Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

50 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

To a man/woman, when the team was announced, almost all agreed with the 2 up front.  Like Tom English on RS just now, the hindsight thing is brilliant.  Ukraine were technically superior to us tonight.  End of. 

I turned on for the anthems and was totally shocked to see two up front, so there's no hindsight from me.

Ukraine were miles better and fully deserved their win but the performance was abysmal from players and manager.

A total failure.

1 minute ago, Oystercatcher said:

Just home. I hate getting beat but getting beat when you haven't even tried is particularly galling.

We were second to everything tonight.

They shut us down quickly, played sharp one-twos ran at us, we were never in it. 

Humping high balls up to dykes is a tactic from the Neolithic age, get it to phuck 

First half

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Euros are alright, but you really want to be at a World Cup.

I turned 24 during the first one in my lifetime that we missed.  

We've only made one since.  

I've never watched us in any with my son and he'll be 20 by the next time that's possible.  It's grim.

You never will without some spectacular turnaround 

Few Somalians coming through maybe 

3 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

Just home. I hate getting beat but getting beat when you haven't even tried is particularly galling.

We were second to everything tonight.

They shut us down quickly, played sharp one-twos ran at us, we were never in it. 

Humping high balls up to dykes is a tactic from the Neolithic age, get it to phuck 

We obviously tried. We just weren’t very good at it.

8 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Before I go off on one, credit where it is due. Ukraine were miles better than us tonight and a well deserved win. Outclassed. Out thought. Out played. Out. Genuinely hope them and their fans have a good night. Hope they go on and pump Wales.

Now. Rant time.

We lost tonight because of one man. Steve Clarke. I can handle players performing below standard or outright shite. But we set up in a system with tactics that were never going to work, because theyve been proven not to work. We didnt play badly because of individual errors. We played badly because we trained and planned for a system that has ALWAYS made us play badly.

We won 6 games on the bounce playing this way. It clearly didn't work tonight. Ukraine's game plan was to make us press them then hit us over the top and it worked time and time again, and we done absolutely nothing about it. I love Steve Clarke but he didn't have any answers tonight. After 15 minutes it was obvious that Hickey was being rinsed and we were fucking hopeless in midfield. McTominay should have been in midfield after 20 mins and we should have went 4-5-1. f**k knows why we left it so long to change it. We could have lost that 8-1 tonight. 

Just now, Cardle is Magic said:

I turned on for the anthems and was totally shocked to see two up front, so there's no hindsight from me.

Ukraine were miles better and fully deserved their win but the performance was abysmal from players and manager.

A total failure.

I didn't even really see 2 up front in the first half. I saw balls for Dykes to flick on in the hope that somehow it would find Adams.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

To quote your own word, that 'depends'.  In my view, based on many appearances, he has neither the quality or the pace for international football.

It's absolutely incredible that he's only 30 - the tide turns quicker.

To quote your own word, that 'depends'.  In my view, based on many appearances, he has neither the quality or the pace for international football.
Quality is rightly debatable. Pace? He saved us on more than one occasion thanks to his pace tonight. His positioning wasn't always perfect, but that's a different dimension.

6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's absolutely incredible that he's only 30 - the tide turns quicker.

Wow that was bad… so many similarities to the Czech game in the Euros where we all sort of realised the 5 at the back system completely falls apart without Tierney but everyone moved on and forgave Clarke but lo and behold it happens again, shock horror. The first goal was so so depressing with a simple route 1 ball and that took all the sting out of the game for that half with the second goal sucking the life out of the ground again.

McGinn was dreadful and I know it’s usually hyperbole when people say it but Robertson was also awful. McTominay was a lost lamb in the back 3 looked slightly better in midfield but the damage is done by that point. Even Gilmour was well below par.

Got to feel for Hickey he looked bad but had been hung out to dry in that position given all he wanted to do was come in to his left foot and struggled with the defensive side of things. Let SOD never be criticised again.

Only McGregor and Gordon close to getting pass marks.

Bale will have a field day against that mob however I’d rather see them through than the leek munchers.

Not that it would have had any real impact on the result but how fucking bad was that ref? Got to feel he was feeling sorry for Ukraine and buying into the sympathy stuff will be interesting to see if Wales get the same treatment from the officiating team in Sunday’s game.

2 minutes ago, Coooombe said:

Ukraine's game plan was to make us press them then hit us over the top and it worked time and time again, and we done absolutely nothing about it. 

Not convinced by this.

To be honest, we really didn't press them very successfully.  Their first goal did come from a ball over the top, but it was allowed because pressing was absent.  The other goals (and numerous other chances) came from us being cut open by decent passing. 

We were the side launching aimless balls towards players without a touch.  

18 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

You are totally wrong about that but even if you were right at least put him on for the last 10 minutes to take corners and set pieces.

If I was wrong he would have been on the pitch tonight. He wasn't and I've yet to see anybody chomping at the bit to say he should have been.