Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

honestly crocker is a fucking cancer of Scottish football commentary, what does it take to remove this monotone w****r?
Many (many) hugely disappointing things about last night well covered, but given our propensity to disappoint, how DO we get rid of this balloon? His breathless attempts to best capture our frequent crushing disappointments have gone on far too long.

(Nearly) anyone else please.

A bit of a let-down in all aspects I felt. Atmosphere felt flat, the team were flat, just a bit shit all round. Ukraine clearly carried a threat offensively but despite romping us for the best part of 90 minutes I felt they had at least as many defensive howlers as we did. If we’d been any semblance of competent we could have made it a bit difficult for them. Instead, very few of our “big” players showed up for more than short spells. Felt like a friendly at times. That McGinn miss was diabolical tbh. Obviously McGinn is the fan and media darling but he was shocking last night. 

My comments from last night

Mctominay can’t play defence anymore. He looks lost. I would be playing John soutar here. He is also decent on the ball which was the main reason mctominay was out there

Robertson was not as bad as being made out. However, he missed tierney in beside him. Without KT, Robertson gets exposed defensively

Hickey was poor. People will say “aye but he is young”. However, he refused call ups to the 21s because he was too big time so has to accept the criticism

Dykes and adams don’t work up front. When dykes is in the team, we seem to resort to hitting long balls to him. On paper, we have decent footballers so I don’t understand why we were unable to string two passes together. I hate it when we become a team who hit long balls and try and nick a goal from a set piece.

Adams was poor last night. I would rather see armstrong or Christie as the other attacker. We were overran in midfield. Frustrating as we have seen before adams and dykes doesn’t work but Clarke still went ahead with it.

Mcginn was also rotten, compounded by that miss which will haunt him.

Defence was also over the place. Midfield was non existent. Gilmour had very little impact. Whenever he got the ball he had no option to pass forward.

Clarke’s stubbornness can be very frustrating. He was away to bring in John soutar with 5 minutes to go which seemed very bizarre. He refused to change the shape or formation even when we were chasing the game

Overall, ukraine were much better, however, it is pretty annoying as we didn’t even lay a glove on them. Went out with a total whimper and that is the one of the worst performances I have seen for a while.

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

My comments from last night

Mctominay can’t play defence anymore. He looks lost. I would be playing John soutar here. He is also decent on the ball which was the main reason mctominay was out there

Robertson was not as bad as being made out. However, he missed tierney in beside him. Without KT, Robertson gets exposed defensively

Hickey was poor. People will say “aye but he is young”. However, he refused call ups to the 21s because he was too big time so has to accept the criticism

Dykes and adams don’t work up front. When dykes is in the team, we seem to resort to hitting long balls to him. On paper, we have decent footballers so I don’t understand why we were unable to string two passes together. I hate it when we become a team who hit long balls and try and nick a goal from a set piece.

Adams was poor last night. I would rather see armstrong or Christie as the other attacker. We were overran in midfield. Frustrating as we have seen before adams and dykes doesn’t work but Clarke still went ahead with it.

Mcginn was also rotten, compounded by that miss which will haunt him.

Defence was also over the place. Midfield was non existent. Gilmour had very little impact. Whenever he got the ball he had no option to pass forward.

Clarke’s stubbornness can be very frustrating. He was away to bring in John soutar with 5 minutes to go which seemed very bizarre. He refused to change the shape or formation even when we were chasing the game

Overall, ukraine were much better, however, it is pretty annoying as we didn’t even lay a glove on them. Went out with a total whimper and that is the one of the worst performances I have seen for a while.

Agree with all of that. However, if we had Tierney and Paterson we'd still be chasing shadows due to Ukraine being set up perfectly against our 352. Constantly finding space wide and in front of our back 3 was always a bad sign. That is on Clarke, as much as I've backed him before, he's got it all wrong and it showed almost straight away.

Agree with all of that. However, if we had Tierney and Paterson we'd still be chasing shadows due to Ukraine being set up perfectly against our 352. Constantly finding space wide and in front of our back 3 was always a bad sign. That is on Clarke, as much as I've backed him before, he's got it all wrong and it showed almost straight away.

Aye for sure. Whilst the players were shite, the tactics fucked us. As mentioned, he is so stubborn that he refused to change it, even when it was clear we were being pumped

watching the full match replay of Wales against Poland there, every Wales player on their toes sharp and committed

i don't know what the f**k happened to us last night, like we were half comatose and dragging tyres around

Edited by Glennie

6 hours ago, Menzel said:

Started playing after going two down. Thoroughly depressing

I can't say I really spotted the "started playing" part.

We had a brief spell of 'up and at em' pressure, but even during that, there were chances for a Ukrainian third.

We had virtually no football in us at all last night.

Not as gutted as I ought to be, I think because we were played off the park - there were no might-have-beens. Would have been nice to have pressurised their comedy keeper a bit more, or even make him save the odd shot.

Atmosphere was great until they scored, and went flat after the second. Picked up again during that brief, frantic flurry when the team woke up.

Loving this idea that's appeared that we'd suddenly have turned great if Ralston was on the pitch. Absolutely zero surprise that Scotland fans are turning on the young player making his debut.

As someone who's watched an entire season of a stubborn manager blindly back a system that only works with specific players against specific tactics, that game last night was incredibly fucking familiar, and it wouldn't have mattered who we picked.

9 minutes ago, Glennie said:

watching the full match replay of Wales against Poland there, every Wales player on their toes sharp and committed

i don't know what the f**k happened to us last night, like we were half comatose and dragging tyres around

That's the small crumb for me from last night. As bad as it felt, it would've been much worse losing to the Welsh, which I think would've been more likely than not.

3 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Not as gutted as I ought to be, I think because we were played off the park - there were no might-have-beens.

Yip, I was thinking about this last night, asking myself whether I'd have preferred a strong performance from us, resulting in an unlucky defeat, or a shambles like we got.

Obviously, a very good performance would have offered more long term  encouragement, but at least there was no 'emotional roller coaster' element to last night, leaving us drained and devastated.  Instead, we were awful enough to just feel resigned.

Neither way of losing is fun, but the fact there's no sense of injustice might make it less haunting in months and years to come.

Loving this idea that's appeared that we'd suddenly have turned great if Ralston was on the pitch. Absolutely zero surprise that Scotland fans are turning on the young player making his debut.
As someone who's watched an entire season of a stubborn manager blindly back a system that only works with specific players against specific tactics, that game last night was incredibly fucking familiar, and it wouldn't have mattered who we picked.

Agree with you on the ralston comment. However, my only moan about hickey is that he refused call ups to the 21s so he obviously thought he was too big time for it.

5 hours ago, red23 said:

honestly crocker is a fucking cancer of Scottish football commentary, what does it take to remove this monotone w****r?

Sky don't have the rights to our games any more so at least there's that. Still doing the SPFL Premiership games I guess but hopefully Premier and then the Scandinavian Mob use Rory Hamilton or someone going forward. 

The only team Crocker wants to win is Rangers.

Edit - For Scotland games I think he tries to stay neutral because of how the English commentators act during their games, but he ends up going the other way and he actually sounded happy when Ukraine made it 2-0.

Edited by TheScarf

59 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Also, I definitely underrated zinchenko. He was different gravy last night and we couldn’t get close to him

That's cause he was playing in a hole between our defence and midfield 

That we left him to play in and then didn't react to close 

Not first time in big games Clarke been completely tactically out manouvered, then barely reacted

Edited by Binos

Not one player with pass marks from me last night.

System totally, totally wrong and it was obvious very early on, yet we persevered for the full half with it. 

Felt we were better  when we moved McTominay into the center and tried to play with the ball on the deck, but Ukraine played with an urgency, commitment and desire that we never even looked like matching. We were slow with and without the ball.