Thistle v Diamonds

diamondman

Thistle deserved the win overall. We started at our usual high intensity and looked good but after that Thistle were the better team until the sending off. I’m not convinced it was a sending off but either way we never really took advantage of it. Allan and Smith caused their defence problems all day but again, we had very little in the way of clear chances to show for it. Scott Tiffoney was the best player on the park, we never really got to grips with him and the few times he was stopped it was usually the pitch rather than our players.

Thistle’s time wasting in the second half was excellent. It’s frustrating when it’s not your team but that’s exactly what I would want Airdrie to do in that situation.

I’m disappointed to be out but I can’t have any complaints, much more important that we win our two league games next week anyway.

The only disappointment was that we couldn't add to our lead, thought we played well for most of the match and thoroughly deserved the win. Not seen it again, but that absolutely didn't look like a foul and I'd suspect we may look to appeal the red card. Referees are such easy targets but he really did have a horrid game. 

As much as the handball against Killie last week annoyed me it was 'just' a bad call. They happen. 

That today was a referee losing complete control and completely out his depth. 

Ultimately it didn't cost us a place in the next round and turned, first 20 minutes aside, what was shaping up to a pretty routine win into a game with a bit of edge and, as we won, was enjoyable. 

Sneddon had one good save and there were a couple of iffy moments but we largely controlled that game with ten men. 

Airdrie fans still have that vile element to their support so that made the win that bit more pleasing. 

Annan please in the next round. 

On the football we only were in it for about 15 minutes in first half . I could argue that the goal was against the run of play but that's grasping at straws. We always look likely to lose goals from that side, and Thistle were in full control till the Red Card. I thought it was just a tussle and probably a yellow but I am no referee. All the ball for the most part from then on but  only the Frizzel miss to groan about. Good luck to Thistle who do have good attackers but that defence looks suspect.  

5 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

On the football we only were in it for about 15 minutes in first half . I could argue that the goal was against the run of play but that's grasping at straws. We always look likely to lose goals from that side, and Thistle were in full control till the Red Card. I thought it was just a tussle and probably a yellow but I am no referee. All the ball for the most part from then on but  only the Frizzel miss to groan about. Good luck to Thistle who do have good attackers but that defence looks suspect.  

Ironically it’s the other way round- 10 clean sheets in the last 13 games, but too many 0-0s

2 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I take it from the 7 police vans racing down Garscube Road that the away support left the ground in a state of hilarious meltdown. Pleasing. 

There was a group of Thistle fans loitering outside the stand when I was leaving. By the time I made it to the car at Lidl a few vans had passed me and several more went by before I even made it onto the motorway. The whole things is pretty embarrassing, particularly the boy making a nazi salute beside the Trump flag. Most of our fans are genuinely sick of nonsense like that but there always seems to be that element unfortunately.

I thought Airdrie were pretty good up until our goal, which was a fortunate deflected through pass this that fell to Smith who squared it to Graham for a tap in. Fortune to take the lead, but after that there was only really one team in it, and I didn’t feel too threatened even although we spent 40 minutes a man down. Docherty and Mayo in particular were excellent in keeping the pressure off us.

Actually quite enjoyed having a bit of needle to the game, which is something sorely lacking from most games these days. A decent travelling support in terms of numbers, although the Union Jacks and Donald Trump flag were a complete riddy.

Comfortable enough and through to the next round. All you can really ask for.

I thought Airdrie were pretty good up until our goal, which was a fortunate deflected through pass this that fell to Smith who squared it to Graham for a tap in. Fortune to take the lead, but after that there was only really one team in it, and I didn’t feel too threatened even although we spent 40 minutes a man down. Docherty and Mayo in particular were excellent in keeping the pressure off us.
Actually quite enjoyed having a bit of needle to the game, which is something sorely lacking from most games these days. A decent travelling support in terms of numbers, although the Union Jacks and Donald Trump flag were a complete riddy.
Comfortable enough and through to the next round. All you can really ask for.

Will admit the Union flags are a ridneck but the Trump flag has always been intended to be a pisstake. The amount of opposition fans it gets rattled is great viewing. Can’t complain about the result, but was good to see that we could put up competition against an ambitious championship side. Ps, the thistle keeper is a timewasting c**t xx