The Beatles: Get Back

Fratelli

Just finished the third episode tonight. I'm 30 so never really paid that much attention to the Beatles. I actually preferred to listen to George Harrison's solo stuff.
But this turned out to be one of the best things I've ever watched and I'll probably end up having a listen to a lot more of them now.

I also had certain impressions of the four of them individually but all that changed after watching this. They're totally different to how I imagined.

Now I'm telling all my friends who aren't fans either to get it watched.

On 01/12/2021 at 11:26, meanmistermustard said:

There will be a home release sometime in 2022, Peter Jackson has said there will be six hours of additional footage included but he said the Disney+ documentary was six hours when it is 7 hours 49 minutes so who knows. Apple and Disney thought they were getting a couple of hours but during Covid Jackson and his team made it far longer without telling anyone, showed it to them without warning and they agreed to release it in it’s longer format. Jackson also got Disney to agree to include swearing and heavy smoking in the documentary.

The original ‘LIB’ film should also be out in 2022, it’s been remastered and Giles Martin has been working on the soundtrack.

It’s thought Apple and Disney want the new extended edit to be available for a while before any home release to encourage people to sign up to Disney+ and to avoid endless comparisons and competition between streaming and folk opting to buy it on blu-ray/DVD.

yeah theres a list of all the songs they 'covered' during the sessions online. By covered it means even if they did a few bars as a p*ss about.  But looking through it theres hunners of tunes..i'll try find the link but obviously suggests theres so much more available. 

There are hundreds of aimless boring jams, brief knock-offs, piss takes and excellent full performances of either originals or covers. What you'd expect from a band pissing about whilst trying to get an album together from next to nothing.
Their performance of 'House Of The Rising Sun' has to be heard to be believed, one hell of a piss take.

On 01/12/2021 at 09:40, pozbaird said:

I haven’t Googled this question yet, just wondered if anyone on here knows. I am aware Disney+ has the rights to this, in the same way Netflix had the Springsteen on Broadway filmed show. Are there any plans for ‘Get Back’ to eventually have a commercial release on BluRay & DVD? As far as I know, Springsteen on Broadway still hasn’t had a BluRay & DVD release. The music CD came out, but no film of the event yet. Thanks in advance P&B. 👍

Wouldn't bother with Springsteen on Broadway, bored me to death. If you're a super-fan of him then perhaps you'll be able to stick it out, but I got bored very quickly. 

Watched the first episode of Get Back last night and agree with others that it's great to see them like regular guys jamming away and coming up with the melodies we all know. As someone who plays in a band it's amazing to see them writing songs in much the same way we always have, comforting to know there's not some creative secret that only the ones who make it find out, and it really is just trying stuff out and seeing how it sounds. Laughing at them humming and hawing words over Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. Looking forward to the rest.

Finished this tonight and thought it was brilliant. 

The way they could click from messing around to the professional super group was amazing.

As others have said watching them birth what are still some of the most easily recognised songs on the planet from a standing start is like being allowed to watch history being made. 

It's difficult to imagine their recording history as a group only lasting 6-7 years considering the legacy and memorable songs. 

ETA: What a cool guy Billy Preston was , added another dimension and allowed the others to concentrate non their main role. 

Edited by saint dave

Something that probably deserves a mention with this has been the restoration that Peter Jackson and the WingNut crew .

It got a mention in one of the episodes about the pivot from a TV special to film and the quality of the film stock. If I remember that right. And 50+ years later it's not like it was getting better with age.

Here's the trailer for 'Let It Be' to get a sense of what was released at the time.

And a screengrab from when Peter Sellars made an appearance.

It wasn't just the picture quality that was touched up. They also did work on the audio.

The band had some tricks up their sleeves and would turn up their amps to drown out what they were saying. Wingnut created a computer program that removed the guitars/drums from the audio track. Leaving just the private conversations to be heard for the first time.

I've watched it twice now, it's absolutely fantastic, I remember when Anthology came out I video taped it and watched it obsessively but this is even better.

I love the scene where Paul gives birth to Get Back, first off he's just jamming, almost in a trance, George yawns and makes a high pitch oooo sound - and the oooo is in tune, amazing, when Paul slightly changes the tune he's singing it alters the tune he's playing and all the pieces fall into place, I could watch him play bass all day - he plays it like a lead instrument, his voice is incredible when he really goes for it it gives me goosebumps.

Loved their reaction when Billy Preston starts playing.

Ringo is just the coolest guy ever, I imagine the I'll health he suffered as a child helped form his sunny disposition.

I didn't like seeing George getting upset, it couldn't have been easy being in the shadow of Lennon and McCartney I can understand his frustration he was really starting to come into his own as a songwriter but if Paul hadn't taken it upon himself to be the driving force the whole thing would've probably fallen apart.

I'd totally forgot just how good John was as a guitarist.

Big shout out to the most glaikit policemen ever.

On 29/11/2021 at 09:14, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I always thought Ringo seemed a bit of an uptight b*****d but I thoroughly enjoyed how chilled he was, a right sound c**t. What a guy Billy Preston is as well, him casually reading the paper whilst jamming along to Harrison’s Something sums up how good that guy was on those keys.

There's an interview with Ringo and a journo called David Wigg from '69 - Ringo is still very down to earth and sound as f**k as that point - I reckon it was moving to the US that changed him. 

I still haven't seen all of this yet, but my favourite bit is where Ringo 'makes a wee announcement'. :)

My favourite bit I think (not including the “Get Back birth” obv) was when the director dork is trying to speak to Ringo but he’s just completely transfixed by Paul playing the piano. One of the most famous men on the planet, a musical legend in his own right while still only in his 20s, and yet in absolute awe at his mates brilliance. “I’d watch an hour of him just playing piano…cause he’s so great”. So could I, Ringo pal, so could I.

I haven’t Googled this question yet, just wondered if anyone on here knows. I am aware Disney+ has the rights to this, in the same way Netflix had the Springsteen on Broadway filmed show. Are there any plans for ‘Get Back’ to eventually have a commercial release on BluRay & DVD? As far as I know, Springsteen on Broadway still hasn’t had a BluRay & DVD release. The music CD came out, but no film of the event yet. Thanks in advance P&B. [emoji106]

There’s bootlegs of it out already

Fantastic documentary, amazing to see it all come together, some of their random jamming sessions were great fun to watch, lots of tea and toast.

George Harrison had some outstanding clothes, and Mal suggesting some lyric changes and getting involved made it look like there was a lot of good friendships in that room.

6 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Fantastic documentary, amazing to see it all come together, some of their random jamming sessions were great fun to watch, lots of tea and toast.

George Harrison had some outstanding clothes, and Mal suggesting some lyric changes and getting involved made it look like there was a lot of good friendships in that room.

Mal Evans is brilliant! What a guy.

I wasn't too keen on George's boots though but he gets a pass as the rest of his wardrobe is fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...