Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

7 minutes ago, red23 said:

The two most obvious points would be

• McTominay should never be in defence again. He's not a defender. Was the same as the Serbia game he just watches the ball sail past him and allows an unchallenged header. The difference having him in midfield made was massive and gave us a spark we were missing.
  • Hickey isn't ready, get yourself in to the under 21's boy

Mctominay has made mistakes in defence in every game he's played there for us

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Gilmour was pish. He gave the ball away multiple times.

That must be what Norwich fans were watching.

Every single Scotland player was shit last night. They should all be embarrassed by that performance.

Make no mistake, Ukraine were average at best. They didn’t need to be anything more to beat a team that had their flip flops on. 

Wales to comfortably beat Ukraine two or three nil and Scotland to fanny about in the Nations league before they eventually get to lie on the beach with a cocktail. 

For all the progress that we have made under Clarke there is s a tendency to make a c**t of it at the business end of things. See the last Nations League and last night for that. 

Luckily there are a few games coming up, so there is a chance of them getting the collective finger out and winning them. 

6 hours ago, Father Ted said:

Lumping balls up to a big man upfront is a dinosaur tactic that should be binned, unless you are chasing a goal in the last few minutes.

Why would lumping balls up to a big man up front work in the last few minutes and not any other time?

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Gilmour was pish. He gave the ball away multiple times.

That must be what Norwich fans were watching.

I actually think he wasn't given the ball enough. There were multiple times he was shouting for a pass but never got it, with the ball instead going to someone in defence and too often resulting in a punt or a pass up the wing to Robertson or Hickey, neither of whom had support ahead of them and who needed to turn back and pass back or in to the middle of the pitch or to try and take someone on. Robertson tried to take on a man more than usual and it's not really his strength, to put it lightly.

5 hours ago, qos_75 said:

Every single Scotland player was shit last night. They should all be embarrassed by that performance.

Make no mistake, Ukraine were average at best. They didn’t need to be anything more to beat a team that had their flip flops on. 

Wales to comfortably beat Ukraine two or three nil and Scotland to fanny about in the Nations league before they eventually get to lie on the beach with a cocktail. 

For all the progress that we have made under Clarke there is s a tendency to make a c**t of it at the business end of things. See the last Nations League and last night for that. 

Luckily there are a few games coming up, so there is a chance of them getting the collective finger out and winning them. 

I would be shocked if Wales comfortably beat Ukraine, Wales are full of crap players and Ukraine are on a high.

If I was a betting man it would be on them.

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Ukraine have better players than Wales.

Wales' team comprises of 10 EFL Championship jobbers plus Bale.

Yes, but annoyingly, the term ‘more than the sum of it’s parts’ was invented for this Wales squad. 

Yes, but annoyingly, the term ‘more than the sum of it’s parts’ was invented for this Wales squad. 

And the term ‘less than the sum of its parts’ was invented for…
I’m not sure if the Welsh will beat them, hopefully not. I am sure they will give them a much tougher test than we did.

Wales are 18th in the world rankings. Ukraine are 27th.

Incidentally, had we made the world cup we'd have been, by far, the lowest ranked team in our group. England are ranked 5th, USA 15th and Iran 21st. We're ranked 39th.

The World Rankings are a crock of shit in fairness, particularly in terms of not keeping up with teams who are vastly improving or quickly declining. They're also pointless for comparing teams across continents since there simply aren't enough cross-continental matches for the system to get it right.

I said in advance I was more worried about Ukraine and, if we got past them, Small Part of England than I was about England, Iran or USA. I'd stand by that. We've passed up a great chance to make an impact on the world stage.

This has probably been covered multiple times in this thread but what’s this obsession with out-swinging corners? Statistically, out-swingers are the least effective method of taking them. The Ukraine keeper was garbage - why not swing it in and get the big players right on top of him? This brings me on to my next point as well - I like Dykes but would he be better off the bench? After 75 mins Ukraine were out on their feet. Maybe that would be the time to bring him on instead of having Hanley charging around like that Reebok advert from the late 90s.

Was listening to a podcast earlier where Don Hutchinson said he thought Aaron Hickey was “exceptional”. That wasn’t how I’d have described his performance…

I'm probably just going to repeat what has been said already but...

I haven't felt that disappointed leaving Hampden in a long long time. To go from the performance against Denmark to that was baffling. Lumping the ball up to dykes all first half rather than the football/set up we played against Denmark. Not going to pick out individuals because I wouldnt say there was any worse than any other. Collectively just really really poor. Ukraine looked so calm and composed. No panic whatsoever. On paper they aren't any better than us. On the grass it was men against boys.  The calls for Clarkes head is ridiculous though. Yes he got it wrong but I genuinely believe the players love playing under him and the connection between the fans/players/staff has been as good as its been in many a years. BUT he needs to start learning from his mistakes and adapting. We were found out badly on Wednesday.

Additional thoughts - Any other game/opponent and their striker is sent off (second yellow) for going to the crowd . Obviously the occasion was in the refs head which i really hoped wouldn't be the case but it was. 

Tierneys injury was massive. What a big player he is for us when fit. 

There is far too much pressure being put on Gilmour. I really he hope he gets a good run somewhere this year and develops with some pressure off. He isn't our 'saviour' YET. The ukraine Midfield looked head and shoulders above anything we had. 

Hopefully the guys bounce back on Wednesday with a good performance and result!

This has probably been covered multiple times in this thread but what’s this obsession with out-swinging corners? Statistically, out-swingers are the least effective method of taking them. The Ukraine keeper was garbage - why not swing it in and get the big players right on top of him? This brings me on to my next point as well - I like Dykes but would he be better off the bench? After 75 mins Ukraine were out on their feet. Maybe that would be the time to bring him on instead of having Hanley charging around like that Reebok advert from the late 90s.

Was listening to a podcast earlier where Don Hutchinson said he thought Aaron Hickey was “exceptional”. That wasn’t how I’d have described his performance…

Our set pieces have been effective since McPhee came in (goals vs Israel, Denmark, Poland, Austria) but they did not work at all on Wednesday.

This stuff about a second yellow for the lad running to the fans is really grasping at straws. Were there really safety concerns for running towards his own fans? I'd say not even close.

Screenshot_20220603-094447_Opera.thumb.jpg.7f5dc92308fb97dc96ebb39a5521f9ce.jpg