Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

2 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Think we're pretty lucky they didn't bring that Mudryk guy on 20 mins earlier... he looked like a 16 year old playing against his wee brothers.

Was that the blonde headed boy?  I think it was him that played that outside of the foot pass through the middle of our defense that McGregor just got back in time to nick off the strikers toe.  He looked excellent.

Edited by KnightswoodVanBear

Just now, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Was that the blonde headed boy?  I think it was him that played that outside of the foot pass through the middle of our defense that McGregor just got back in time to nick off the strikers towe.  He looked excellent.

That's him. Every time he got the ball he waltzed past a couple and kept the ball. Looked a total baller

2 minutes ago, Binos said:

They're average mate

No amount of pretending will make it otherwise 

They're also miles better than us.  Every one of their outfield players would oust our players out of their place in our starting 11.

Just now, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

That's him. Every time he got the ball he waltzed past a couple and kept the ball. Looked a total baller

I wasn't totally paying attention when he came on, but I think I heard Crocker saying he's the next big thing in Ukrainian football. 

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

Half time they did the usual man of the match stuff, then offered you a vote for "lion of the match" which was the best Ukrainian player. Think all votes proceeds went to charity but still, its a fucking important game, and a lot of people seemed to forget that in the run up.

Know who didn't forget it? Ukraine.

This was bizarre, also just as the atmosphere was building before the game we got a video on the big screen about child refugees. We all watch the news. Anyway f**k Qatar, who wants to play football in a desert, roll on the euros.

Yarmo - 45 international goals. 15 more than Dennis Law/Kenny Dalglish and I would imagine more than our current squad put together.
Zinchenko - A midfielder converted to a left back by Pep. Plays every game for Ukraine in midfield.
Malinovsky - Yes, the Atalanta lad. A pair of eyes would be be enough to see how much more ability he has than McGinn, McGregor, Gilmour and so on. 
Yeremchuk - Operating at the latter stages of the Champions League. Our strikers play for Southampton and Queen's Park Rangers.
We can all spin it how we want ultimately you only needed to watch the game last night to see a huge difference in technical ability.

But you could perform the same analysis of Denmark's key men and easily conclude their superiority... yet we beat them and beat them well.

We are capable of much, much better than last night, and that's the biggest disappointment.

9 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Some emotion and an apology is the least that we should expect after that gutless debacle.

He didn't tell us what he said to the players in the dressing room.

I suspect that he blamed individual mistakes rather than his predictable tactics.

Again, people show emotion in different ways. Are you one of the folk who cry when players dare to smile after a defeat?

I asked about what he said in the dressing room as we don't know. He could have went absolutely through them for all we know.

9 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

In the past after defeats like this we've often heard comments about how these teams are 'technically better', and I've often wondered what people really meant by that. Well in the last 10 minutes tonight I saw the best example I've ever seen of that. We continually mis-controlled the ball, mis-placed basic passes and were unable to put 2 or 3 passes together to create some space for a shot or even a cross. We couldn't build any sustained pressure because after the first phase the ball woukd either be out of play or we'd give it away.

Ukraine on the other hand pinged passes round us all night and looked so comfortable on the ball. I completely agree that Clarke is largely at fault tonight but we are still seriously lacking in ability.

So many of our passes were poor. Overhit, floated, not accurate enough; it was a hard watch throughout the game. There were also poor touches, like when McTominay tried to dribble the ball first half and ended up trying to claim for a foul as the ball got away from him. Then of course there were the smashed long balls to no one. That's just embarrassing to see.

Then we have guys who are so ridiculously one footed. Robertson is a prime example. He had a chance second half to shoot just inside the box, but it was on his right so he actually tried to execute a massive turn to get it on to his left.

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

Still not over those fucking corners last night. Outswinging floated balls to the far post when it was quite clear their keeper was petrified of the ball.

Aw, so frustrating! I hate those sort of corners! 

Edited by DA Baracus

I think the last time most of us saw Ukraine play would have been summer 2021, when England gubbed them 4-0 in Rome in one of the most one sided European Championship Quarter Finals you’ll ever see. I think we were right to be optimistic for this draw based on that match, they were utterly honking. Eight of their starting 11 from that game started against us last night.
The defeat itself wasn’t much of a surprise, but I don’t think even the most pessimistic of us expected to be completely outclassed, which is what happened.
We conceded three goals and our best player was our goalkeeper, that tells you exactly how the night went. You can see now why Ukraine were so delighted to get us in the draw.
That’s three huge games in the last 12 months that have followed a similar pattern - Croatia, Czech Republic and Ukraine. Three winnable home games against mid ranking European opposition and the biggest three games at Hampden we’ve had this century. Deservedly humped every time.
Doesn’t give you much cause for optimism moving forward.
We will qualify for the Euros most of the time - 24 out of the 55 UEFA nations do, it’s tricky for a footballing country of our size not to make it. Beyond that it’s hard to see us getting past the first stage or to a World Cup in the foreseeable future. We’re just not good enough.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

But you could perform the same analysis of Denmark's key men and easily concluded their superiority... yet we beat them and beat them well.

A Denmark team with no Hojbjerg, Delaney, Poulsen or Damsgaard (not including Eriksen who wasn't back to fitness by then) in a dead rubber game. You seen what Denmark done with us when the game mattered and with those names included. They were also a country mile in front of us.

This constant clamber for excuses by some is just utterly embarrassing. It's fine to admit when you are beaten by a better team as was proven last night. 

5 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Thats not even remotely close to being true

Well, it is, but ok, brother.

Edit - Actually, I'll give you Robertson.  The other 9 would get ousted for their Ukrainian counterpart.

Edited by TheScarf

8 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

You don't think Robertson or Tierney or mctominay or mcginn would get in their team?

Even gordon was miles better than their keeper.

Zinchenko would probably start for them ahead of Tierney in the LWB role, the other 2, no chance.

Edit - I specifically said outfield players as their goalkeeper is fucking shite.  So that's Gordon and Robertson would keep their place.

Edited by TheScarf

14 minutes ago, Neilly said:

A Denmark team with no Hojbjerg, Delaney, Poulsen or Damsgaard (not including Eriksen who wasn't back to fitness by then) in a dead rubber game. You seen what Denmark done with us when the game mattered and with those names included. They were also a country mile in front of us.

Yep, it's truly baffling to see anyone take that performance and result as applicable to a WC play-off. 

Edited by vikingTON