Aberdeen Vs Livingston - 1/12

Only caught the highlights of this. Livi looked like they were going to score from the two attacks that were shown. One of them had Jet covering half the 18 yard line himself. Fortunately Livi were dung at shooting. Unconvinced we're any less chaotic and frail at the back. Still, 2 good goals, no injuries, 3 points. Glass half full. 

8 hours ago, coprolite said:

Only caught the highlights of this. Livi looked like they were going to score from the two attacks that were shown. One of them had Jet covering half the 18 yard line himself. Fortunately Livi were dung at shooting. Unconvinced we're any less chaotic and frail at the back. Still, 2 good goals, no injuries, 3 points. Glass half full. 

They generally try and select highlights that look dangerous, tbf 

Sportscene did well to capture the only things the Emmanuel-Thomas did right in the whole match. I thought he was abysmal the entire match, giving the ball away and getting caught in possession time after time. I thought everyone else had decent games, apart from Joe Lewis, who had absolutely nothing to do and must have been freezing.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Our passing and movement in the 1st half especially were excellent. I had Hibs - Rangers on in the background and that was turgid guff compared with how we were moving the ball around. 

I've been critical of the team this season (noooooooooooo), but credit where credit is due, that 45 minutes was as good as anything we've seen from Aberdeen under Glass. 

There are still questions marks about how we cope when teams push players further forward, as Livi/Motherwell etc did in the 2nd half, and press us higher up the park. We're vulnerable to giving the ball away and then being caught short-handed at the back. 

At that point Hedges/Watkins and Ramirez all become virtual passengers and we start to look shaky. 

Jim Goodwin isn't stupid, he'll know how shaky we can be defensively. And given that St Mirren are a better side than Livi, it'll be interesting to see how Saturday's game goes. 

Longridge caught out of position for Aberdeen's first goal then his sending off ended any chance for us to equalise. I hope Penrice has moved ahead of him in the pecking order now, certainly as  wing back. Longridge can maybe do a job as left back in a 4 but I don't want to see him as our left wing back again.

50 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

JET is conceptually quite sound. It’s just the reality that is sometimes found wanting. 

I thought he was good last night. With Aberdeen's first goal, JET took up a position behind Livi's two centre mids but in front of our defence. That pulled our centre back Obileye forward from our back line. Our back 3 was then reduced to a back 2 and JET straight away turned and fed forward to Ramirez who played in Hedges, free in the wide right space as Parkes had had to move inside to cover Obileye. That is JET's game. He drops deep or peels into channels like this which drags defences out of shape and creates space for himself or teammates to exploit.

A much needed result and a decent performance from the dons. I was starting to hate the negativity from the fans so hopefully this win gives us confidence and we can go on a winning run. 

Happy to see Bates put in another good performance for the club and maybe he was needing to get some much needed game time and also settle into a new place. 

Edited by betting competition

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

I thought he was good last night. With Aberdeen's first goal, JET took up a position behind Livi's two centre mids but in front of our defence. That pulled our centre back Obileye forward from our back line. Our back 3 was then reduced to a back 2 and JET straight away turned and fed forward to Ramirez who played in Hedges, free in the wide right space as Parkes had had to move inside to cover Obileye. That is JET's game. He drops deep or peels into channels like this which drags defences out of shape and creates space for himself or teammates to exploit.

I thought he was pretty good too. He has some really frustrating moments, and I might not be so generous about his performance if that time he slipped on the ball in the first half on the halfway line had ended up with Livingston scoring, but he can play a tactically important role - and he did that last night for the most part. 

39 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I thought he was pretty good too. He has some really frustrating moments, and I might not be so generous about his performance if that time he slipped on the ball in the first half on the halfway line had ended up with Livingston scoring, but he can play a tactically important role - and he did that last night for the most part. 

He's also a phenomenal outball if we're under a bit of pressure.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Sportscene did well to capture the only things the Emmanuel-Thomas did right in the whole match. I thought he was abysmal the entire match, giving the ball away and getting caught in possession time after time. I thought everyone else had decent games, apart from Joe Lewis, who had absolutely nothing to do and must have been freezing.

I think that's a bit harsh.

He definitely has his flaws and is lazy - and really managed to constantly upset some of those around me.

However, there were some moments of quality in there too - doing things that other couldn't, including a couple of decent through balls that deserved better outcomes.

He's probably a guy for home games against bottom six clubs, when you can maybe carry one passenger in terms of all the ugly/workhorse/tracking back type stuff - and maybe has that x factor in that you feel he may do something unexpectedly good out of nowhere.

Still think that 20-goal target could be a struggle though.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Interesting this. And I’m not meaning to have a go. 

You had a fair go at me for similar language about jack gurr the other week. I thought JET was ok with a few frustrating moments last night. I guess we maybe have pre-formed opinions with a bit of confirmation bias when we post on here. 

But jack gurr really is abysmal. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Interesting this. And I’m not meaning to have a go. 

You had a fair go at me for similar language about jack gurr the other week. I thought JET was ok with a few frustrating moments last night. I guess we maybe have pre-formed opinions with a bit of confirmation bias when we post on here. 

But jack gurr really is abysmal. 

Shots fired.

Guest Bob Mahelp

JET is the ultimate footballing enigma, isn't he ? 

Depending on the type of game it is, he's either unplayable or abysmal. 

On one hand you have the lazy arsed guy that doesn't seem to work hard for the team, and on the other hand you've got the guy that came on for 60 minutes at Tynecastle and bodied the whole Hearts team to the extent that they're probably still having nightmares about him just now. 

That was probably the best individual performance of any Dons' player this season.

I thought that was probably his best performance last night since Tynecastle. Not perfect by any means, but he linked up very well with Hedges, Watkins and Ramirez. 

Sadly, we won't get away with the luxury of having him in the starting XI every week.