Motherwell vs Dundee United - 30th November - 19:45 kick off

Delighted to take the points tonight in very difficult conditions, but it really should have been a bit more comfortable with some of the chances we passed up. Van Veen and O'Donnell the main culprits on that front, while at the other end Utd had some spells of possession without ever troubling Kelly's goal.

Another great showing from Tony Watt, capped with a cracking goal. His all round game and effort is superb just now and he surely must be forcing his way into Steve Clarkes thoughts for the national team.

After the insipid shitshow at Dens at the weekend, tonight's performance was committed and energetic, and 3 wins from 4 ain't bad going at all. On to Easter Rd next, just a matter of which Motherwell side decide to show up on Saturday.

Maguire, Goss and Slattery looks like it might be a functional midfield for us which makes Baz’s red card even more annoying. There was no need!

That was another excellent team performance and in the end it should have been more comfortable. Woolery has looked so much more confident in the last two home games at taking the ball and running with it. He needs to keep that shit up. Watt and KVV were great at holding the ball up.

The United posters on here seem a sound bunch.

18 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

The United posters on here seem a sound bunch.

Agreed. Good lads after both games this season. 

I felt we played really well for the first 20/25 mins then we dropped a level until half time. Second half we went full Alexanderball, but should have had a couple more on the break. Wasn't van Veen's night at all. 

Utd seemed a bit toothless upfront, but I know they were missing a few. 

It wasn't pretty to much (it rarely is these days) but three points pretty vital considering where we are in the next two games. 

A real horrible Scottish winter game - and weirdly enjoyable to watch as it got progressively more farcical - lovely to see some dives that ended with an actual splash.

It was definitely the kind of game you prefer to be ahead in - Utd really struggled to chase it and when the conditions deteriorated, it was only going to be a set piece that was going to threaten (although, them sticking to their principles and passing it out from the back on a surface with the consistency of a half-set jelly was refreshing).

As in the Hearts game, we have definitely hit on a functional midfield 3 and we are definitely getting a tune out of Goss, which is a very pleasant surprise. I thought Woolery again is showing all the signs of someone that is settling in - he probably needs to add some goals to his game though. Watt ran himself to a standstill tonight - It's getting to the point where he will be getting an offer from someone with more cash unfortunately.

Saturday was (apparently) a shocker - but 9 points off Aberdeen, Hearts and Utd is decent.

Tonight was similar to the Hearts game for me. Expected more from United but like last week, the wave of dominant possession / chance creation never really came.

Some of the play we put together at times is an absolute joy to watch and Tony Watt is undoubtedly up there with the best in the league. Makes it frustrating when we put in performances like we did at dens on Saturday.

Can’t comment on Maguire’s red card as I didn’t even realise it happened, saw him going off and Carroll lining up so assumed it was a sub, then Van Veen’s name was read and I was quickly informed Maguire had been sent off... tbh I think I was too busy thinking about getting back to the car for a heat.

I've just seen a few snippets of the game on Sky Sports News. Watt's goal looks even better from behind the goal and I have some sympathy for Maguire. The United player misses the ball as it holds up on the pitch and Maguire slides through on him. If the ball had held up he might have put a decent challenge but he shouldn't really have been diving in and taking the chance.

The game became farcical as the second half wore on but for all United's possession, I thought we looked smarter on the ball and the more likely to score.

3 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Shout-out to the sad united smoke bomb at the end to round of a fine evenings entertainment.

I love a sad smoke bomb.
Hearts had one anaw and the last one I remember before that was the Rangers fan in the Main stand during the playoff. Johnson scored he lit it, threw it on to the park and walked straight out the stadium.

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I love a sad smoke bomb.
Hearts had one anaw and the last one I remember before that was the Rangers fan in the Main stand during the playoff. Johnson scored he lit it, threw it on to the park and walked straight out the stadium.

A wee 94th minute smoke bomb to mark a 'Well clean sheet is brilliant - hope we see a few more.

Overall we deserved that win. Watt's goal being the only competent bit of football shown in 90 minutes. I'm not really sure I remember Liam Kelly making a save tbh. As the second half went on it was comical. Like watching a game of football in a paddling pool. SOD getting denied a tap in by a puddle just to top it all off. 

As for Tony Watt? I adore him. He's class at football and he runs himself into the ground every week. 

8 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The effort Tony was putting in was comical at times, rolling about in puddles fighting for the ball.

Sounds like exactly the type of player every team needs. 

10 hours ago, Swello said:

A real horrible Scottish winter game - and weirdly enjoyable to watch as it got progressively more farcical - lovely to see some dives that ended with an actual splash.

It was definitely the kind of game you prefer to be ahead in - Utd really struggled to chase it and when the conditions deteriorated, it was only going to be a set piece that was going to threaten (although, them sticking to their principles and passing it out from the back on a surface with the consistency of a half-set jelly was refreshing).

As in the Hearts game, we have definitely hit on a functional midfield 3 and we are definitely getting a tune out of Goss, which is a very pleasant surprise. I thought Woolery again is showing all the signs of someone that is settling in - he probably needs to add some goals to his game though. Watt ran himself to a standstill tonight - It's getting to the point where he will be getting an offer from someone with more cash unfortunately.

Saturday was (apparently) a shocker - but 9 points off Aberdeen, Hearts and Utd is decent.

I thought he done his hand to the badge and pointed to the ground celebration again, I was at the other end of the ground though, maybe someone closer could clarify?

15 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The effort Tony was putting in was comical at times, rolling about in puddles fighting for the ball.

Him tracking back in injury time to win the ball and drag us back up the park was beautiful. Still find it mental that we had a load of Hearts/St Johnstone fans moan about him when he's turned into our best player by some distance. 

The United keeper throwing the ball out to our guys helped some of the early play.

For Maguire’s second challenge I just see a bow wave of water, no idea what the intent or the contact was, was the ball even in there?

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

The United keeper throwing the ball out to our guys helped some of the early play.

For Maguire’s second challenge I just see a bow wave of water, no idea what the intent or the contact was, was the ball even in there?

I reckon it's definitely a second booking after watching the highlights. At the time I was struggling to see anything through the water feature off the end of the main stand though. 

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

I thought he done his hand to the badge and pointed to the ground celebration again, I was at the other end of the ground though, maybe someone closer could clarify?

He defo did. But with all due respect to Tony I don't trust fitba players with that sorta thing.

Nae doubt he seems to love it here and he's getting the best out himself he ever has. But he has a payday in him. He's wanting that.

4 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He defo did. But with all due respect to Tony I don't trust fitba players with that sorta thing.

Nae doubt he seems to love it here and he's getting the best out himself he ever has. But he has a payday in him. He's wanting that.

Is that why we have Connor Shields?  He will be fully bedded in by the time Tony seeks his fortune elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm still scarred from the John Spencer "Please sign me!" T-shirt and Scott McDonald's celtic badge kissing exploits to take these sort of things at face value (and no harm to Watt in that).

If he plays well enough this season to get a decent pay-day at the end of it, fair fucks to him as he will have put in a brilliant 2 year shift by that point and would have earned it as he's changed his reputation completely.