Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

24 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Where is the best pub for atmosphere around hampden before the game? Normally in the town before games but concerned about frequency of trains.

Only one I know is the Clockwork, it gets pretty lively on match days.

Reminds me of the whole "should have started Adams and Dykes against Czech Republic"  and the whole "should have had an extra midfielder against Croatia" . So we can all look forward to that after the Ukraine game. 
Tbf, that'll only happen if we lose.

3 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Where is the best pub for atmosphere around hampden before the game? Normally in the town before games but concerned about frequency of trains.

Penny Farthing on Cathcart Road. 

Ryan Jack out of Wednesday and next Sunday if we get there.
Allan Campbell called up. 
Not great but tbf Jack was never likely to start ahead of McGregor & Gilmour. We are a wee bit thin there for cover tho. No idea if Campbell is an adequate replacement or just the next best option.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
16 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Not great but tbf Jack was never likely to start ahead of McGregor & Gilmour. We are a wee bit thin there for cover tho. No idea if Campbell is an adequate replacement or just the next best option.

Jack would have most likely came on at some stage against Ukraine so still a bit of a loss IMO. Losing both our back up central midfielders isn’t great when they will be needed to start nations league games too. If Gilmour or McGregor get injured we are pretty fucked. 

Jack would have most likely came on at some stage against Ukraine so still a bit of a loss IMO. Losing both our back up central midfielders isn’t great when they will be needed to start nations league games too. If Gilmour or McGregor get injured we are pretty fucked. 
Aye, kind of what I was getting at re cover - Gilmour and McGregor will start, but we can't expect them to play all five games for 90 mins.
Are we discounting Lewis Ferguson? I know he is primarily an attacking midfielder for Aberdeen, but I think he has enough to his game to play holding midfield.

Gilmour never lasts 90 minutes for us and we're missing the best option to replace him (Jack) and the usual person to replace him (McLean). Doesn't sound like a big deal but adequately seeing a game out has hardly been this team's strong point and this will make it harder.

McTominay is the first cover for Gilmour and McGregor imo. Any further injuries and we’d probably see McTominay move forward and Hendry come in at RCB.

In other news I was thankful to see the UCL final finish in 90 minutes and Robertson seemingly came through unscathed. Let’s hope the same happens with McKenna this afternoon.

Would McKenna start, he is a bit of a bombscare at times.

Not being funny but has Barry Bannan retired from international football, think he is one of the best dead ball players we have. Would start big Stewart up front,in better form than dykes and puts himself about more.

As for the game itself,feeling conflicted now as if there was one world cup you wouldn't be bothered missing out on it would be in Qatar, also wouldn't be distraught if Ukraine beat us. Could feel different once inside Hampden though.

10 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
10 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

No real surprise. Both he and Tierney are perma crocks. Great players but simply cannot play more than a dozen games before breaking down. 

Delighted for Wee Al. He was voted player of the season by some Luton fan groups. A team that made the Championship play offs. He always gives 100%. I assume he will play a part v Armenia. They are bottom seeds and I would not be surprised to see our second string team (so to speak) out v Armenia at Hampden. Strongest team v Ukraine, (Wales) and ROI. 

I find it interesting that Steve Clarke called up a replacement player for Ryan Jack. He wouldn't do that unless he thought there was some value in doing so, which tells us something in itself - hard to read into exactly what that means though. Is Allan Campbell close to a like for like replacement for Ryan Jack? I haven't seen him play much at all.

Players who have previously played in either our double or single pivot since we changed our shape at the start of the WCQ campaign presently in the squad are Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Scott McTominay, Lewis Ferguson and John McGinn. I'm assuming that list of names is where Campbells name will be added to.

33 minutes ago, welldaft said:

No real surprise. Both he and Tierney are perma crocks. Great players but simply cannot play more than a dozen games before breaking down. 

Delighted for Wee Al. He was voted player of the season by some Luton fan groups. A team that made the Championship play offs. He always gives 100%. I assume he will play a part v Armenia. They are bottom seeds and I would not be surprised to see our second string team (so to speak) out v Armenia at Hampden. Strongest team v Ukraine, (Wales) and ROI. 

Had actually forgot that we've got (potentially) 4 games to play in ten days - wild!

Probably could've done with an original squad with closer to 30 players in it, rather than calling players up last minute when they've booked their hols.

Campbell was called up with everyone else last week so Clarke must have known there was a potential issue with a midfielder. He might have just wanted Jack to see Scotland's medical folk before officially bringing Campbell in.

I’ve no idea what Campbell is like, but based on the last 2 friendlies I wouldn’t feel at all comfortable with Ferguson coming on to see out a play-off game.

Hoping Gilmour is better placed to play the full 90 this time round.