Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

Well, at least it wasn't Wales...

I'd honestly like to know what the plan was there. If they played to the gameplan, then I can only assume they were told to be incredibly passive and essentially wait until Ukraine made mistakes. Then make a vague forward pass to either Dykes head, or for Adams/McGinn to fall over. Absolute shitebag behaviour from pretty much everyone on the pitch, and Ukraine must've felt like all their Christmases came at once. Its hard to say just how bad we were without feeling like I'm being harsh on Ukraine. They were great, or at the very least, just as good as they needed to be to beat us. They probably should have gotten at least another couple. 

All in all, this felt like a game we'd never win. All the talk in the build up with everyone going lol mawkish and competing to see who could come up with the most fawning take, all summed up at half time, while we're 1-0 down and struggling, being asked to vote for "lion of the match" from the opposition, who are about to put you out the world cup. It summed up the atmosphere around the game, and indeed the attitude and performance. Ukraine, on the other hand, didn't need or want our pity. They'd just rather go out and kick f**k out of us on the pitch. 

Good luck to them. I hope they pump Wales.

Treated it like a friendly match. Ukraine took the fucking pish out us. We made them look like Pep’s Barca side. There was a wee spell about the 65 minute mark we got in about it and played to our strengths, but out-with that, it was an extremely underwhelming performance. 3-1 flattered us. Ukraine could have had as many as they wanted. They created plenty of clear cut opportunities. Gordon made some really good saves throughout the match.

No idea what our tactics were, if there were any. Was as if they were told not to try and just let Ukraine win. I’m perplexed at the amount of space we gifted them. It wasn’t the Spain side that won the 2010 World Cup we were playing ffs, but we made them look like it.

In the past after defeats like this we've often heard comments about how these teams are 'technically better', and I've often wondered what people really meant by that. Well in the last 10 minutes tonight I saw the best example I've ever seen of that. We continually mis-controlled the ball, mis-placed basic passes and were unable to put 2 or 3 passes together to create some space for a shot or even a cross. We couldn't build any sustained pressure because after the first phase the ball woukd either be out of play or we'd give it away.

Ukraine on the other hand pinged passes round us all night and looked so comfortable on the ball. I completely agree that Clarke is largely at fault tonight but we are still seriously lacking in ability.

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

Treated it like a friendly match. Ukraine took the fucking pish out us. We made them look like Pep’s Barca side. There was a wee spell about the 65 minute mark we got in about it and played to our strengths, but out-with that, it was an extremely underwhelming performance. 3-1 flattered us. Ukraine could have had as many as they wanted. They created plenty of clear cut opportunities.

No idea what our tactics were, if there were any. Was as if they were told not to try and just let Ukraine win.

Aye, I think we shaded the first 3 minutes, then Ukraine had a bit of a wobble around the hour mark where they started playing like they were us and misplacing passes. I wondered if they'd just hit an emotional wall and would tire, but after riding out us trying to doorknob shag them, they reasserted and never really looked troubled. Even when we scored it never really looked like we would scam a 2nd.

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

Treated it like a friendly match. Ukraine took the fucking pish out us. We made them look like Pep’s Barca side. There was a wee spell about the 65 minute mark we got in about it and played to our strengths, but out-with that, it was an extremely underwhelming performance. 3-1 flattered us. Ukraine could have had as many as they wanted. They created plenty of clear cut opportunities.

No idea what our tactics were, if there were any. Was as if they were told not to try and just let Ukraine win.

That’s what I was saying too. Everyone appeared to be on holiday and treating it like a friendly.

Ukraine we’re not particularly good but they grew in confidence when they saw we couldn’t be arsed.

Not one player got pass marks from me. Everyone of them should be embarrassed by that performance. I could have assembled a P&B select that would have beaten Scotland tonight.

They have basked in the glory of the last 10-12 months. Now they must accept the stick that they will rightly get after tonight. Each and everyone of them was fucking hopeless. 

17 minutes ago, forameus said:

I'd honestly like to know what the plan was there. If they played to the gameplan, then I can only assume they were told to be incredibly passive and essentially wait until Ukraine made mistakes.

I think in the pre match interviews Callum McGregor mentioned being controlled and patient in the initial phases of the game and not lose a goal so in that sense I could see why it might look passive.

Steve Clarke said in his post match interview that they were expecting to get our ball players (McGregor, Gilmour) more involved in the game to help us gain a control of the match but Ukraine's tactics made that quite difficult before going on to suggest Scotland were playing the long game with Ukraine as they expected them to tire later in the game.

It's not an unreasonable plan I wouldn't say (obviously terrible in hindsight). Clearly it didn't work as planned but I think the hints to the original game plan are out there if you want to look for them. 

Edited by 2426255

Aye I was calling McGinn a tattie heided impostor fir much of the game. The worst effort I've seen from him since his disappearing act against Russia at Hampden.

I thought they looked infinitely fresher than us. I out that down to the majority of their players having had a couple of months to prepare and train for this game. That's being generous.

Their coach had our number. Our full backs were isolated (save for the three or four Ukrainians surrounding them) and our midfield looked collectively powder puff. 

Probably the least competitive performance I've seen from us since Belgium.

34 minutes ago, Brian Graham’s Lovely Hair said:

Scotland are a good football team. Ukraine are better. 

Didn’t play like one. In fact, could barely string a pass together.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

Probably the least competitive performance I've seen from us since Belgium.

Try Croatia or possibly Denmark away - these are pretty good teams

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Had a quick read of the initial match report on the BBC website and it reads like Ukraine are the home nation. Utterly pathetic. 

I wonder if Wales will roll out the red carpet for them as much as we have done? 

Doesn't matter...Wales are better than us.

Didn’t expect Scotland to underperform like that. Fairly comfortable in the end for Ukraine. Was a class day meeting up with old friends and new. Thought Ukraine set up perfectly and managed the game well. Buschan a bomb scare  as always but Zinchenko, Ysrmolenko and Karavyev were superb.

2 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Didn’t expect Scotland to underperform like that. Fairly comfortable in the end for Ukraine. Was a class day meeting up with old friends and new. Thought Ukraine set up perfectly and managed the game well. Buschan a bomb scare  as always but Zinchenko, Ysrmolenko and Karavyev were superb.

I thought Petrakov had fallen out with Karavaev after his mistakes in the 2-2 draw with Kazakhstan? 

Edited by 2426255

Better, more accurate, team won. Scotland's final ball, & finishing, was woeful.
Lucky with the goal they got, as it looked like they could play til the next WC without scoring!

Throughout most of my time as a Scotland fan i've routinely watched us play against other countries and wondered why they were just on a different level technically to us, why we just didn't have players who could control and pass a ball the way they could. Recently that's faded away, with us having players like Gilmour, Tierney, McGregor, McTominay etc who looked technically good and comfortable on the ball - we've played some decent stuff recently, we played Denmark off the park at times and knocked it about against a team that went on to reach the final of the Euros. Tonight felt like a throwback to the times where we just looked miles off the level, where we were back wondering why other countries can just produce better technical players than us, and are just seemingly on a different level to us. 

I know that we still have the players, but tonight was a right boot in the baws. Naively thought this Scotland squad had broken the shackles a bit and we'd moved beyond *that* type of performance. Although, as scunnered as i am - we were beaten by a team who were quite clearly better than us, who we just didn't deserve to beat.