Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

Er, maybe you should actually have a look at Wales vs. Scotland qualification record.
Or indeed their H2H record.
To say Scotland is dominating is a bit of an understatement (and that's more than fair enough, we are a much bigger country and they aren't that even bothered about football).
The fact they have recently had an okay record doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'd be surprised if Wales ever match Scotlands record of qualifying for 9 World Cups (competing at 8). It's far more likely they qualify once every 50 odd years (with Scotland qualifying more frequently, and going further).
It's the last 37 years though that looks really ropey. Here it is from Wales pov:

c6f7de84bc382da0fb9d35db600f7976.jpg

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

It's the last 37 years though that looks really ropey. Here it is from Wales pov:

c6f7de84bc382da0fb9d35db600f7976.jpg

We actually finished ahead of them in that group in 2013! And Bale dived to win a penalty in one of those games.

But yeah sometimes the h2h throws up some interesting records, Scotland dominate Croatia for example. The longer the history, the less likely it is to be skewed. Hence Scotland running ragged over Wales over the full period.

Edited by Satoshi

I've just been out for a run to try to shake off the jitters (failed), and listened to this podcast as I went:
https://audioboom.com/posts/8091884-scotland-v-ukraine-preview-w-tartan-scarf-podcast-max-kucheriavyi

It was quite balanced without being sycophantic.
The St Johnstone 'keeper Max Kucheriavyi was on it and his take (and, according to him, the mood of his nation) on the Duolingo thing and the 'should Scotland lie down' thing is pretty clear: we don't want a pat on the head, we just want a chance to compete and win.

Good on them. Now may the best team win... and ffs please let it be Scotland!

Barring any massive surprises, is this the team for tonight? 

Gordon

O'Donnell Hendry Hanley Cooper Robertson

McGregor Gilmour

McGinn

Adams Dykes

Questions marks for me are Hendry v McTominay and Christie in for someone, as Clarke seems to rate him in big games. 

I think McKenna might start. 

What time normally is the team announced? About 2 hours before kick off?

Usually 90 minutes before. UEFA often have it on their website before the SFA officially release it.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd be very surprised if McTominay doesn't start, especially with Hendry not having featured much for his club in the last few months.

image.thumb.png.84efec5744f22d6178fd9d98c8e9809f.png

I'd be astounded if John Souttar starts.

Gordon

McTominay  Hanley  Cooper

O'Donnell  McGinn  Gilmour  McGregor  Robertson

Christie Adams

If he hadnt played on Sunday I could see McKenna over Cooper since he plays left of a three for his club. Clarke also loves Dykes and Adams playing together when possible but I dont think it suits either player and I'd be pretty nervous if we start with both, especially since Christie has been low-key vital to giving us extra energy up front in the last few games.

On the assumption that Patterson is out and Gilmour is fit to start then I think the only two question marks are LCB and whether it’s a 3-4-3 with Ryan Christie or a 3-5-2 with Dykes

Gordon

McT-Hanley-(Cooper/McKenna)

SOD-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn-Adams-Christie

Gordon

McT-Hanley-(Cooper/McKenna)

SOD-Gilmour-McGregor-Robertson

McGinn

Dykes-Adams

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd be very surprised if McTominay doesn't start, especially with Hendry not having featured much for his club in the last few months.

He was out of the team for a couple of months but he's started 2 of their last 3 and came off the bench in the first half of the other. 

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Er, maybe you should actually have a look at Wales vs. Scotland qualification record.

Or indeed their H2H record.

To say Scotland is dominating is a bit of an understatement (and that's more than fair enough, we are a much bigger country and they aren't that even bothered about football).

The fact they have recently had an okay record doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'd be surprised if Wales ever match Scotlands record of qualifying for 9 World Cups (competing at 8). It's far more likely they qualify once every 50 odd years (with Scotland qualifying more frequently, and going further).

Wales have made it to the knock out stages of three tournaments, including the last two Euros in a row. Scotland never have. Personally, i'd rather have their record than ours. That run to the semi final in 2016 was superb.

6 minutes ago, Lex said:

Wales have made it to the knock out stages of three tournaments, including the last two Euros in a row. Scotland never have. Personally, i'd rather have their record than ours. That run to the semi final in 2016 was superb.

Already responded to this in depth, Scotland have been in the last 8 of the Euros and the last 16 of the world cup more times than Wales have even qualified for tournaments.

But yeah if you prefer a one off cup run Vs 140 years of Scotland out performing Wales in every way then fair enough. By similar metrics, Greece are better than England and Iceland are better than the Netherlands.

Edited by Satoshi

20 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

They were talking on the radio there about singing the Ukrainian anthem. Some boy giving it “don’t feel bad if you don’t get it exactly right”.

f**k offfffffff.

Given I'm up for offering people out for what they do to the Gaelic bit of Loch Lomond I'm not sure that's true. 

3 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Already responded to this in depth, Scotland have been in the last 8 of the Euros and the last 16 of the world cup more times than Wales have even qualified for tournaments.

Wales have been in the last eight of the world cup and the last four of the Euros, Scotland have managed neither. So, not a one off cup run.