Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

Sorry, by overload I mean overloading in terms of giving McGregor and Gilmour too much to do. In terms of both had to cover out wide and in the middle  while McGinn played too far forward.

Fair enough

Confirms two up front was a mistake ?!

Could McTominay not move up at times to help ?

43 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

We won 6 games on the bounce playing this way. It clearly didn't work tonight. Ukraine's game plan was to make us press them then hit us over the top and it worked time and time again, and we done absolutely nothing about it. I love Steve Clarke but he didn't have any answers tonight. After 15 minutes it was obvious that Hickey was being rinsed and we were fucking hopeless in midfield. McTominay should have been in midfield after 20 mins and we should have went 4-5-1. f**k knows why we left it so long to change it. We could have lost that 8-1 tonight. 

No we didnt.

The last time we played McGinn as far forward as tonight was against Czech in the Euros. Which didnt work.

Cant recall the last time Adams and Dykes played together, but they are both infinitely poorer together than with a Christie or Fraser dropping off them.

The best thing weve done since the Euros is change the way our midfield play. It worked brilliantly against Denmark. Tonight Clarke took a step backwards.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye, everyone has to react to things in the exact same manner and everyone has to show emotion in the exact same manner. There must be no deviation.

What did Clarke say to the players in the dressing room after the game incidentally? 

Some emotion and an apology is the least that we should expect after that gutless debacle.

He didn't tell us what he said to the players in the dressing room.

I suspect that he blamed individual mistakes rather than his predictable tactics.

Guest Jedi

For all the media chat around 'these guys have only played a couple of friendlies, haven't played competitive football for months' etc...what about the fact that the squad contains players from Man City, Everton, West Ham, Real Madrid, Benfica, Atalanta etc? Think we were lulled into this 'they aren't match sharp' mindset, when most of their players had played a full season at a high level.

This is also a side which were undefeated in qualifiers including 2 games against France, and when all that is added together is that a side that Scotland should be expecting to just kind of turn up to beat?

34 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

Nah it was obvious. They literally sat with their centre backs with the ball at their feet on the 6 yard line while their forwards went 3v3 against our centre halfs. As soon as our midfield moved forward they hit the big striker and, as our midfield never tracks runners, were 4 or 5 on 3 numerous times. 

So despite our successful pressing game, their centre backs had loads of time with the ball at their feet?

Ok.

22 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The Ukrainian team are staying in my hotel. Every one of the rude c***s just walked past me without apologising for ruining my night. Selfish arseholes.

Scotland were also very bad at the football. Very, very bad.

Hit the fire alarm at 3am

For all the media chat around 'these guys have only played a couple of friendlies, haven't played competitive football for months' etc...what about the fact that the squad contains players from Man City, Everton, West Ham, Real Madrid, Benfica, Atalanta etc? Think we were lulled into this 'they aren't match sharp' mindset, when most of their players had played a full season at a high level.
This is also a side which were undefeated in qualifiers including 2 games against France, and when all that is added together is that a side that Scotland should be expecting to just kind of turn up to beat?
It has echoes of the "Croatia are an ageing side" speil, sadly

28 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The Ukrainian team are staying in my hotel. Every one of the rude c***s just walked past me without apologising for ruining my night. Selfish arseholes.

Scotland were also very bad at the football. Very, very bad.

My lady friend swims there....she said they were VERY tall.

No shit.😒 

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Zinchenko, a LB for Man City is a far better midfielder than anyone in our lot.

Midfield is Zinchenko's natural and best position. He has played LB because Man City have not signed a decent back-up in recent years.

Benjamin Mendy has just been charged with another rape (9th?) and will be tried next month. City will need at least one LB in this window.

Zinchenko often stands out in a bad way for City, but surround him with worse players and he looks fucking excellent technically. Suppose that's what you get with Man City players but I was surprised. 

It was a disappointing night which can happen, but the team has done well for the most part through qualifying.

I don't think we are as good as many supporters think we are and when it come to Tournament football or Playoff games it can be a bit hit or miss: we can step up on big occasions, but we can also be outclassed, I think that lack of consistency tells us where we are as a footballing nation - Not bad, but still a bit to go yet. 

11 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:
18 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It has echoes of the "Croatia are an ageing side" speil, sadly

Whereas the fact that 'Scotland aren't very good' gets conveniently ignored. 

Well that was a fkn shambles from start to finish. Utterly fkn embarrassing from Scotland there can be no excuse for that performance tonight. Stood off them like it was a pre-season friendly and let them stroll about like they were Brazil 1970 fkn disgraceful for a wc semi playoff. 

Just back home from the game. Fucking hell we were awful. As soon as I heard we were playing 2 strikers I feared we would be swamped in midfield just as we were v Croatia in the Euros. 
Yet again I make a plea that we stop this fucking nonsense of playing McTominay as a central defender. He was absolutely awful tonight. 
Clarke got the team wrong tonight and it was clear very early on that the shape wasn’t working. We were fortunate the margin of defeat wasn’t greater.