The Beatles: Get Back

Fratelli

Couldn't find a thread on this, but the first two parts of Peter Jackson's mammoth Beatles documentary came out this week. It comprises mainly of unseen, essentially fly on the wall footage from the Let it Be sessions and the run up to the rooftop gig. Folk who aren't fans of the Beatles will probably find it quite dull at times, but for an obsessive fan like myself it's genuinely incredible stuff. You see them coming up with ideas in real time and watch them turn into some of the most iconic tunes ever, as well as seeing first hand footage of the arguments and squabbles that have been written and talked about for decades. 

It also humanises them in a way which hasn't been done before, with hours worth of normal conversations about what shite they had been watching on BBC2 the night before. It really makes you realise that these mythological sessions were in actual fact four lads arsing about and winging it half the time. I've only watched the first episode so far (around 2hrs30 each) and It's probably the greatest insight into the Beatles there's ever been, and something that anyone who considers themselves a fan will find fascinating. 

Trailer here

Edited by Fratelli

Would loved to have seen this. Wish it was released in the movies - how many customers does Disney+ have?

There is some good stuff on YouTube of the Stones during that time as well - Sympathy For The Devil being written

Edited by razamanaz

5 hours ago, superwellfan said:

Watched the 1st episode in chunks throughout today; before and after Motherwell getting pumped.

Love it.

Was mesmerised listening to McCartney humming gibberish and playing a vaguely familiar tune, then a minute later Get Back was birthed into existence.

Also heard Lennon singing a song called natures child, it was the same tune as Jealous Guy

Finished this off last night. Absolutely loved it, just fascinating to watch them at work. I love the Beatles, especially McCartney and Harrison, but I think this highlighted just how much of a lead McCartney took at this particular stage in time when it came to the arrangements. I think Harrison in particular may have found him overly controlling but it was hard to disagree with anything he was trying to do. Watching McCartney give birth to Get Back has to be one of the most incredible things I’ve ever seen. It was almost weird seeing them as 4 normal guys jamming, bickering and having a laugh.

I always thought Ringo seemed a bit of an uptight b*****d but I thoroughly enjoyed how chilled he was, a right sound c**t. What a guy Billy Preston is as well, him casually reading the paper whilst jamming along to Harrison’s Something sums up how good that guy was on those keys.

10/10 - will 100% watch again over the festive period, and this time I’ll make sure I have a few beers and some toast for the occassion. I’ll probably just fast forward the parts where Yoko is squeeling like a banshee.

I've only watched the first episode so far, but it's excellent.

You can see why George got fucked off, given how strong Paul and John were as personalities, and with Ringo just being laid back as f**k.

The footage of Yoko has done nothing to change my opinion that she was a fucking bellend

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I've only watched the first episode so far, but it's excellent.

You can see why George got fucked off, given how strong Paul and John were as personalities, and with Ringo just being laid back as f**k.

The footage of Yoko has done nothing to change my opinion that she was a fucking bellend

John seemingly contributed nothing creatively during episode one. He was strung out on something.  Episode two is a bit more like it.   Paul definitely was the driving force by that point.   Watching him come up with Get Back from nothing was nothing short of an honour.

Edited by Savage Henry

I’ve been a massive Beatles fan for decades and this it it for me. The four going thru all their shit at Twickenham to get it together at Apple and then play the Rooftop concert (which is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen), annoying the f**k out of the stuffy bankers and businessmen whilst delighting so many others of all generations. So many highlights and will need to be rewatched a few times to take it all in.

20 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

John seemingly contributed nothing creatively during episode one. He was strung out on something.  Episode two is a bit more like it.   Paul definitely was the driving force by that point.   Watching him come up with Get Back from nothing was nothing short of an honour.

Think Lennon had recently discovered heroin around that time if the stories are to be believed. He head is definitely somewhere else for a large chunk of the first episode right enough, although by the time Billy Preston turns up in the second episode he's much more like the John Lennon we imagine him to be. 

Edited by Fratelli

On 30/11/2021 at 16:20, meanmistermustard said:

I’ve been a massive Beatles fan for decades and this it it for me. The four going thru all their shit at Twickenham to get it together at Apple and then play the Rooftop concert (which is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen), annoying the f**k out of the stuffy bankers and businessmen whilst delighting so many others of all generations. So many highlights and will need to be rewatched a few times to take it all in.

Sums it up perfectly for me too.   Absolutely love them and now even moreso.   Also despite being a massive Beatles fan I've always got the Abbey Road album/Let it Be Sessions mixed up so good to see how it panned out.   I did have that 'Commonwealth' (yeaassss) tune in my head for days!   In fact 'Let it Be' is one album I never really dig out much but really enjoying the Glyn Johns sessions.

A wee cool footnote story for any nerds.   About 5 years ago, for a bit of fun I used to put gigs on in Leicester.  I booked a band called July who were around in the late 1960s - British psychedelic band who didn't have much success but a few underground singles.  They had reformed and through a friend I booked them for Leicester.

As you do I got chatting to them, one of them, Tom(to be fair only two original members).  I was asking Tom about the 1960s music scene and he told me this story.  In 1969 his band, July, hadn't had much success so he was fairly fed up with the music scene.  He had previously done a bit of art in his spare time so decided to see if he could make some money out of it. 

At the time The Beatles had Apple and were encouraging musicians, artists, etc to put things forward for consideration.  So Tom decided to head down to the Apple office to tout his artwork.   

After pacing up and down the street outside carrying his painting trying to work up courage to go in, this transit van pulled up.   Out jumped some blokes one of who was an old mate of Toms.   Tom asked him what he was doing there and the bloke told him about the Beatles Rooftop gig and that he was helping out with the equipment....before adding "Why don't you grab a piece of equipment and carry it up and you can see the gig with us".   Tom obliged and next thing was on the rooftop.  He placed his artwork behind Ringo's drumkit(you can see it in the footage). He then said he spent a while trying to avoid Mal Evans and Neil Asphinal in case he got thrown out,  although due to the fact he was a musician and had 'the look' he blended in.

I must admit at the time I took the story with a pinch of salt but after watching the footage I spotted him on the rooftop(wearing a maroon/purple suit) and you can see his painting behind Ringo.  Whether or not how he got there is exactly as said but its a cool story either way.  I am friends with him still on Facebook and theres been a lot of posts from his mates saying "i spotted you" so its unlikely its bullsh*t that he wasn't there.

Edited by fuzzydunlop
spelling

I haven’t Googled this question yet, just wondered if anyone on here knows. I am aware Disney+ has the rights to this, in the same way Netflix had the Springsteen on Broadway filmed show. Are there any plans for ‘Get Back’ to eventually have a commercial release on BluRay & DVD? As far as I know, Springsteen on Broadway still hasn’t had a BluRay & DVD release. The music CD came out, but no film of the event yet. Thanks in advance P&B. 👍

I haven’t Googled this question yet, just wondered if anyone on here knows. I am aware Disney+ has the rights to this, in the same way Netflix had the Springsteen on Broadway filmed show. Are there any plans for ‘Get Back’ to eventually have a commercial release on BluRay & DVD? As far as I know, Springsteen on Broadway still hasn’t had a BluRay & DVD release. The music CD came out, but no film of the event yet. Thanks in advance P&B. [emoji106]

There will be a home release sometime in 2022, Peter Jackson has said there will be six hours of additional footage included but he said the Disney+ documentary was six hours when it is 7 hours 49 minutes so who knows. Apple and Disney thought they were getting a couple of hours but during Covid Jackson and his team made it far longer without telling anyone, showed it to them without warning and they agreed to release it in it’s longer format. Jackson also got Disney to agree to include swearing and heavy smoking in the documentary.

The original ‘LIB’ film should also be out in 2022, it’s been remastered and Giles Martin has been working on the soundtrack.

It’s thought Apple and Disney want the new extended edit to be available for a while before any home release to encourage people to sign up to Disney+ and to avoid endless comparisons and competition between streaming and folk opting to buy it on blu-ray/DVD.

2 minutes ago, meanmistermustard said:

There will be a home release sometime in 2022, Peter Jackson has said there will be six hours of additional footage included but he said the Disney+ documentary was six hours when it is 7 hours 49 minutes so who knows. Apple and Disney thought they were getting a couple of hours but during Covid Jackson and his team made it far longer without telling anyone, showed it to them without warning and they agreed to release it in it’s longer format. Jackson also got Disney to agree to swearing and heavy smoking in the documentary.

The original ‘LIB’ film should also be out in 2022, it’s been remastered and Giles Martin had been working on the soundtrack.

It’s thought Apple and Disney want the new extended edit to be available for a while before any home release to encourage people to sign up to Disney+ and to avoid endless comparisons and competition between streaming and folk opting to buy it on blu-ray/DVD.

Good news if a physical release is eventually happening. I imagine then it’ll be a big expensive box set affair. Will be worth it though. Unless totally crazy money of course. I was fervently hoping Springsteen on Broadway would receive a ‘box set’ physical release of the film, because I actually got to see it in New York, and it was, without doubt, the most amazing concert experience I’ve ever seen.