Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

Honestly think everything surrounding this game affected our players and emboldened theirs. They didn't want sympathy, and I'd be surprised if they didn't feel a bit patronised by everyone falling over themselves to profess their mental ideas about how we should treat the game. They didn't need to be fired up but it clearly helped. 

Then on our side we're putting up videos about kids dying in the war up during the warm up (before an immediate and odd tonal shift to Big Country) and have spent weeks suggesting we shouldn't even win. If that even affects the players 1% then it's gone too far.

EDIT: and just opened the bbc sport app that was still on the page from last night, and they've even managed to patronise them after they deservedly cuffed us. "astonishing given the circumstances". No, they were just fucking better.

Edited by forameus

I don’t know why every defeat needs to turn into some kind of existential crisis tbh.

We were poor that’s it. It doesn't mean we have technically inferior players or that the Ukraine 11 would walk into our team (they are a much better team than they were being given credit for though) they wouldn’t.

I was thinking the game reminded me of West Ham v Frankfurt tie, a really good team that looked tired and burnt out a bit. My worry is whether we can pick it back up for Armenia but I hope the weeks rest will help a bit.

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I don’t know why every defeat needs to turn into some kind of existential crisis tbh.

We were poor that’s it. It doesn't mean we have technically inferior players or that the Ukraine 11 would walk into our team (they are a much better team than they were being given credit for though) they wouldn’t.

I was thinking the game reminded me of West Ham v Frankfurt tie, a really good team that looked tired and burnt out a bit. My worry is whether we can pick it back up for Armenia but I hope the weeks rest will help a bit.

Aye.... Iv been in and out this thread today and never bothered posting, mostly becasue its all been said well enough already, but we do lurch towards sacking the manager each time a qualifying campaign ends in failure, even in the instance where it was objectively success to get to this point. 

I hope Clarke learns a lot from this. I see no reason why he won't have. He built the feeling around this team, and its took a dunt for sure, but he can build it back. We just need to wise up a bit. 

12 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Its reverse exists too and it's probably even more absurd.

Take a look at some of the OTT nonsense on here in the wake of the Denmark game for evidence.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I see no reason why he won't have. He built the feeling around this team, and its took a dunt for sure, but he can build it back. We just need to wise up a bit. 

Twitter / anfieldonline: The players are ready. We're ... | Liverpool  anfield, Liverpool soccer, Liverpool football

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Take a look at some of the OTT nonsense on here in the wake of the Denmark game for evidence.

Yeah, I don’t disagree. It’s just more apparent when there’s a defeat o think, since nobody wants to sack a winning manager and players always look good when you are winning.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I hope Clarke learns a lot from this. I see no reason why he won't have. 

You see no reason? Apart from it being a similar submissive performance last night as it was against the Czechs and Croatians last summer 

It's no shame to lose against Ukraine but the manner in which we played for the first hour was embarrassing, the lack of fight, no attempt to put enough pressure on a very shaky opposition goalkeeper.

At the end of the day, we supporters should get other attempts to see us qualify for the World Cup but for the players it will be the last or second last chance. They need to live with the fact that they didn't step up to the plate on an important evening in their own careers.

13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I was on cloud nine (and pished) after that game so probably joined in with the hysteria and likely said we were going to win the World Cup, Euros and Wimbledon, but aye - i've found some of the hubris a bit weird at times. I don't mean the obviously tongue in cheek stuff, more the amount of folk dismissing Wales as if we'd obviously be too good for them and forgetting the fact that we were left on our arses at the Euros less than a year ago when we came up against decent sides.

Just now, Bogbrush1903 said:

You see no reason? Apart from it being a similar submissive performance last night as it was against the Czechs and Croatians last summer 

It's no shame to lose against Ukraine but the manner in which we played for the first hour was embarrassing, the lack of fight, no attempt to put enough pressure on a very shaky opposition goalkeeper.

At the end of the day, we supporters should get other attempts to see us qualify for the World Cup but for the players it will be the last or second last chance. They need to live with the fact that they didn't step up to the plate on an important evening in their own careers.

Don't get me wrong, theres no getting away from how shite we were lastnight. I dont know how the players were affected by the fact that it was Ukraine and all that goes along with that atm. We can't ever know that I suppose, its a total intangible that likely will never exist again. 

I just dont see it as time to bin the manager off. The only way I would bin him is if Davie Moyes suddenly decided he fancied it. 

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I think Craig Gordon should have stayed nearer his goal line for the first goal and come further out on the 3rd goal. If those two things had happened we wouldn't have lost. 👀 

The aging curve is actually a cliff.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Don't get me wrong, theres no getting away from how shite we were lastnight. I dont know how the players were affected by the fact that it was Ukraine and all that goes along with that atm. We can't ever know that I suppose, its a total intangible that likely will never exist again. 

I just dont see it as time to bin the manager off. The only way I would bin him is if Davie Moyes suddenly decided he fancied it. 

I actually agree with you. Moyes would be an excellent replacement but he ain't coming anytime soon, so I'd probably persist with Clarke but he seems so stubborn that I don't see him learning anything from his errors.