident with a very good friend of mine which ended with her in tears and traumatized, my mates and I having to shoulder her door because he'd locked himself in, and him jumping out a first floor window to avoid getting his c**t kicked in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

He has deleted his Twitter now so the evidence is gone but went on a massive Subtweet about workplace bullying, being thick as mince, completely out of her depth and all round horrible piece of work.

 

I was moved to go and look up what became of commonspace, it seems even their hilarious offshoot finally died this year with this typically overlong, no self awareness word salad.

https://sourcenews.scot/sean-bell-the-long-goodbye/ 

That was a truly irritating an amusing read. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

Some Macwhirter brain worms here.

'Is Nicola Sturgeon the Margaret Thatcher of oil ?'

It’s a jarring thought but when you read it, it makes you think. Maybe she is. Or would like to be.

Edited by Thorongil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

It’s a jarring thought but when you read it, it makes you think. Maybe she is. Or would like to be.

danny-de-vito-no.gif.ef622c7e53e9b4fd76f0bba315699442.gif

Thatcher's attacks on the coal industry were very much an ideological attack on organised labour.

So not really comparable at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

danny-de-vito-no.gif.ef622c7e53e9b4fd76f0bba315699442.gif

Thatcher's attacks on the coal industry were very much an ideological attack on organised labour.

So not really comparable at all.

And it was cheaper to get Colombian children to dig our coal than pay decent wages at home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

Not really tbh.

They are both women I suppose, so there's a similarity straight away.

Both political leaders. Both country heads. Both seeking an end to a particular industry. 
So there are some parallels that can be drawn, whether you believe one is right and one was wrong or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Both political leaders. Both country heads. Both seeking an end to a particular industry. 
So there are some parallels that can be drawn, whether you believe one is right and one was wrong or not.

So, the only comparisons are trite and superficial ones then ?

Tremendous content from Macwhirter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

So, the only comparisons are trite and superficial ones then ?

Tremendous content from Macwhirter.

You made the superficial comparison about them both being women. Political leadership, heads of governments and policy around industry aren’t superficial.

Is McWhirter’s piece a Pulitzer contender? No. Is it entirely devoid of merit? No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Reductive. What about their policies with regard to energy industries?

Energy. Is. Reserved. 

It is utterly bizarre to accuse the FM of being like Thatcher over a policy decision she not only hasn't implemented but can't.

The only way to make that comparison would be if she said "f**k the North East and send in soldiers dressed as policeman on horseback if they give any lip."

Which she also couldn't do, even if she wanted to (but for clarity doesn't as she isn't a spiteful human hating monster) as defence is also reserved. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Energy. Is. Reserved. 

It is utterly bizarre to accuse the FM of being like Thatcher over a policy decision she not only hasn't implemented but can't.

The only way to make that comparison would be if she said "f**k the North East and send in soldiers dressed as policeman on horseback if they give any lip."

Which she also couldn't do, even if she wanted to (but for clarity doesn't as she isn't a spiteful human hating monster) as defence is also reserved. 

I’m well aware that energy is reserved, and so is McWhirter. I’m sure you are well aware though that ScotGov has a veto over new projects and developments and that the Scottish Government creates its own energy policy within the devolved framework.

McWhirter’s piece is entirely speculative that the oil sector would have something to fear from Sturgeon in the event of independence. He’s probably right about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Thorongil said:

I’m well aware that energy is reserved, and so is McWhirter. I’m sure you are well aware though that ScotGov has a veto over new projects and developments and that the Scottish Government creates its own energy policy within the devolved framework.

McWhirter’s piece is entirely speculative that the oil sector would have something to fear from Sturgeon in the event of independence. He’s probably right about that.

MacWhirters piece is hysterical drivel. And that you have entertained it and me your responses to it, has done neither of us any favours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

MacWhirters piece is hysterical drivel. And that you have entertained it and me your responses to it, has done neither of us any favours. 

It arguably is hysterical drivel. And the same can be said of the response to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...