Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

It highlights what a disaster it was that Clarke's Scotland completely fucked the last Nation's group for the WC back up opportunity

I'm not sure what you mean, here. We earned a better playoff opportunity through the qualifiers.

We were fucking grim.  The inability to trap a 10-15 yard pass from some of our players is an absolute embarrassment.  Apart from Danny Mullen I don't think I've ever disliked a striker as much as Dykes.  Big stupid baldy c**t.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Agree with you on the ralston comment. However, my only moan about hickey is that he refused call ups to the 21s so he obviously thought he was too big time for it.

Or he didn't want to travel across Europe to have Scott Gemmill roaring at him to "launch it" for 90 minutes.

8 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

It highlights what a disaster it was that Clarke's Scotland completely fucked the last Nation's group for the WC back up opportunity.

Your "non-football pals" would probably have a better grasp of how this whole thing worked than you do. We could have won all our Nations League games 1000-0 and we'd still have been playing Ukraine at Hampden last night.

Edited by craigkillie

38 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Aye the lads out there never tried right enough. What absolute toffee such a lazy view.

The usual mass hysteria will ensue and likely Robertson made a scapegoat but let's be honest apart from possibly McGregor not one outfield player turned up last night. It wasn't for lack of trying they were all just utterly honking technically and tactically.

Clarke will get a bit of the blame but he made a change at half time that anyone watching the game would call for - Christie or Armstrong for a striker to plug the midfield gaps by dropping in. Within a minute or so we are 2-0 down due to dog shit defending and the manager can't legislate for that. Two of our lads out muscled by one of theirs, basic stuff.

You can go on about X,Y and Z until the coos come hame but ultimately we were a mile off it and the best team by an absolute mile won the game. Their four players of real quality turned up and put on a clinic (Yarmo, Zinchenko, Malinovsky, Yeremchuk) and we just didn't have an answer. We go on about all our great midfield options but really none of what we have are on the level of Zinchenko or Malinovsky and that was brutally exposed last night.

(Yarmo - west ham reserve, Zinchenko - a left back played in midfield, Malinovsky - is that the atalanta lad?, Yeremchuk - barely scoring lately in an awful season for benfica)

We were played off park, Yes Ukraine are better than us like Czech and Croatia but they are not great teams, just wish we had shown more fight, Gordon, McGregor and Adams only ones with pass marks for me. It was the right result on a sporting and human level.

Clarke got a lot wrong, Dykes looked unfit, could have been out of sight before we scored and the inevitable hopes being dashed.

On Ross Stewart, 26 goals last season, Yes league one you might say but surely better bringing him on for the last 5 minutes than playing Hanley as a c.f..

People default far too easily to the 'lack of passion' / 'not trying' type arguments.  They're daft because it's hardly ever the case, and it wasn't last night.

However, we did get a really meek and timid display.  I think it's fair to blame the selection and set up to a degree.  It's not all on Clarke though.  For whatever reason, far too many individuals had lousy games.  Touch, movement and passing were all badly lacking, particularly in a midfield that was overrun as much for these reasons, as for there probably being too few of them in there for the first half.

I think we also got reminders of the real limitations of players like Dykes and Hanley, who'd maybe allowed some of us to forget.  We also got shown that Gilmour is still a long way from being the world beater we'd like him to be. 

Maybe that tremendous run towards the end of the qualifiers needs a reappraisal.  We were great against Denmark and played well in squeezing out a win in Vienna.  Lots of the rest was poor though and we rode our luck in certain games.

Ukraine are no great shakes, but we allowed them to look terrific last night.  

These upcoming Nations League games are actually hugely important, but I can hardly be arsed with them right now.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

One of the things I just couldn't understand last night was that their keeper showed he looked like he would flap at absolutely everything that came near him, but I don't remember us once trying to put one of our corners anywhere near him.

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

😀

Wait...what the f**k was this????

Half time they did the usual man of the match stuff, then offered you a vote for "lion of the match" which was the best Ukrainian player. Think all votes proceeds went to charity but still, its a fucking important game, and a lot of people seemed to forget that in the run up.

Know who didn't forget it? Ukraine.

Took up a ticket from a friend who was going on holiday. Last game I was at was a defeat to Russia. I take the blame for being a Jonah but maybe the manager and the players did their bit as well. Playoffs have not been good for me for over a decade so I should not be surprised. 

1 minute ago, forameus said:

Half time they did the usual man of the match stuff, then offered you a vote for "lion of the match" which was the best Ukrainian player. Think all votes proceeds went to charity but still, its a fucking important game, and a lot of people seemed to forget that in the run up.

Know who didn't forget it? Ukraine.

😄

That is peak Scotland fannery. f**k me.

13 minutes ago, Binos said:

(Yarmo - west ham reserve, Zinchenko - a left back played in midfield, Malinovsky - is that the atalanta lad?, Yeremchuk - barely scoring lately in an awful season for benfica)

Yarmo - 45 international goals. 15 more than Dennis Law/Kenny Dalglish and I would imagine more than our current squad put together.

Zinchenko - A midfielder converted to a left back by Pep. Plays every game for Ukraine in midfield.

Malinovsky - Yes, the Atalanta lad. A pair of eyes would be be enough to see how much more ability he has than McGinn, McGregor, Gilmour and so on. 

Yeremchuk - Operating at the latter stages of the Champions League. Our strikers play for Southampton and Queen's Park Rangers.

We can all spin it how we want ultimately you only needed to watch the game last night to see a huge difference in technical ability.

Edited by Neilly

10 hours ago, latapythelegend said:

f**k up. It's the fucking soft attitude that gets us nowhere. You seem to embrace it.

You're actually doubling down on your opinion that "the tone" that contributed to the loss was because the likes of Leckie and Souness wanted Ukraine to win.

I'd suggest you find some new sources. Souness has been an irrelevance for years. Leckie was never relevant.

We were beaten by a better team. Too many players weren't as good as they have been recently.

On top of that, Scotland have improved, but they've also had favourable draws and a fair bit of luck.

The result had hee haw to do with anyone wanting Ukraine to win.

1 minute ago, Neilly said:

Yarmo - 45 international goals. 15 more than Dennis Law and I would imagine more than our current squad put together.

Zinchenko - A midfielder converted to a left back by Pep. Plays every game for Ukraine in midfield.

Malinovsky - Yes, the Atalanta lad. A pair of eyes would be be enough to see how much more ability he has than McGinn, McGregor, Gilmour and so on. 

Yeremchuk - Operating at the latter stages of the Champions League. Our strikers play for Southampton and Queen's Park Rangers.

We can all spin it how we want ultimately you only needed to watch the game last night to see a huge difference in technical ability.

They're average mate

No amount of pretending will make it otherwise 

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So despite our successful pressing game, their centre backs had loads of time with the ball at their feet?

Ok.

When did I say it was successful? It was fucking appalling.