Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

We will stick with tried and tested personnel and formation
Unfortunately without Tierney that formation doesn't work 
Tierney is a huge blow obviously but the formation absolutely can work without him. It will see Robertson get forward more and probably allow McGregor to get forward a bit more too as he doesn't have to cover as much.

For the right back slot, I'd personally like to see Hickey but Clarke will pick O'Donnell and is right to do so. He's been great in big games for Scotland, as has been mentioned he was good against Denmark and although only a friendly he played well when he came on agaisnt Poland, he's built up a good understanding with McGinn. In the future I'd hope to see Patterson or even Ramsey playing there regularly, but for now O'Donnell has earned his place on merit for Scotland, he's easily had more good than poor performances

46 minutes ago, Binos said:

Not having Tierney is obviously a blow, but I think we'll be fine. 

Would be more worried if Gilmour isnt fit to start since we dont have Jack as replacement.

With the squad as it is just now, I honestly think Gordon is the only one that is irreplaceable. Which is a shiter since he's about 74.

59 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They wouldn't even pick Ralston to start for their own club side.

Its back to the "he gets a game sometimes for Celtic/Rangers so he must be good enough for Scotland".

See people fuming Scott Wright isnt in the squad after playing about 4 games in a row.

7 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

But Wales qualify for tournaments and get out the group stages!

Er, maybe you should actually have a look at Wales vs. Scotland qualification record.

Or indeed their H2H record.

To say Scotland is dominating is a bit of an understatement (and that's more than fair enough, we are a much bigger country and they aren't that even bothered about football).

The fact they have recently had an okay record doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'd be surprised if Wales ever match Scotlands record of qualifying for 9 World Cups (competing at 8). It's far more likely they qualify once every 50 odd years (with Scotland qualifying more frequently, and going further).

7 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

It will be a strange one for me. I’m Scottish, but tomorrow I will be standing with the Ukrainians, some of whom I’ve been good friends with for the last 11 years. As for the game, deep down in my heart and in my head, Scotland should win. Home advantage will be huge but I think Scotland should Be winning this. I don’t feel as much connection to the national team as I do Clyde, indeed tomorrow will only be the second Scotland game I’ve ever been to.

Tomorrow will be emotional for me as I have numerous friends who in Ukraine have been displaced, and in one example, killed. I won’t have any complaints regardless who wins. I understand every Scottish viewpoint in the last 10 or so pages of this thread, and please believe me, no Ukrainian wants any excuse or sympathy. If Scotland wins, there will be zero bitterness or any of the sort. All they want is to stand and sing the National anthem with pride and send their own personal messages to those back in Ukraine. I’ve no idea who will win tomorrow, but I suspect it will be Scotland. We’ll see. 

One thing I’m sure we can all agree on, let’s hope whoever wins tonight put Bale and the rest of the leek munchers into early retirement on Sunday 

7 hours ago, Binos said:

Is it really “tried and tested” without Tierney in there?

The last two occasions we played a back three without him were Czech Republic at Hampden (injured) and away to Denmark (he played LWB). Big yikes on both occasions. 

I’d be tempted by 4-3-3 with McTominay in midfield. That way we’d have the option to change to 3-4-3 during the game if need be. 

5 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Er, maybe you should actually have a look at Wales vs. Scotland qualification record.

Or indeed their H2H record.

To say Scotland is dominating is a bit of an understatement (and that's more than fair enough, we are a much bigger country and they aren't that even bothered about football).

The fact they have recently had an okay record doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I'd be surprised if Wales ever match Scotlands record of qualifying for 9 World Cups (competing at 8). It's far more likely they qualify once every 50 odd years (with Scotland qualifying more frequently, and going further).

Indeed. Scotland have qualified for 11 finals. 8 World Cup and 3 Euros.

Wales have qualified for 3 finals.

1 World Cup and 2 Euros.

As for going further than the group stage?

Scotland...11 attempts...11 failures.

Wales...3 attempts...3 successes.

8 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Apologies for the daft question, but want to avoid a mare - to confirm, it’s the same tickets that were originally issued (The ones with the March date)? Cheers!

Yeah, there was a tweet from the SFA yesterday saying they were still valid.

34 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Indeed. Scotland have qualified for 11 finals. 8 World Cup and 3 Euros.

Wales have qualified for 3 finals.

1 World Cup and 2 Euros.

As for going further than the group stage?

Scotland...11 attempts...11 failures.

Wales...3 attempts...3 successes.

Bit reductionist though, Scotland have been to the last 16 of the world cup 5 times (competing in 4).

They have also been to the last 8 of the Euros.

It's astonishing those saying we have never qualified from the group stage (an often brought out stat) never give the above context. Getting to the tournament itself in the past is equivalent to getting to the early knock out stages now.

But if you really think Wales have a better footballing record than scotland then fair enough, against us they have won 23...and lost 61.

Edited by Satoshi

Historical records mean absolutely nothing.

In a neutral venue game between the current incarnations of Scotland and Wales, it would be a toss up. Scotland better man for man but Wales have the individual brilliance of Gareth Bale, which is exacerbated by us not having Tierney, the obvious choice to man mark him.

But in Cardiff with the red wall going bananas? Tough not to make them a fairly strong favourite. 

There shouldn't even be a debate about dropping O'Donnell. Is everyone forgetting him being the best player on the park against Denmark?
Can't forget something that never happened my man.

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

But in Cardiff with the red wall going bananas? Tough not to make them a fairly strong favourite. 

It's been done to death so I won't drag it up again, but in a seeded playoff there is no way the #1 seed should have to play away to anyone in the final. It's BS.

8 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

The hot takes are flying in.

Do we go with our trusted RWB who has performed well for us in many big games and has 25 caps under his belt or throw in a guy with 5 minutes of international football and who has (probably) never played right of a back 5 in his pro career.

Hickey has played right of a back 5 for bologna several times this season. At a level O'Donnell could only ever dream of getting to.

If paterson isn't fit hes the obvious choice. Zinchenko coming up against O'Donnell terrifys me, and could easily cost us the game.

9 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

We have a better team/squad than Wales.

Its not fantasy to think we'll beat them.

It's far more of a fantasy than thinking Wales at home won't beat Scotland... Wish I knew where this we've got a better squad/team comes from.  If we can beat Ukraine tonight and Wales on Sunday we can definitely say that. Nothing I've seen up to now gives me confidence that we will.

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Hickey has played right of a back 5 for bologna several times this season. At a level O'Donnell could only ever dream of getting to.

If paterson isn't fit hes the obvious choice. Zinchenko coming up against O'Donnell terrifys me, and could easily cost us the game.

I said similar, and was wildly wrong about a far better player, when it was Alaba going up against O'Donnell. He has more than proved that he is reliable, even if he isnt fashionable in comparison to the left side of our defence.