Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

Throughout most of my time as a Scotland fan i've routinely watched us play against other countries and wondered why they were just on a different level technically to us, why we just didn't have players who could control and pass a ball the way they could. Recently that's faded away, with us having players like Gilmour, Tierney, McGregor, McTominay etc who looked technically good and comfortable on the ball - we've played some decent stuff recently, we played Denmark off the park at times and knocked it about against a team that went on to reach the final of the Euros. Tonight felt like a throwback to the times where we just looked miles off the level, where we were back wondering why other countries can just produce better technical players than us, and are just seemingly on a different level to us. 
I know that we still have the players, but tonight was a right boot in the baws. Naively thought this Scotland squad had broken the shackles a bit and we'd moved beyond *that* type of performance. Although, as scunnered as i am - we were beaten by a team who were quite clearly better than us, who we just didn't deserve to beat.
Pretty much this. Hard to cling on to the notion of progress when you watch us more or less repeat our failures of nearly 1 year ago

4 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Wrong. According to @Satoshi he’s a faded force (ignore the last game he played for Wales where he absolutely fucking ragdolled Austria). 

Have you not been following his club career? Or do you really think he's as good as he ever was?

Just finished watching the replay of the game there (couldn't watch live due to timezone).

Disappointing performance but Ukraine does have 44m vs our 5m so you would generally expect them to be better (notwithstanding their current situation). Still, a home game in a playoff is a good chance, and a chance missed.

Getting to the playoffs is certainly a good outcome from WCQ, and we had some fantastic results along the way including beating Denmark.

Overall, a positive campaign and maybe in future the stars will align and we will qualify for the WC again. It will be tough as a small nation in the European qualification section but we might do it every 20/30 years or so. Until then it will be the Euros for us.

I hope, and expect, Ukraine will beat Wales. Good luck to them.

That could have been 4 or 5. It was embarrassing to the point that my usual non-footballing pals thought we were 'doing the favour'.

It highlights what a disaster it was that Clarke's Scotland completely fucked the last Nation's group for the WC back up opportunity. 

Insipid performance with the scoreline kept down by Gordon. Really poor.

16 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Disappointing performance but Ukraine does have 44m vs our 5m so you would generally expect them to be better

We're long overdue another debate on this issue.

Somebody wake up Supras.

55 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sigh. At least there wasn't the usual 'hard luck story'.

We were treated to the classic "well, Scotland always have to do it the hard way" when we went 2-0 down.

I really fucking hate that cliché, as it implies that we have a history of going behind in critical games before coming back and achieving our goal. In reality, we just have a history of going behind in critical games.

Ukraine coach had clearly watched us against Croatia at the Euros: knew exactly how to beat us and it could and should have been more.

Clarke, on that evidence, has erased all memories of last summer. Incredible that he picked that team against that opposition; incredible to persist with a back three without Tierney; and beyond incredible to stand there for so long before changing it.

Players were awful (Gordon and maybe McGregor aside), but we were set up to fail. Why then are we surprised when we fail?

Shambles of a game.

Why start with Hickey at right back when his right foot is clearly just for standing on. Why not give Ralston a start who is a natural right back and has turned his career around this season. The guy clearly thinks he can make the step up with knocking back 21s call ups but if you do that you need to back it up. He certainly did not do that tonight.

McTominay at centre half don’t get me started. Mad to think this guy earns almost 100k a week as a footballer and can’t even do the basics. He tries to make out that he is taking the game by scruff of the neck, but in reality he is only demanding the ball when he is in safe areas. The defending for that first goal was absolutely shambolic and the VAR claims from Scotland was just sheer embarrassing when Yarmolenko was blatantly miles onside.

McGinn was miles off it tonight and that miss looks even worse on TV than it did live. The midfield seemed totally disconnected tonight.

Gilmour had a poor game but at least he was trying to get on the ball still even when he wasn’t having a good game, at least has the balls to keep going.

McGregor started off poorly but ended up having an excellent game.

Liam Cooper in over John Souttar? LOL.

Andy Robertson is too busy celebrating losing a league and champions league and more interested in having a few scoops listening to Calvin Harris than leading by example. Even if it was ‘just a few’ is it really appropriate celebrating a Carabao fucking cup win so close to one of the biggest international ties we have had in years, especially when the guy is a fucking captain. Played like he definitely had more than 4 beers on Sunday like he claims. Woeful.

The most annoying thing about tonight is that we literally passed Denmark off the pitch at Hampden not long ago and played some amazing stuff, granted it wasn’t there full team but we have had arguably the most talented squad at our disposal in years and the tactics are to lump long balls to Lyndon Dykes.

Ukraine looked nervous when we pressed them and their keeper wasn’t great, yet we sat off them and let them play FIFA style football for large parts of the game.

I would much rather we went for a style of football against Denmark and lose than be served up with that assault on my eyes for 90 minutes I got tonight. Clarke clearly learned nothing from the Croatia game.

On the whole I think only Gordon, McGregor, Christie and Dykes came out with pass marks tonight. Dykes was doing the job that was asked of him and showed nice footwork but got hooked for some reason. Che Adam’s just seems like he tries far too hard whenever he pulls on a Scotland jersey as if he has something to prove.

At least Grant Hanley at centre forward gave me a laugh for the last few minutes.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

It highlights what a disaster it was that Clarke's Scotland completely fucked the last Nation's group for the WC back up opportunity. 

That would only have guaranteed us an away play-off, we ended up in a better position. 

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Had a quick read of the initial match report on the BBC website and it reads like Ukraine are the home nation. Utterly pathetic. 

I wonder if Wales will roll out the red carpet for them as much 

Hi Vlad. 

I thought Robbo was one of the few who played well today. Constantly trying to attack and make something happen. He and Hickey were both isolated when attacking though. Hickey looked like a wee boy at times, but started to come on to a game with about 20mins to go. He and McTominay are not a partnership I want to see again though. McT looked like an absolute carthorse at times.

The tactic of throwing it up to Dykes was an absolute embarrassment. I'm actually in a bit of shock after that as I haven't seen us dominated in such a way since we got pumped by Belgium. 

Clark is a fine coach, but he's shown himself to be a pretty shoddy tactician at times.

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Very disappointing performances all round, regularly making the wrong decisions at key moments. Never managed to get the tactics right, and Steve Clarke's warlock powers weren't enough to do more than stop Ukraine scoring more of their chances when we were sluggish at the back. But, it was still a better performance than some of the poorer ones from the start of Clarke's reign, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the extraordinary occasion might have caused the team to regress. I guess we'll see if the hangover bleeds into the Nations League games.

Despite how we made them look tonight, I still maintain Ukraine are a pretty mediocre side, and Wales ought to beat them.

I think last year's Euros finals showed that.