Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

1 hour ago, Neilfs said:

The side at home in the final won all 3 pathways. 

In the end this was important, as I wouldn't see Wales winning in Kiev or wherever the game was played. 

In fairness, the Wales v Austria game should have been played the same week as Scotland v Ukraine. 

As someone who is English, I thought Scotland came out with great credit for how they greeted Ukraine. Wales seemed to have a win at all costs mentality, which is probably why they won. However it seemed distasteful somehow. 

The playoff final thing needs looked at, IMO. They should either move it to a neutral venue or at least guarantee the highest seed a home game in the final.

In both tournaments under the current format we’ve been the highest seed in our section and in both occasions we had to (or would have had to, in this case) play away from home in the final. 

10 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Dan James 😂

Horrendous shout. As soon as he loses even a yard of pace he’ll be finished as a top level footballer.

Basically the English sorry Welsh Miles Storey.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

8 hours ago, Neilfs said:

The side at home in the final won all 3 pathways. 

In the end this was important, as I wouldn't see Wales winning in Kiev or wherever the game was played. 

In fairness, the Wales v Austria game should have been played the same week as Scotland v Ukraine. 

As someone who is English, I thought Scotland came out with great credit for how they greeted Ukraine. Wales seemed to have a win at all costs mentality, which is probably why they won. However it seemed distasteful somehow. 

f**k up man. It’s a game of football to qualify for the World Cup. Wales won it, there was nothing distasteful about it. 

4 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

f**k up man. It’s a game of football to qualify for the World Cup. Wales won it, there was nothing distasteful about it. 

If we consider the game from a Ukrainian perspective it was more than a game of football.

Clearly on a literal basis, even playing a game of football seems academic whilst the invasion is continuing.

What the Ukrainians are trying to achieve is to maintain their Independence and keep their country's profile high.

Qualifying for the world cup would have been a great benefit to this. This is why most people, other than the Welsh, hoped they would prevail. 

Your compratiats, Souness et al, seemed to appreciate this more. 

I was merley paying homage to this. 

Edited by Neilfs

On 05/06/2022 at 20:51, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

They fluke themselves past some games they have no right to win

Ugh, what is this nonsense? Any team who plays a game has the right to win it.

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The point is pretty clear. If you’d prefer I’d put it more eloquently, then fine, but the point isn’t that hard to understand.

Please do elaborate why a team doesn't have the right to win a game. 

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Please do elaborate why a team doesn't have the right to win a game. 

Are we really doing this? The English language allows for emphasis where the literal value is clearly not true, but the underlying point is observably correct.

For your benefit, I’ll re-phrase: Wales have a valuable habit of winning games with the odds stacked against them. On occasion, any team can do that, but they seem to be able to ride their luck when needed.

That better?

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Are we really doing this? The English language allows for emphasis where the literal value is clearly not true, but the underlying point is observably correct.

For your benefit, I’ll re-phrase: Wales have a valuable habit of winning games with the odds stacked against them. On occasion, any team can do that, but they seem to be able to ride their luck when needed.

That better?

Yes, that does clarify things.

At what point do Wales actually become the favourites?  I'd say they were the other day against Ukraine.  At home with Gareth Bale playing, a player miles better than anything Ukraine have, and a squad who play like they're on speed when they play at the Cardiff City stadium.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

At what point do Wales actually become the favourites?  I'd say they were the other day against Ukraine.  At home with Gareth Bale playing, a player miles better than anything Ukraine have, and a squad who play like they're on speed when they play at the Cardiff City stadium.

Agreed. And it'll piss off some folk, but they'd have been the favourites against us in the final too. It's pretty undeniable that they've been more successful than us in recent times. Maybe for as long as ten to fifteen years.

The worrying part is that they've done it by seemingly appointing former players at random, some with little managerial experience. Christ, England are currently having their most successful spell in almost sixty years with a failed Middlesborough manager.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Agreed. And it'll piss off some folk, but they'd have been the favourites against us in the final too. It's pretty undeniable that they've been more successful than us in recent times. Maybe for as long as ten to fifteen years.

The worrying part is that they've done it by seemingly appointing former players at random, some with little managerial experience. Christ, England are currently having their most successful spell in almost sixty years with a failed Middlesborough manager.

Correct.  It's mildly infuriating that they can seemingly seamlessly switch between relatively inexperienced managers, with no ill effects.  None of their managers in recent times have exactly struck anyone as exceptional, but something clearly works.  Makes a mockery of some of the obsessions that we have north of the border, but then our mediocre managers return mediocre results...

They have actually been remarkably consistent since 2013-2014.  That coincides pretty closely to when Bale and Ramsey started banging them in.

It is incredibly petty, but I do look forward to the inevitable collapse when those two start winding up.  I have convinced myself that it's coming.  If they're able to keep qualifying with the likes of Dan James and Kieffer Moore leading the line, then we seriously need to test the water down there.

On 06/06/2022 at 03:57, F_T_Y said:

Brennan Johnson came off the bench yesterday would walk into the Scotland team, they have better players and a better manager than us so no surprise they won.

They also benefited massively from our game being delayed, having a 3 month wait for one game while Ukraine had to play competitive matches twice in 5 days after a long lay off.

Despite that long lay off they waltzed past us. By all accounts they were better against Wales than against us.

7 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Correct.  It's mildly infuriating that they can seemingly seamlessly switch between relatively inexperienced managers, with no ill effects.  None of their managers in recent times have exactly struck anyone as exceptional, but something clearly works.  Makes a mockery of some of the obsessions that we have north of the border, but then our mediocre managers return mediocre results...

They have actually been remarkably consistent since 2013-2014.  That coincides pretty closely to when Bale and Ramsey started banging them in.

It is incredibly petty, but I do look forward to the inevitable collapse when those two start winding up.  I have convinced myself that it's coming.  If they're able to keep qualifying with the likes of Dan James and Kieffer Moore leading the line, then we seriously need to test the water down there.

Yeah, it's inevitable they'll slide back down to the lower seedings, but it must be great being Welsh right now.

One of the things I find odd is that they do seem to produce one or two top-class goalscorers with each generation. It was Ian Rush and Mark Hughes when I was young, and they almost made it to a couple of tournaments. Weird that it's something we never seem to have.

37 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They didn't play like that though - they were fairly poor and got lucky.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

They didn't play like that though - they were fairly poor and got lucky.

They definitely got 2 huge bits of luck with the deflection and the non-penalty for Ukraine, but they clearly play with a high tempo against everyone at home and still created a lot of chances on Saturday.  It was the polar opposite of the Scotland side last week.

57 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They definitely got 2 huge bits of luck with the deflection and the non-penalty for Ukraine, but they clearly play with a high tempo against everyone at home and still created a lot of chances on Saturday.  It was the polar opposite of the Scotland side last week.

They were poor in the first half but after their goal the confidence soared and they were the better team. Ukraine were then playing like Scotland did to try and get back in the game. Wales more than deserved the win.

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Charlie Nicholas in the paper saying it was a mistake to play Hickey at right wing back as he's not very experienced there.

Then goes on to suggest we should have played Armstrong or Christie there instead 🤔

I thought he was being sarcastic when he said that tbh.