Scottish Cup 4th Round 21/22 - who're you wanting?

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

What they've done in stopping replays from Last 32 isn't much different to England where replays stop from Last 16. You're also only considering the financial aspect (although I doubt many clubs lose money on replays - especially not in Preliminary/R1/R2).

There is a competitive dimension too: if you can't win away you can at least avoid defeat and bring it back to your own place. There is also a physical dimension: if you don't have replays you have extra-time plus penalties instead, and that extra 30min hands a big advantage to full-time clubs.

That's an excellent point which I have never considered.

There is also the matter of tradition - plenty people think it's part of what 'makes' the Scottish Cup - and it being the primary cup in the nation everybody wants to do well in it... a lot of clubs, especially smaller clubs, will feel on balance they have a better chance in trying again another day rather than extra-time and penalties.

However there is also a  practical issue.

Dozens of clubs have collectively spent several million £ installing or upgrading lights under the licence system needed to play in the cup every season. More do so each year. They were told they needed them for TV ties (which most will never host and certainly never regularly) and midweek replays (which are at least more common). Even by SFA standards it would be a slap in the face of epic proportions to turn around a year later and abolish those very same replays.

I wouldn't have scrapped them in any round - but clearly issues about OF in CL/EL knockouts etc. only affect R4/R5/R6.

EDIT: Worth adding there are also a couple of oddities in what they've done. First: replays have gone from R4 even though it's long before CL/EL resume... indeed the midweek is still there this season entirely blank. Second: replays upto R3 don't have to be midweek unless both clubs prefer it... e.g. Montrose v Kelty is this Saturday.

You need floodlights for 3 pm kickoffs at this time of year.

However, you've convinced me that replays should be implemented up to the quarter-finals, at least.

Edited by AlbionSaint

Don’t want the OF, don’t want a home tie and don’t want to play someone I’ve seen us play before.

Away from home at either Stirling, Annan, Airdrie, Edinburgh City or East Kilbride please.

Mon the dra’

Edit: scratch that, don’t want East Kilbride as they’ll no doubt move it to a ground I’ve been to before. Can’t believe I forgot Dumbarton. Dumbarton away please #stjohnsons

I would like a tie v a team we don’t normally play or have played in a while. 

So basically no Top flight teams or Kilmarnock. 

But I am pretty sure that will happen whilst the ugly sisters get Banks o Dee and Clydebank at home. Hibs and Dundee United generally get easy draws also. 

We shall see shortly…