Super Saints v Ross County 01/12

How can we completely dominate a game like that and not score, it’s very concerning that we have absolutely no goal threat from any of our strikers. 

I remember folk saying that Mullen and Obika weren’t good enough for this level. Now we have Curtis Main and Brophy, who both look as though they aren’t good enough for this level either. 

Goodwin has a big job on his hands now if he is to turn around this issue of a team with zero goal threat.

We're deservedly in the relegation battle. Nothing up top at all. Main is rotten and when we get near the box we hit shots that are so soft a 5 year old could hit it harder. 

Probably deserved to win that on balance of play but the fact it's 0-0 shows what we struggle to do. 

Not sure Jim's 3-5-2 formation works but he's wedded to it. Badly miss wingers and players like Durmas who hasn't been replaced. McAllister is on the right but has no right foot.  

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We really are. Three wins from 16 is dogshit. The draws are papering over the cracks. 

All the teams below us have a game in hand as well, you'd imagine some of them will pick points up there. 

Taking 2 points from 3 home games against Dundee, Livingston and County does not bode well. 

It feels like we’ve just decided to keep doing the same thing over and over again in the hope it’ll eventually work - our set-pieces are dire, and with no height in the team tonight we still persisted with the floaty cross. We get the ball to the wing-backs a lot, but I’ve forgotten the last time it led to a good chance. And we love the long aimless punt to the striker.

Defensively, the first half tonight was a horror show - a more clinical side would’ve punished us, but thankfully County’s nice passing created very little. Probably wasn’t a surprise though, given the square-peg-in-round-hole nature of the back 5.

Bottom line though is we had 27 attempts tonight, 9 on target, but you wouldn’t say that Maynard-Brewer was in inspired form. It’s just powderpuff, and we could be playing now and not hit the back of the net.

Not sure Jim's 3-5-2 formation works but he's wedded to it. Badly miss wingers and players like Durmas who hasn't been replaced. McAllister is on the right but has no right foot.  

So frustrating watching McAllister for the bulk of tonight - the dependency on his left foot took all our width away, and when he was presented with a cracking chance to get a shot away in the second half, he took an absolute age to hit it (again, it was kind-of on his right foot). Can only assume Millar wasn’t fit enough to start, as although I’m not sure whether he’s good enough, he’d at least offer balance in the team.

Positives first. Our makeshift defence played pretty well. Dunne had a solid game, thought he was poor on Saturday but made up that tonight. Alnwick make a cracking double save. McAllister looks much fitter but was too predictable. Should have buried his chance but took way too long to shoot.

I suppose I would be more concerned if we weren't creating chances but it's the same old same old from last season.

As for the negatives, pretty much everything that has been mentioned.

Nice easy run coming up. I actually feel more comfortable playing against the bigger teams. Aberdeen and Hibs are very hit and miss. We could be bottom by Boxing day though.

He needs to get Erhahon back in the team, there is no balance without him. He's far and away our best midfeilder. Get him on, and either play Brophy up front on his own, or drop one of Ronan/McGrath. Playing two up front with two attacking MIDs and the wingbacks pushed miles up the pitch hasn't worked at any point this season. It actually makes us less attacking as there is no out ball for the three at the back so everything ends up having to be hoofed, and it leaves us woefully exposed to the counter attack.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

All the teams below us have a game in hand as well, you'd imagine some of them will pick points up there. 

Taking 2 points from 3 home games against Dundee, Livingston and County does not bode well. 

Yeah I wouldn't worry, you'll be fine.

After we lose to County on Saturday we have Aberdeen, Rangers, Motherwell, Celtic then Hearts.

We cant score goals. We're already missing Wotherspoon and May, and Rooney seems to have been carrying a knock for weeks so will probably break down this month. I'd be surprised if we pick up more than 2 points this month.

If you don't want McGrath we can take him, and you can take MacPherson back. His performance tonight has all our fans talking about his quality.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you don't want McGrath we can take him, and you can take MacPherson back. His performance tonight has all our fans talking about his quality.

I doubt we'll see him in a Saints shirt again, it's a season long loan to you Saintees and he's OOC at the end of this season.

Will probably end up at Hibs...or Morton.

5 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I doubt we'll see him in a Saints shirt again, it's a season long loan to you Saintees and he's OOC at the end of this season.

Will probably end up at Hibs...or Morton.

He'll probably end up at Morton next season in a St Johnstone shirt...

7 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Not sure if Goodwin has really pushed St Mirren on in 2 1/2 years tbh.

3 wins from 16 this season and only scoring a goal a game is brutal. Could be in deep shit by start of 2022 unless they pick up a couple of surprise results.

10 of those came in 4 games... v Dundee, Aberdeen, RC and Motherwell.

6 in the other 12.

The bug eyed weirdo on Sportscene gave a stat that we've had well over 100 attempts at goal since our last win and in that time we've scored 4 times.