Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

38 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I disagree, I think their minds will be completely on the job at hand. What I hope for is that they're not match fit and we can use that to our advantage if things are level going into the last half hour.

Even if they are focused, they were still mediocre without an invading force murdering their friends and family. We picked up our group and ran with it, after a disappointing start.

No excuses. Get them sworded, boys.

24 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah there is that. How many times have we seen Old Firm sides caught cold and knocked out in the July/August euro qualifiers to Scandinavian teams etc who are already mid-way thru their season.

Scottish clubs European record in July/August v clubs that play summer leagues in the last 20 years:

Wins: 31
Losses: 17

Most of those losses came over ten years ago and the vast majority of wins are in the last decade. I think Scottish clubs are now better at getting their match fitness up earlier in the year, sports science is playing a bigger part and are clubs are, generally, more prepared for early European games. That bodes well for us as the last thing Ukraine have had is proper preparation to get ready for a game with limited match fitness.

I'm not quite as confident. I'd say it's more of a 50:50 game even if Scotland have home advantage. Their current manager took over after the Euros and has got them to a good level.

I watched their recent games against Bulgaria (H), Bosnia (A), France (H) and Monchengladbach (A). They were good in all of those games, quite an attacking set-up and better on the ball than Scotland. That said, Bosnia and Bulgaria really were rubbish and France were clearly better so I haven't seen a game where they have met a team around their level - I think the playoff game will be that. 

Match sharpness only has the potential to affect their home-based players which in general make up roughly half of their starting team. I think we will have to play close to our best to win.

Edited by 2426255

How does everyone think the atmosphere will be at this? Will it be more subdued because of who we are playing? or it will it be rocking like a game of this magnitude should/would normally be? I really hope its the latter and we get right behind the boys! 

As for the game itself, I don't feel as confident as I did back in March for some reason. Tierney missing out would be huge. The way we play we don't have anyone close to what he can do. Think it will be a tight, stuffy game but hopefully we can come through with the win! Intae them boys!!

8 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

How does everyone think the atmosphere will be at this? Will it be more subdued because of who we are playing? or it will it be rocking like a game of this magnitude should/would normally be? I really hope its the latter and we get right behind the boys! 

As for the game itself, I don't feel as confident as I did back in March for some reason. Tierney missing out would be huge. The way we play we don't have anyone close to what he can do. Think it will be a tight, stuffy game but hopefully we can come through with the win! Intae them boys!!

Aye I'll be treating it the same as any game, probably with more "get fuckin intae thum!" energy because of the stakes. If there's a weight to this fixture because of current events then let it be carried by Ukraine (if anyone, hopefully for their sake they leave it in the dressing room). We shouldn't get distracted by that, and I feel that Clarke will be imparting just that sort of wisdom.

Of course we're favourites. We have a better team than them, simple as. We're at home as well. Go out and hammer them from the first whistle. Let anything in the background lie on the minds of the Ukraine players. 

A lot of hubris in the last few dozen posts. I feel naturally pulled towards the same sort of thing, but bitter experience is keeping me in the cautious camp. This is such a complex scenario that I don't think anyone can comfortably predict the outcome.

What's the away support going to be like?  Obviously I can't imagine there'll be much chartering of flights out of the country for it, but as with a lot of matches we tend to have, there'll be Ukrainians dotted around Europe in a better position to travel.  I'd like to see us do something prior to the game as a show of solidarity towards them.  That'd be nice.  But then, of course, we should absolutely fucking end them in a footballing sense.

In all seriousness, I think we're narrow favourites.  I doubt we're going to go out there and pump them - although that'd be nice - but we should win.  I think realistically it'll probably be a narrow, nervy win that does no-one inside of Hampden any favours.  It's always been that final - should we get there - that really worries me.  

44 minutes ago, MarkoDevilovich said:

F**kin Right, get torn right into the N*zi b**tard representative to the next World Cup, we should aim to be thinking of Cardiff by half time.

Sick of the sympathy for their State.

More sympathetic to the people, but not our fault they let themselves become a playground for freaks.

Fail this mission we are truly pathetic.

*Queue loads of negative marks from folk who haven't a clue what's being played out over there

You should go and sort them out. I'll pay your airfare to join a Russian tank brigade. 

17 hours ago, forameus said:

What's the away support going to be like?  Obviously I can't imagine there'll be much chartering of flights out of the country for it, but as with a lot of matches we tend to have, there'll be Ukrainians dotted around Europe in a better position to travel.  I'd like to see us do something prior to the game as a show of solidarity towards them.  That'd be nice.  But then, of course, we should absolutely fucking end them in a footballing sense.

In all seriousness, I think we're narrow favourites.  I doubt we're going to go out there and pump them - although that'd be nice - but we should win.  I think realistically it'll probably be a narrow, nervy win that does no-one inside of Hampden any favours.  It's always been that final - should we get there - that really worries me.  

Tickets are still on sale. There will be a lot of Ukrainians based in England that are coming up and as you say more from elsewhere in Europe. I doubt they’ll be any Ukraine based fans being able to come over. 

9C8F7C80-E0FF-408B-9B67-E26F89A98DF4.png

9 hours ago, MarkoDevilovich said:

F**kin Right, get torn right into the N*zi b**tard representative to the next World Cup, we should aim to be thinking of Cardiff by half time.

More sympathetic to the people, but not our fault they let themselves become a playground for freaks.

*Queue loads of negative marks from folk who haven't a clue what's being played out over there

Watch you don't cut yourself on that edge.

11 hours ago, MarkoDevilovich said:

20220201_112133.jpg

Sounds like someone "did their own research."

9 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

the only way the occasion and ongoing events in ukraine will ffect the outcome of this match will be if WE are the ones affected by it

You don't think there's any possibility of the Ukraine-based players being affected by not having played competitive football since early December?