Scottish Cup 4th Round 21/22 - who're you wanting?

54 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Which ten teams (at least) is it we’re referring to that are in tiers 5 or 6 who “borderline as competitive, or more competitive” than the League Two sides?

I’m assuming that Auchinleck, Clydebank, East Kilbride and Banks O’Dee are in there, as the sides definitely in the fourth round, but who else? 

Pollok most definitely, and Kilwinning wouldn't be far off it.  From the LL, Bonnyrigg (fairly obviously), and Spartans are stronger than East Kilbride.

Even in a settled pyramid system, the idea that a number of clubs could compete at a higher level is hardly novel is it?

2 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The point made above was that the poorly implemented pyramid system has resulted in overly strong teams being beneath much weaker ones.  

It's not really a question of "poorly implemented" and more "the stronger teams spent a decade refusing to join the pyramid because they were scared of floodlights and toilets".

If they didn't want to be stuck in a bottleneck they coulda came over at any point like Kelty did. 

3 minutes ago, candycelt said:

I will go to the Candy game on the Saturday too of course! Weather and changing of schedules etc permitted we’ve got EK Thistle that weekend, might go to one of the cup games on the Friday or Sunday though. Hopefully the Bankies, Talbot and Darvel keep doing the WOSFL proud

Do u know how many games get televised in this round? 

Mon the papers

1 minute ago, passbackdave said:

Do u know how many games get televised in this round? 

Mon the papers

Its usually 4, 2 BBC 2 Premier. Guessing it’ll be Alloa v Celtic and Rangers v Stirling on Premier and then Talbot v Hearts and Kilmarnock v United on BBC. 

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It's not really a question of "poorly implemented" and more "the stronger teams spent a decade refusing to join the pyramid because they were scared of floodlights and toilets".

If they didn't want to be stuck in a bottleneck they coulda came over at any point like Kelty did. 

You're mistaking me for someone who has a dog in this fight.  I don't.  Whether or not they deserve to, took too long, or brought the complications upon themselves is a worthy discussion, but not one I was inviting.

On the current trajectory, in the next 5-10 years there will be pressure on the league structure to change, and it will only be self-protection and politics that prevents it.

Either way, this is a subjective discussion, though it's apparent to everyone that there's a lot of settling to go.  I just put it that the gap between 4 and 5 is particularly small, and if anyone wants to debate the size they are welcome to it.

17 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

You're mistaking me for someone who has a dog in this fight.  I don't.  Whether or not they deserve to, took too long, or brought the complications upon themselves is a worthy discussion, but not one I was inviting.

On the current trajectory, in the next 5-10 years there will be pressure on the league structure to change, and it will only be self-protection and politics that prevents it.

Either way, this is a subjective discussion, though it's apparent to everyone that there's a lot of settling to go.  I just put it that the gap between 4 and 5 is particularly small, and if anyone wants to debate the size they are welcome to it.

That all may be true but it wasn't "poorly implemented". With the SPFL wanting one thing, HL wanting another, EoS and SoS losing all their best teams and the SRJFA refusing to acknowledge the changes... what was done was what was needed. 

Even with the big migration of teams from the East there was no huge rush to increase promotion/relegation because very few were licensed. By the time they were COVID19 hit and leagues were cancelled. The big teams in the WoSFL haven't even finished a season yet to even be eligible for promotion. Now, this year, for the first time ever, we have a full pyramid in the league and no junior/senior split at all. 

All these changes will come but I'm genuinely struggling to see when there's been a point for it to happen before now. 

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

27 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Pollok most definitely, and Kilwinning wouldn't be far off it.  From the LL, Bonnyrigg (fairly obviously), and Spartans are stronger than East Kilbride.

Even in a settled pyramid system, the idea that a number of clubs could compete at a higher level is hardly novel is it?

Are Pollok and Kilwinning licensed yet?

I don’t disagree that there are a number of clubs that could compete at a higher level, and I want to see more ventilation between the SPFL and non-league tiers (and within the non-league tiers themselves). I accept that I say this as a fan who’s club are unlikely to be in any bother of leaving the SPFL at any point in the near future, so not really affected, but still. 

Where I would disagree, however, is the amount of tier 5/6 clubs who are better than the current tier 4 sides. I wouldn’t say there’s more than a couple. And which tier 4 sides do we mean, by the way? I would be very confident of Kelty being better than every single side in the levels below them. All of the top four in that league probably are. I also think that the vast, vast majority of the movement of clubs finding their level is outwith the SPFL, not into it. 

Think this game would attract around 10k if it was played maybe at the likes of Rugby Park
Why would it be played at Rugby Park?
Talbot are licensed and have floodlights.
You can't just move the game the only reason it would be moved would be on police say so

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think Kilwinning are and Pollok are in the process of it. 

ETA: according to this list Kilwinning aren't scottish-fa-club-licensing-awards-may-2021.pdf (scottishfa.co.uk)

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I think Kilwinning are and Pollok are in the process of it. 

ETA: according to this list Kilwinning aren't scottish-fa-club-licensing-awards-may-2021.pdf (scottishfa.co.uk)

That's a useful document - but doesn't look to be up to date with respect to licensing in WoS? 

I'd understood that anyone with a licence plays in the Scottish Cup, which obviously includes Talbot, Clydebank, Darvel, Cumnock, and Irvine Meadow as well as Girvan and Glasgow University?

Or, is there a secondary consideration there?

There were also 24 EoS teams in the Preliminary Rounds so I'm guessing it's just slightly out of date.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

6 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

That's a useful document - but doesn't look to be up to date with respect to licensing in WoS? 

I'd understood that anyone with a licence plays in the Scottish Cup, which obviously includes Talbot, Clydebank, Darvel, Cumnock, and Irvine Meadow as well as Girvan and Glasgow University?

There were also 24 EoS teams in the Preliminary Rounds so I'm guessing it's just slightly out of date.

Yeah I was sure there were a couple more in the WoS. @Burnieman is usually pretty knowledgeable about who's licensed and who isn't

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I don’t disagree that there are a number of clubs that could compete at a higher level, and I want to see more ventilation between the SPFL and non-league tiers (and within the non-league tiers themselves). I accept that I say this as a fan who’s club are unlikely to be in any bother of leaving the SPFL at any point in the near future, so not really affected, but still. 

Where I would disagree, however, is the amount of tier 5/6 clubs who are better than the current tier 4 sides. I wouldn’t say there’s more than a couple. And which tier 4 sides do we mean, by the way? I would be very confident of Kelty being better than every single side in the levels below them. All of the top four in that league probably are. I also think that the vast, vast majority of the movement of clubs finding their level is outwith the SPFL, not into it. 

Yes, I certainly wouldn't disagree there.  The LL could probably lose 8 teams, and easily gain replacements from East and West (it's not likely that the South have anything to offer).  The West alone has a huge shakeup to complete, but that much was inevitable with the structure change and the addition of new clubs into its conferences (as well as the significant changes in personnel/management/investment that occurred every season in the Juniors anyway).

I see the limited relegation from the LL as more problematic (at least in the short term) than there only being one playoff from L2.  Ultimately, there's a balance to be had with relegation jeopardy, promotion opportunity, and the sustaining of a quality competitive product.  

I foresee it only getting better over the next few years, including an improved Scottish Cup, which I'd argue is all the better for the increased number of teams.  A few years down the line, we could have the equivalent of a few Kelty Hearts 'stuck' as it were with Cowdenbeath or Albion Rovers surviving by virtue of the league structure, rather than ability.

Perhaps a 14-team league, with a split after 26 games would become the 'optimal' solution in the medium term, albeit sharing competition funds to a further four teams is unlikely to be palatable to all clubs.  It might however ensure the likes of Cowdenbeath can survive, whilst providing an opportunity for return to clubs like East Stirling/Berwick/Brechin then it might just work.

7 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

it's out of date it's been updated a since. You can find the latest version through this portal.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-fa/football-governance/club-licensing/

Most recent version is from August. Where you can see they've started to split things up a bit more due to the growth.

image.thumb.png.8e71a919d08f370c7029f859dcf492d1.png

1 minute ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I foresee it only getting better over the next few years, including an improved Scottish Cup, which I'd argue is all the better for the increased number of teams.

I wont be happy until we have an Estonian style "all-in" cup from the first round. Fort William v Celtic? Campbeltown Pupils v Aberdeen? Dae it. Just fucking dae it.

10 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Five Motherwell v Morton cup ties at Fir Park since 2007. Four Motherwell wins in 90 minutes and another on penalties. Aggregate score: 17-1.

I saw this and started thinking “When the f**k did we score a goal at Fir Park? I don’t recall seeing that!”.

Then I remembered it was last season when there was no crowd. :lol: