Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

Just now, craigkillie said:

I don't mean to be rude, but have you not been paying attention to the qualifiers at all? When did you think these other Nations League qualifiers would be taking place? The two best non-qualified Nations League group winners (Austria and Czech Republic) just took up two of the unseeded spots in these play-offs, we qualified anyway, and as a seed, so our Nations League performance was irrelevant.

Thanks for clearing it up, yeah, I just had a completely different unfounded notion that it was separate. Clearly not paid enough attention to it all!

8 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Have you not been following his club career? Or do you really think he's as good as he ever was?

Your opinions on football are fucking dogshit mate.

Bale isn’t as good as he once was, fair enough. He’s still fucking light years ahead of any player we have going forward. 

I think last night showed that we clearly aren’t a better side than Ukraine. 

McGinn really showing last night that he should be playing Champions League football as well. Klopp & Pep getting the chequebooks out as we speak to start a bidding war.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Thanks for clearing it up, yeah, I just had a completely different unfounded notion that it was separate. Clearly not paid enough attention to it all!

See if we'd tried harder against Colombia in the 1988 Rous Cup, that wouldn't have helped either.

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

Last night, of the two teams who played, the better team won without a shadow of a doubt. How's that for you? 

Isn't it only natural human curiosity though to try to understand why that was? To look at prior form and performances and compare? 

If you find that "bizarre", then perhaps a discussion forum isn't for you.

Prior form? You can look at that if you do it both ways. You can look at anything deep enough if you want to find the excuses that will make you feel better. 

Ukraine were unbeaten in their qualifying campaign to finish second behind France. Yes, that's right, France couldn't beat them in both games. They are a good side. They are above us in the world rankings.

Natural curiosity to find out why they beat us? They are a better team than us, evidently. It doesn't have to be much deeper than that Gordo.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

See if we'd tried harder against Colombia in the 1988 Rous Cup, that wouldn't have helped either.

Trying to recover from a hangover, have admitted to a f**k up on a thread on P&B, but you of all people trying to take the piss takes the fucking biscuit. 

17 minutes ago, G51 said:

Ditching 3CB whenever we don't have Tierney makes a lot of sense, but it also leaves us trying to coach two different shapes in a limited time period. There aren't a lot of easy answers.

Indeed. We don't have another player anything like Tierney. I wouldn't trust Robertson as a starting LCB even if he does cover for Tierney a lot of the time.

I don't think it's outwith the realms of ability to coach the team into two different systems though, especially when we end up having to change system when chasing the game anyway!

45 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

You don't think Robertson or Tierney or mctominay or mcginn would get in their team?

Even gordon was miles better than their keeper.

No, and especially McTominay, the most overrated Scottish internationalist of the last decade.

And what is this 'even' Gordon ??

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Indeed. We don't have another player anything like Tierney. I wouldn't trust Robertson as a starting LCB even if he does cover for Tierney a lot of the time.

I don't think it's outwith the realms of ability to coach the team into two different systems though, especially when we end up having to change system when chasing the game anyway!

I think you can coach two different shapes, but I don't know if you can coach them well, if that makes sense.

Ideally, we'd find a replacement for Tierney in that LCB role. I'm not as tuned into our up and coming young players as I was, but I'm not sure we have a player like that coming through. Certainly not a left-sided one anyway.

8 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Ukraine were unbeaten in their qualifying campaign to finish second behind France. Yes, that's right, France couldn't beat them in both games. They are a good side. They are above us in the world rankings.

And? Kazakhstan ended bottom of that group with 3 points, 66.66% of those points came from Ukraine.  

Edited by Antiochas III

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

No, and especially McTominay, the most overrated Scottish internationalist of the last decade.

And what is this 'even' Gordon ??

Craig Gordon has been great for us, but I dont think there would be many decent international teams fighting over the 39 year old hearts keeper. Is what I mean by even gordon.

McTominay is one of our better players who we are lucky to have.

3 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

And? Kazakhstan ended bottom of that group with 3 points, 66.66% of those points came from Ukraine.  

Well done Kazakhstan I say. Credit to them.

44 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

For all we give England grief for being arrogant or getting carried away, we don’t half engage in it ourselves.

Some amount of bravado before last night and before the Czech game at the Euros. Both times we were swept aside.

We were swept aside equal parts us being utter shite as them being great. If we turn up, or even just try and take advantage of a keeper that looked terrified, that's a much closer game. I don't think it was that crazy to feel like we were slight favourites before a ball was kicked.

7 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Prior form? You can look at that if you do it both ways. You can look at anything deep enough if you want to find the excuses that will make you feel better. 

Natural curiosity to find out why they beat us? They are a better team than us, evidently. It doesn't have to be much deeper than that Gordo.

I don't know if you're confusing me with another poster, but I was well aware of Ukraine's strength, ranking and recent form, and always expected this to be really tough. I actually questioned the bookies all having us as favourites - surely a big part of that was down to the Ukrainian situation (as well as our home advantage of course)?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick too about "finding excuses that will make you feel better". It's more about finding ways to navigate these type of ties better in future, and understanding why just about everything went wrong last night - selection, shape, individual performances - when in our recent run, we've managed to hit most or at least enough of the right notes in those games (certainly enough to get the results we needed to in them, against opposition comparable to or stronger than Ukraine).

I think you can coach two different shapes, but I don't know if you can coach them well, if that makes sense.
Ideally, we'd find a replacement for Tierney in that LCB role. I'm not as tuned into our up and coming young players as I was, but I'm not sure we have a player like that coming through. Certainly not a left-sided one anyway.

Doig's played LCB for Hibs a few times. I can see how that would work in some respects but I don't know how his line-breaking passing compares to Tierney's.

Lot of Hearts fans think Kingsley should be the backup too but I've not seen enough of him to say.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Doig's played LCB for Hibs a few times. I can see how that would work in some respects but I don't know how his line-breaking passing compares to Tierney's.

Lot of Hearts fans think Kingsley should be the backup too but I've not seen enough of him to say.

Yeah I dunno about Doig. Feels like his progress completely stalled this season.

If the LCB can't give us the line-breaking passing though, even just sending him forward as a legitimate crossing threat would make a big difference. Make the opposition account for him.

Out of curiosity (and to cheer myself up a tiny bit) I watched the highlights of the Denmark game.  When you compare the first two bits of play in this clip, it's absolutely night and day compared to anything the players did in the whole game last night.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

27 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Trying to recover from a hangover, have admitted to a f**k up on a thread on P&B, but you of all people trying to take the piss takes the fucking biscuit. 

It'll be a bit soggy.