Hallmark and similar Christmas movies

Abdul_Latif

14 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You have a google don't you Dave

All Christmas Hallmark Movies - IMDb

Genuinely didn't occur to me that there would be a list of the things anywhere! Fucking hell, 174 of them; clearly a popular genre that I was unaware of.

I caught a little bit of Single Santa Seeks Mrs Claus on the TV many years ago - it was shit, and Steve Guttenberg's youthful charm seemed to have deserted him entirely. Quite depressing TBH.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Genuinely didn't occur to me that there would be a list of the things anywhere! Fucking hell, 174 of them; clearly a popular genre that I was unaware of.

I caught a little bit of Single Santa Seeks Mrs Claus on the TV many years ago - it was shit, and Steve Guttenberg's youthful charm seemed to have deserted him entirely. Quite depressing TBH.

It appears to be quite an industry, my daughter is the only person I know, who loves these things, absolutely loves them, even if they are pretty much all the same, with all the same actors in them, according to her

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Didn't occur to you that there would be a list of them? Hmmmm.

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

Alright, I'll ask - how many Christmas movies have the Hallmark Channel even made? I can't think of one.

Maybe share some of your own favourites?

They are all much of a muchness tbh, and it’s genuinely hard to remember one against another by the next year, but so far this year; Christmas Made to Order and Good Morning Christmas have been decent, Christmas Jars and Santa Girl not so much.

4 hours ago, ecto said:

It appears to be quite an industry, my daughter is the only person I know, who loves these things, absolutely loves them, even if they are pretty much all the same, with all the same actors in them, according to her

They are certainly not going to make anyone at the big awards committees stand up and take notice, but I do enjoy the feel good seasonal simplicity of them nonetheless.

So far this weekend, I've had to sit through 8 Bit Christmas (actually decent, cast included Steve Zahn & Neil Patrick Harris), some Christmas miracle thing set in Norn Irn plus another effort about a girl who hasn't yet come out to her conservative parents.

The other half is a big fan, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Wow, this is apparently quite a thing: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-59560618

Wonder why there's been such an explosion in this genre in recent times? A different type of escapism to the usual kind?

The one thing that's really changed in the last 5 years is streaming services. Cheap to produce, can cram up their feeds in the same way they would with horrors at Halloween.

I would also say the growth of the international TV market as well. Although that's largely based on what we see here in the UK. Once you started to get Christmas24 and the like there's more money to be made from the traditional USTV production line.

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Isn’t there one with Nic Cage waking up with a family he never had(in a timely-wimey way not like a stalker) and trying to figure out what he wants?

Family Man. Hadn't thought of that in years and didn't remember it being set at Christmas. Not helped by the fact I conflated it with the Weather Man.