Will Smith bankrupt

6 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

And massively increased profile for the event and the two people involved.

Conversely, there is no real downside for either. Chris rock has had plenty of edgier jokes, Will Smith looks like he's standing up for his wife and, if he is violent, he's really not very good at it.

Reward >>>> risk for those involved.

I don’t think will smith needs more profile. He’s spent years building an image of being cool, calm and charming. 

I very much doubt that, on the night he’s picking up an Oscar for best actor, he’d engage in a cheap stunt for profile he really doesn’t need. 

Smith's acceptance speech for winning Best Actor was in essence just a long, grovelling apology.

Given this is almost certainly the only Oscar he will ever win, it seems unlikely that he would agree to effectively ruin that moment in the service of a bit.

Its like when they announced the wrong Best Picture winner a couple of years ago. Folk jumped to the idea that its fake straight off the bat, but it doesn't actually serve anyone involved to fake it other than the vague notion that all publicity is good publicity.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Should have paid more attention when he was training to play Ali. Either that was completely staged, or Will Smith has the worst right hand in history.

I thought it looked staged.