Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

17 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
Hear what?

What the script is with the play off game?

As far as I'm aware, we can expect it to go ahead as planned unless we hear otherwise. I don't think there's a specific decision being made on it.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, monthefife said:

Yes. He should be as far away from the squad as possible. 

You’re joking right? He’s played pretty well for Scotland in the past. The emergence of Gilmour might have made his place in the starting XI redundant but Ryan Jack absolutely belongs in the squad. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

You’re joking right? He’s played pretty well for Scotland in the past. The emergence of Gilmour might have made his place in the starting XI redundant but Ryan Jack absolutely belongs in the squad. 

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Jack has turned in two tremendous performances against Borussia Dortmund in the last week and some folk still don't want him even in the squad?

I think what he means is that Jack shouldn't be anywhere near right back. Monthefife would come across as looking pretty stupid if he actually meant Jack shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. 

Chris McLaughlin on Reporting Scotland saying he expects this playoff to go ahead... but not necessarily versus Ukraine (which would imply another side - Hungary or Finland? - being admitted).

Basically as they'll have bigger concerns than playing football; and may not have access to all their usual players and/or with match practice.

Surprising take? I'd have thought national pride and the sheer symbolism of taking their place rather than scratching would see them wanting to fulfil game if at all possible.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Chris McLaughlin on Reporting Scotland saying he expects this playoff to go ahead... but not necessarily versus Ukraine (which would imply another side - Hungary or Finland? - being admitted).

Basically as they'll have bigger concerns than playing football; and may not have access to all their usual players and/or with match practice.

Surprising take? I'd have thought national pride and the sheer symbolism of taking their place rather than scratching would see them wanting to fulfil game if at all possible.

“If at all possible” doing the heavy lifting here.

My gut feeling is they’d go for Hungary based on UNL ranking rather than Finland who came third in Ukraine’s group. 

24 minutes ago, Donathan said:

“If at all possible” doing the heavy lifting here.

My gut feeling is they’d go for Hungary based on UNL ranking rather than Finland who came third in Ukraine’s group. 

Maybe, but there must be plenty Ukrainian players at clubs outside Ukraine. In the circumstance I wonder if they wouldn't try to field a team - any team - as an act of defiance, rather than quit? International football is afterall an expression of their identity.

EDIT: Quick look shows they've used 19 players based such clubs in past 12 months alone. I'm not suggesting there couldn't be potential difficulties but the idea we may be still playing 2 rounds in March, but with somebody else being given or taking up Ukraine's place, surprised me as that scenario hadn't struck me as particularly likely.

If they cannot play I'd have thought a delay to June might be considered... there are dates available (e.g. UEFA already added Artemio Franchi Trophy to Italy's schedule) and the intercontinental playoffs involving the other continents are that month.

There will be obvious and understandable sympathy at their plight, and it'd look terrible for UEFA to have Russia fulfilling their ties in Baku or wherever - potentially even qualifying for WC itself with 2 wins - while Ukraine had withdrawn or been removed.

Edited by HibeeJibee

They could defintiely field a squad from non Ukraine based players.

Is there anything the Ukranian FA have to do which they can't do eg just the practicalities of some group of men meeting and selecting a squad and notifying the players and UEFA, organising travel and accommodation for players, getting a kit and a management team to Glasgow etc

Maybe nothing insurmountable but maybe something they feel they won't be prioritising if they are literally fighting in the streets?

I don't think Chris McLaughlin has the tiniest idea what is going on in UEFA or within the Ukrainian FA, so this feels like guesswork as much as anything.

I'm thinking Hungary/Finland might be the best thing here. It lets the Ukrainian players focus on what's most important (even the players based outwith the country will almost certainly have friends and relatives in Ukraine), and removes the political baggage from the playoff.

Is there an issue with some men from the national team fighting and potentially dying on the streets of Ukraine to defend the existence of their country and their team mates, who are lucky enough to live and play outside Ukraine, being on the TV playing a game of football?

Just a thought. Perhaps it would be a welcome distraction for 90 minutes. 

12 hours ago, Donathan said:

The thing that was concerning me is that men between 18-60 are banned from leaving Ukraine and I was thinking Shevchenko would be affected by this, but then I realised he’s not their manager anymore and has been replaced by a 64 year old guy 

Whilst this is true, Zelenskiy strikes me as someone who would allow the squad to travel. Let’s be honest, the world will be watching this game, and putting out a strong show of defiance on the pitch will boost the spirits of Ukrainians in the streets of Ukraine.

9 hours ago, QwaarJet said:

When are general tickets on sale?

Monday 10am, although from last check, it’ll be a scramble.