Queens v Morton

Greenacres

That was simply horrendous. Queens totally deserved the win I may add.

We were one dimensional , with slow build up play and lacking any sort of creativity. 

Gus takes the blame at the end of the day and deservedly so, but the players also let the club down tonight.

What the f**k has happened to Jacobs this season?  Hamilton was still our best player own goal aside.

There is no excuse in the world you could give for a performance like that. An utter disgrace!

Well, that was the most entertaining Queens experience for months. It would be lovely to think that it could be enough to kick start our reason. Please AJ, try to maintain a bit of the creativity and positive play for the league games.

20 minutes ago, Riviera711 said:

Well, that was the most entertaining Queens experience for months. It would be lovely to think that it could be enough to kick start our reason. Please AJ, try to maintain a bit of the creativity and positive play for the league games.

I thought that during the Raith game a few weeks ago. Enough chances to win three games, but end up drawing. 

Pleased with the win tonight though. Hopefully the players will get a lift from it and take it into the next game.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

My mate messaged to say the linesman had dropped his flag around about the time of the chance. It would certainly explain how he failed to see it.

It looked to me like he had turned to run back to the half-way line to signal it was a goal, dropped his flag and when he picked it up again either changed his mind or saw the ref hadn't given it and gave a corner. Couldn't honestly say from where I was standing if it was in or not. 

7 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

I thought that during the Raith game a few weeks ago. Enough chances to win three games, but end up drawing. 

Pleased with the win tonight though. Hopefully the players will get a lift from it and take it into the next game.

Yes, agreed about the Raith game. It was the first game back in the reopened main stand and it felt like things were turning around.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, a lot of good performances and hopefully the team isn't changed too much for Saturday.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

So how bad was Flap's own goal?

If he had stood still and not done anything it likely wouldn’t have gone in, he punched it behind himself in to the net. 

Edited by Broony88

33 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

It looked to me like he had turned to run back to the half-way line to signal it was a goal, dropped his flag and when he picked it up again either changed his mind or saw the ref hadn't given it and gave a corner. Couldn't honestly say from where I was standing if it was in or not. 

I think that's pretty much exactly what he did. He appeared to be giving the goal, dropped his flag and then by the time he's picked it up again the ref's already given a corner. I was 80 yards away on a bad angle and was sure it was in! TV replays are pretty conclusive. It's a bad error which fortunately didn't cost us.

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think that's pretty much exactly what he did. He appeared to be giving the goal, dropped his flag and then by the time he's picked it up again the ref's already given a corner. I was 80 yards away on a bad angle and was sure it was in! TV replays are pretty conclusive. It's a bad error which fortunately didn't cost us.

If that is what happened then it's piss poor. Wouldn't surprise me though.

18 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Jack Hamilton trying to maintain a level score after a late equaliser against Queen of the South... not his strong suit.

image.png.9fc75ee3d8a0eadbec4bb9c0ff6ac437.png

True. 

To be fair to Hamilton it was largely down to a horrific mistake by one of his central defenders. 

Cool finish by Dobbie.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

It has taken the manager a very long time indeed to adopt a 4-4-2 formation which should really be our “go to “ set up. We have seen every other conceivable variation usually ending up with an isolated striker and little pressure on the ball. 

Last night with two up and and an attack minded midfield we:-

- completely dominated

- won the ball back quickly when out of possession 

- created chance after chance

- passed the ball really well and our play was slick and incisive 

The downside was it was only the Diddy Cup and Morton were extremely poor. Saturday will be a huge test but that set up and performance gives us some hope.

Quite how we allowed ourselves to be back to 1-1 with a few minutes to go is frankly unbelievable but our finishing was very slack and wasteful. Overall though hugely encouraging.

Yes, a vast improvement on most of our performances this season, maybe being restricted to a smaller squad because of injury/suspensions meant Johnston had less chance to tinker, and the players were allowed to express themselves. Even against a poor Morton side though I felt we were still fragile at the back. On two or three occasions in the first half Morton players were allowed to waltz past several defenders without much trouble, indeed the lead up to their disallowed "goal" could have been costly if the Morton player hadn't made sure the ball was gong in, it may have still  been going in if he'd left it. If poor Morton players can do it then we need to be tighter against better teams. 

1-0 with ten minutes to go McPherson has the novel idea of putting a big lad, who's good in the air upfront, and swinging a cross into him to see if he can score against a central defence made up of midfielders and hope and we instantly equalise despite that player being a centre back.

However, for the first 80 minutes, despite having a big lad, who's good in the air on upfront, who is actually a striker, he decided the best way to attack a central defence made up of wishes and moonbeans was to aimlessly punt the ball into the corners for him where the full backs and midfielders can double up on him. Instead of trying to whip crosses in to test Queens defence he had two central midfielders on the wing.

It's incredible how fucking stupid he is. "Oh this worked against Caley Thistle on Saturday so I'll do it again despite the obvious differences in the set up of the team I'm facing now"

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

35 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Yes, a vast improvement on most of our performances this season, maybe being restricted to a smaller squad because of injury/suspensions meant Johnston had less chance to tinker, and the players were allowed to express themselves. Even against a poor Morton side though I felt we were still fragile at the back. On two or three occasions in the first half Morton players were allowed to waltz past several defenders without much trouble, indeed the lead up to their disallowed "goal" could have been costly if the Morton player hadn't made sure the ball was gong in, it may have still  been going in if he'd left it. If poor Morton players can do it then we need to be tighter against better teams. 

Yes despite almost total domination we did look vulnerable at times but at least with players forward and a higher press we could camp ourselves in their half for long periods and keep the ball away from our goal. Only we could somehow end up at 1-1 with minutes remaining. We could do with one of the CBs returning on Sat to allow WG to move out to RB but this doesn’t look likely. Partick will likely be a completely different proposition but hopefully we adopt a similar approach.

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Yes despite almost total domination we did look vulnerable at times but at least with players forward and a higher press we could camp ourselves in their half for long periods and keep the ball away from our goal. Only we could somehow end up at 1-1 with minutes remaining. We could do with one of the CBs returning on Sat to allow WG to move out to RB but this doesn’t look likely. Partick will likely be a completely different proposition but hopefully we adopt a similar approach.

I think Nditi is available on Saturday and is suspended for the Cove replay.