Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

1 minute ago, Lex said:

Wales have been in the last eight of the world cup and the last four of the Euros, Scotland have managed neither. So, not a one off cup run.  

Two off cup run then.

I would be shocked for even Wales fans to think they are better, it seems to be self hating Scottish fans only. Quite impressive really.

Or maybe some people genuinely prefer getting to the second round of the world cup once, as opposed to qualifying 9 times. Fair enough I guess.

Gordon, Hickey, Souttar, Hanley, Cooper, Robertson, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, Dykes, Adams.

Couple of controversial ones in there, but:

1) Hickey is simply a better player than the alternatives. Let's play our best players. Enough of the O'Donnell stuff, every time he plays we're effectively sacrificing our attacking threat down the right wing. One of our frequent build-up patterns is overloading down the left hand side and focusing play there before rapidly switching it to the right, where our RWB has a 1v1. If our RWB can't win a 1v1, then that's no use to us. Hickey's two-footedness and quickness make him a much better fit for this than whatever the f**k it is O'Donnell brings to the table.

2) No more McTominay in defence either. It worked very well as a stop-gap solution when didn't have great options and we prioritised players who could pass the ball out of defence over their defending ability, but those days are done. We should now be selecting our outside CB's based on the overall package they bring, for two reasons:

a) We're perfectly capable of building through the middle now that Gilmour has emerged to compliment McGregor. Sacrificing defensive ability for ball progression ability no longer makes sense for us.

b) Our RCB options are now good enough that the overall package they bring effectively replicates the positives that McTominay brought to that position anyway. Souttar and Hendry are very good passers, but crucially they can also defend and don't get caught out of position.

Could pick Hendry over Souttar and that'd be cool too. Just not McTominay. Bring him on when Gilmour tires.

2-0 Scotland, Ukraine start brightly but run out of steam after 30 minutes and two second half goals get the job done. Adams has a cracking game.

17 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

If he hadnt played on Sunday I could see McKenna over Cooper since he plays left of a three for his club. 

Things have worked out quite unfortunately. Scott McKenna and/or Liam Cooper would have potentially got minutes during the March camp against Austria in place of Kieran Tierney if they both hadn't been injured. Now Kieran Tierney is injured, our potential replacements are a bit of an unknown quantity to supporters with one of them only joining the June camp two days ago. That's more bad luck than poor planning.

Just now, Satoshi said:

Two off cup run then.

I would be shocked for even Wales fans to think they are better, it seems to be self hating Scottish fans only. Quite impressive really.

Or maybe some people genuinely prefer getting to the second round of the world cup once, as opposed to qualifying 9 times. Fair enough I guess.

By second round you mean last eight, where they lost 1-0 to Pele's Brazil who would go on to lift the cup. Qualifying less times, but making an actual impact when you do get there or qualifying more times and getting sent home at the first stage every single time? 

I'd rather have the former, if you'd rather the latter fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

By second round you mean last eight, where they lost 1-0 to Pele's Brazil who would go on to lift the cup. Qualifying less times, but making an actual impact when you do get there or qualifying more times and getting sent home at the first stage every single time? 

Probably won't find a single Welsh person to agree with your there, appearing once in 1958 compared to qualifying 9 times? They managed one more game than Scotland in the one world cup they managed to get to 😂

It's as painfully one sided as our head to head.

Nothing against Wales, they are a decent side for their size and interest in football. Domestically and internationally they are deep in our shadow and always will be, but that's just the natural order of things.

16 minutes ago, Lex said:

Qualifying less times, but making an actual impact when you do get there or qualifying more times and getting sent home at the first stage every single time? 

St Mirren mentality.

50 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

BE7C0AD9-B476-44BF-9907-0AD2E27BA170.jpeg.7c2179979be73a6698a77dcc6776f319.jpeg

Only the Russians, the Welsh and ourselves will be supporting Scotland.  I am happy for us to pack a wee Ukrainian flag in the kit man’s bag and represent them when we travel to Qatar.

Gordon, Hickey, Souttar, Hanley, Cooper, Robertson, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, Dykes, Adams.
1) Hickey is simply a better player than the alternatives. Let's play our best players. Enough of the O'Donnell stuff, every time he plays we're effectively sacrificing our attacking threat down the right wing. One of our frequent build-up patterns is overloading down the left hand side and focusing play there before rapidly switching it to the right, where our RWB has a 1v1. If our RWB can't win a 1v1, then that's no use to us. Hickey's two-footedness and quickness make him a much better fit for this than whatever the f**k it is O'Donnell brings to the table.
2) No more McTominay in defence either. It worked very well as a stop-gap solution when didn't have great options and we prioritised players who could pass the ball out of defence over their defending ability, but those days are done. We should now be selecting our outside CB's based on the overall package they bring, for two reasons:
a) We're perfectly capable of building through the middle now that Gilmour has emerged to compliment McGregor. Sacrificing defensive ability for ball progression ability no longer makes sense for us.
b) Our RCB options are now good enough that the overall package they bring effectively replicates the positives that McTominay brought to that position anyway. Souttar and Hendry are very good passers, but crucially they can also defend and don't get caught out of position.
Could pick Hendry over Souttar and that'd be cool too. Just not McTominay. Bring him on when Gilmour tires.
2-0 Scotland, Ukraine start brightly but run out of steam after 30 minutes and two second half goals get the job done. Adams has a cracking game.

Good to have you back on the Scotland threads. We need all the top quality posters we can get for this match.

23 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Things have worked out quite unfortunately. Scott McKenna and/or Liam Cooper would have potentially got minutes during the March camp against Austria in place of Kieran Tierney if they both hadn't been injured. Now Kieran Tierney is injured, our potential replacements are a bit of an unknown quantity to supporters with one of them only joining the June camp two days ago. That's more bad luck than poor planning.

I wouldnt say McKenna and Cooper are unknown quantities.

McKenna has 24 caps, Cooper 13. Both have played in that left of a three often enough for us to know more or less what we are getting. McKenna is the more interesting option for me to see if a season doing well in that position for Forest has improved his previous limitations. Cooper has never looked particularly comfortable in that wider position but is generally a good defender/leader.

29 minutes ago, G51 said:

1) Lets play our best players

2) Drop McTominay for Jack Hendry

Cool.

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

One thing I’m sure we can all agree on, let’s hope whoever wins tonight put Bale and the rest of the leek munchers into early retirement on Sunday 

Is it really “tried and tested” without Tierney in there?

The last two occasions we played a back three without him were Czech Republic at Hampden (injured) and away to Denmark (he played LWB). Big yikes on both occasions. 

I’d be tempted by 4-3-3 with McTominay in midfield. That way we’d have the option to change to 3-4-3 during the game if need be. 

That is my fear 

We played back three v Czechs without Tierney in there and couldn't step on ball out into midfield,  so lumped long to dykes all day

Mctominay was also played midfield that day 

58 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Gordon

Hickey Hanley Cooper Robertson

McGinn Gilmour McGregor

Adams Dykes Christie

Team for tonight apparently. 

According to who? 

Very attacking but I kinda like it 

7 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

1) Lets play our best players

2) Drop McTominay for Jack Hendry

Cool.

People may not have noticed this, but McTominay isn't actually a good centre back