Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

14 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I'd expect it to be Christie - Adam - McGinn.

Unless, Ukraine are suspect to a more physical approach?  I'd imagine Christie suits this game, and it was working well in Dykes' absence.

I can almost categorically state Charlie Adam won’t be starting 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

McTominay can absolutely do that when he is coming from deep, and has done numerous times driving forward from RCB. 

We all see things differently, but I absolutely would not want McTominay involved in that. I don't think it suits his profile. It also doesn't really bear out in the numbers.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

We all see things differently, but I absolutely would not want McTominay involved in that. I don't think it suits his profile. It also doesn't really bear out in the numbers.

Would there really be sufficient data of him playing there with a competent midfield for that to be shown in the numbers? 

He certainly did it against Israel, driving forward and breaking lines as well as linking up and playing one twos with those in front of him. 

Hopefully we will see a little of it tonight! 

Edited by No_Problemo

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Would there really be sufficient data of him playing there with a competent midfield for that to be shown in the numbers? 

He certainly did it against Israel, driving forward and breaking lines as well as linking up and playing one twos with those in front of him. 

Hopefully we will see a little of it tonight! 

The 3-2 game? I dunno man:

None of the midfield trinity of McGinn, McGregor and Gilmour will be making way for McTominey or anyone else. They are so settled playing together and make the team tick. 

The only selection issues will be the rcb and who plays with Adams up front. 

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

1) Lets play our best players

2) Drop McTominay for Jack Hendry

Cool.

Scott McTominay is a better footballer than either John Souttar or Jack Hendry. This is beyond any debate.

Scott McTominay being a better centre back than either John Souttar or Jack Hendry is entirely up for debate.

Souttar also performed the carrying the ball out of defence role superbly in our last competitive game against a much better team than anyone we'll be playing in this window. Denmark also got no joy out of him & O'Donnell, they worked very well together defensively as well as Souttar doing everything we needed in possession.

For me that performance made Souttar first choice for the right hand side of defence; the only question is whether if he's fit enough for tonight.

4 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Scott McTominay is a better footballer than either John Souttar or Jack Hendry. This is beyond any debate.

Scott McTominay being a better centre back than either John Souttar or Jack Hendry is entirely up for debate.

Souttar also performed the carrying the ball out of defence role superbly in our last competitive game against a much better team than anyone we'll be playing in this window. Denmark also got no joy out of him & O'Donnell, they worked very well together defensively as well as Souttar doing everything we needed in possession.

For me that performance made Souttar first choice for the right hand side of defence; the only question is whether if he's fit enough for tonight.

I think McTominay gets unfair stick, but I always feel he has a mistake in him at the heart of defense, either Vs Denmark or Israel he fell over the ball and we nearly conceded from it. 

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

RCB/LCB in our back three system isn’t really a traditional “centre back” role though. If we were talking about the central position (that Hanley traditionally occupies) or if we played a back four, then I’d agree with you, but our RCB/LCB need to get forward and support the midfield. The best two players at doing that are Tierney (best by a mile) and McTominay. Everyone else in our squad is just a traditional CB who’d be more at home playing the Hanley role or playing CB in a back four.

That’s the main reason for me why a flat back four has to be a serious consideration for this game. The back three was devised to fit Tierney and Robertson into the same XI. In the absence of Kieran Tierney, we are forced to play an inept option at LCB, McTominay out of position and probably play more defensive than we’d like to. We can play the EXACT same XI but have two players in more suitable roles by moving to a back four tonight.

Gordon

SOD-Hanley-Cooper-Robertson

McTominay-Gilmour-McGregor

McGinn-Adams-Christie

In reality it’ll probably be this exact lineup but with McTominay playing in a back three 

None of the midfield trinity of McGinn, McGregor and Gilmour will be making way for McTominey or anyone else. They are so settled playing together and make the team tick. 
The only selection issues will be the rcb and who plays with Adams up front. 

And the LCB and the RWB

Hi guys, welsh fan here. This thread makes for an interesting read particularly some of the warped (or uninformed?) view on the current Wales team. We are unbeaten in 9 games and I think its fair to say we will present any team a very significant test at the CCS. Our record against you has over the last 10 years or so been excellent but for us older fans we still hold a grudge against that handball! Whilst I would rather play Ukraine I am pretty sure you will win tonight but hoping you have ET and pens! We will play a B team tonight with Page stating that this will be the case so that means Bale, Rambo, James et al will all be left out and probably regardless of how badly we may fare v Poland. Without doubt our strength lies in our attack and you may not like it but its not all about stopping Bale, perhaps check out our game v Hungary for evidence. Anyway, wishing you guys all the best, see you in Cardiff on Sunday.

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

That’s the main reason for me why a flat back four has to be a serious consideration for this game. The back three was devised to fit Tierney and Robertson into the same XI. In the absence of Kieran Tierney, we are forced to play an inept option at LCB, McTominay out of position and probably play more defensive than we’d like to. We can play the EXACT same XI but have two players in more suitable roles by moving to a back four tonight.

I don't think it makes any significant difference. The shape changes all the time during a game in relation to where the play is, where the ball is and where a players teammates are. 

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Not sure RWB is a selection “issue” as such. It’ll be Patterson if he’s fit and O’Donnell if he’s not. 

Patterson who Clarke basically admitted he wouldn’t have called up for the last squad if it wasn’t friendlies?

Cant see it not being SOD imo. 

24 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Not sure RWB is a selection “issue” as such. It’ll be Patterson if he’s fit and O’Donnell if he’s not. 

Hickey could easily get the nod at RWB given that he's started playing there a bit at club level and O'Donnell missed about two months with an injury.

8 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Patterson who Clarke basically admitted he wouldn’t have called up for the last squad if it wasn’t friendlies?

Cant see it not being SOD imo. 

Aaron Hickey (who is on the verge of signing for Arsenal) has played RWB for Bologna on a few occasions this season.

I don't think it's outwith the realms of possibility that he gets a game ahead of SOD.

4 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Gordon

Hickey Hanley Cooper Robertson

McGinn Gilmour McGregor

Adams Dykes Christie

Team for tonight apparently. 

The system makes sense (hopefully!)

Without Tierney the usual system wouldn't work same