Pundits! But Scottish

Genuine Hibs Fan

On 05/12/2021 at 16:49, Thorongil said:

Both political leaders. Both country heads. Both seeking an end to a particular industry. 
So there are some parallels that can be drawn, whether you believe one is right and one was wrong or not.

This wouldn't even get you a pass at Higher Modern Studies bro

18 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

McKenna makes a semblance of a good point here re the general small time authoritarianism of the current SNP but appears to have opened himself up to a hard drive check by going off an unhinged rant about offering children sex dolls and massage oil.

Interesting timing to go after the named person's scheme when the news has been full of a story which would have likely been far less tragic were such a scheme in place. Fortunately no one pays him any attention anyway.

20211206_162812.jpg

McKenna is a hack and is a symptom of serious dumbing down at the Herald. He "replaced" Ian Bell in the same way that Shinnie replaced Robertson away to Kazakhstan. He does a fair amount of vacuous grandstanding while banging the drum for perceived anti-catholic persecution.

He's the Neil Lennon of journalism.

On 07/12/2021 at 10:41, velo army said:

McKenna is a hack and is a symptom of serious dumbing down at the Herald. He "replaced" Ian Bell in the same way that Shinnie replaced Robertson away to Kazakhstan. He does a fair amount of vacuous grandstanding while banging the drum for perceived anti-catholic persecution.

Good post.  For about the last three months McKenna has basically re-ordered the words and phrases of the exact same anti-Scottish Government/SNP diatribe whilst presenting himself as a champion of the left-behind sector of WoS society, with as you say a strong whiff of dog-whistle sanctimony.  

I was also taken recently by an article by The Herald's Garry Scott in which he laid claim to the paper having a balanced political stance.  This will be the same Herald which boasts Andrew Dunlop, Struan Stevenson, Andrew McKie, Andy McIver, Brian Wilson, Adam Tomkins and Mark Smith as regular right-wing contributors, not to mention the politically sex-changed Iain McWhirter and the bampot libertarian Stuart Waiton.

The have chosen the hill they wish to die on, and die it on it the paper likely will. 

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Good post.  For about the last three months McKenna has basically re-ordered the words and phrases of the exact same anti-Scottish Government/SNP diatribe whilst presenting himself as a champion of the left-behind sector of WoS society, with as you say a strong whiff of dog-whistle sanctimony.  

I was also taken recently by an article by The Herald's Garry Scott in which he laid claim to the paper having a balanced political stance.  This will be the same Herald which boasts Andrew Dunlop, Struan Stevenson, Andrew McKie, Andy McIver, Brian Wilson, Adam Tomkins and Mark Smith as regular right-wing contributors, not to mention the politically sex-changed Iain McWhirter and the bampot libertarian Stuart Waiton.

The have chosen the hill they wish to die on, and die it on it the paper likely will. 

I haven't regularly read the herald since Ian Bell died, but at the time the paper was balanced. I loved Andrew McKie's column at the time as he was a smart and reasonable conservative voice whose opinion tested my own lefty view on life. It leavened the likes of Bell, a communist and the various other lefty voices. Recently however, as you say, the "balance" appears to be just a rearrangement of the same centre right/right wing sentiment. 

20 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Balanced is one thing. It's having the worst c***s from all sides I'm not so keen on.

On 06/12/2021 at 16:36, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

McKenna makes a semblance of a good point here re the general small time authoritarianism of the current SNP but appears to have opened himself up to a hard drive check by going off an unhinged rant about offering children sex dolls and massage oil.

Interesting timing to go after the named person's scheme when the news has been full of a story which would have likely been far less tragic were such a scheme in place. Fortunately no one pays him any attention anyway.

20211206_162812.jpg

Most of what McKenna says there is absolutely spot on.

I've always considered him to be one of the decent ones in terms of journalists.  He thinks outside the box and isn't afraid to go against the orthodoxy.

On 11/12/2021 at 20:04, Scott Steiner said:

Most of what McKenna says there is absolutely spot on.

I've always considered him to be one of the decent ones in terms of journalists.  He thinks outside the box and isn't afraid to go against the orthodoxy.

He does let himself down with his nostalgic penchant for kids being assaulted by their parents.

On 07/12/2021 at 10:41, velo army said:

He and that composer have often made me embarrassed to be a Catholic, and the hierarchy of the Church in Scotland does that enough for anyone’s taste. 

He’s a close friend of Angela Haggerty. Need I say more?

Edited by Thorongil

10 hours ago, Thorongil said:

He and that composer have often made me embarrassed to be a Catholic, and the hierarchy of the Church in Scotland does that enough for anyone’s taste. 

He’s a close friend of Angela Haggerty. Need I say more?

That composer will be James McMillan.  McKenna is also a chum of Chris McEleny and has referred to him in past articles.  Curiously, he never mentions him now.

1 hour ago, Scott Steiner said:

Why don't you like James MacMillan, out of interest?

I used to enjoy reading his take on various issues when I followed him on twitter years ago.

He’s a complete MOPE, Scott. one of these people who sees anti-Catholic bigotry in his cereal, sandwiches and spaghetti bolognese. And he claims he thinks it’s bad but he doesn’t. He gets a huge thrill from masturbating his imaginary victimhood.

2 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

He’s a complete MOPE, Scott. one of these people who sees anti-Catholic bigotry in his cereal, sandwiches and spaghetti bolognese. And he claims he thinks it’s bad but he doesn’t. He gets a huge thrill from masturbating his imaginary victimhood.

Fair play min.

To be honest, I can't even remember why I liked him on twitter all those years ago.