Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

1 hour ago, Pie Of The Month said:

The quote tweets of that are full of some folk absolutely raging at him. If he doesn't have the game of his life on Wednesday now there's going to be some amount of heads gone over this.

You can’t even see the label, for all we know it’s an alcohol free beer 

Would be fairly surprised if he was drinking about 72 hours before KO of such a huge game. Will be non alcoholic, surely.

After a beautiful week in sunny Romania the nerves are now kicking in for this one.

Watched the BBC programme they did about Scotland in the play offs just there and it then lead me to watching clip after clip of the last few years and before I say anything else, what a job Steve Clarke has done, transformed perennial failures that really had no relationship with the fans into a team that we’re all behind, even if we don’t manage next week, I’m excited about where we can go next.

The injuries are a huge blow, Tierney is the only one who’d have started (and potentially Patterson if he doesn’t make it) but like others have said the likes of Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean are brilliant options off the bench and we’re a bit light in the middle in terms of substitutes.

I would go with the below line up

Gordon

McTominay      Hanley    Cooper

Patterson/O’Donnell                     Robertson

Gilmour      McGregor      
           McGinn                              Armstrong

Adams 

And if Dykes or Christie come in to replace Armstrong that won’t upset me either but that’s where I’m at.

In terms of Ukraine, none of these results mean that much and I don’t know how full strength they were in terms of personnel but they played 3 friendlies;

A draw with Rijeka of Croatia, Hibs more than matched them in Europe this season before we went down to 10 men and crumbled.

A 3-1 win against an Empoli side featuring Liam Henderson, they finished 14th in Serie A.

And a win against Borussia Monchengladbach, a mid table Bundesliga side (albeit the scores were level when they made 8 subs at half time).

Obviously it’s hard to know the competitiveness of these games and there’s also the factor that we have the potential to catch a few of them cold with a lack of football, albeit the adrenaline may compensate for that due to ongoings in Ukraine.

Its hard to piece together much about who is likely to play due to the nature of the ongoings but one thing I noticed is that their first choice goalkeeper Georgi Bushchan has only played 70 games in his whole career at the age of 27, and is a Ukraine based player, not sure what to take from that but their may be a mistake in him so hopefully the likes of John McGinn and Calum McGregor have their shooting boots on.

I don’t think it’s confirmed yet but I believe it’s likely that trains will be running afterwards, looking forward to the day all in all, The Shed for a wee (probably big) bevy to settle the nerves and then off to Hampden and hopefully a few celebratory lagers back in Edinburgh.

I have a sneaking feeling that John McGinn is due a big goal in a big game, I know he scored against Israel but I feel like a huge goal that’ll take his status in terms of the regard he’s held in after time has passed up a level, hopefully it can be Wednesday or Sunday for that matter.

Going to take a stab at;

Scotland 2-1 Ukraine

Dykes 75       Yaremchuk 22

McGinn 82

Because….if we’re gonna do it, we ain’t gonna do it the easy way, it is of course Scotland after all.

I don’t think Cooper starts unless it is in the centre of the 3 in Hanley’s place for some reason (I also expect Hanley to start obviously). I imagine it’ll be McKenna in the Tierney role given it looks like he has already being playing that role for Forest a lot.

46 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I don’t think Cooper starts unless it is in the centre of the 3 in Hanley’s place for some reason (I also expect Hanley to start obviously). I imagine it’ll be McKenna in the Tierney role given it looks like he has already being playing that role for Forest a lot.

I’m not so sure about that. I’d imagine the squad are already going through defensive set ups for the Ukraine game and of course MvKenna isn’t there.  We could  say the same about Robertson but he’s miles better than anyone in the squad in his role. The same can’t be said about McKenna v Cooper I’d suggest. 

I would like to see Sykes start after his form for us last September/October but due to recent injuries and not playing much for qpr near the end of the season I don’t see him starting but wether or not that will change due to him Christie and brown training before everyone else for this game

4 hours ago, therewasacoo said:

I would like to see Sykes start after his form for us last September/October but due to recent injuries and not playing much for qpr near the end of the season I don’t see him starting but wether or not that will change due to him Christie and brown training before everyone else for this game

Dawson in for Christie imo.

74A5AB55-AD42-41EB-A816-AD0CF383DC02.jpeg

Stuart Armstrong has always been disappointing in the big games for me. I’d be fine with McGinn and Christie both playing off one central striker (probably Adams), or with McGinn playing just off an Adams/Dykes pairing, but Armstrong is a big no for me.

11 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

I don’t think it’s confirmed yet but I believe it’s likely that trains will be running afterwards, looking forward to the day all in all, The Shed for a wee (probably big) bevy to settle the nerves and then off to Hampden and hopefully a few celebratory lagers back in Edinburgh.

Anyone know whats happening with trains ?

As it stands just now no trains heading to Coatbridge  or Edinburgh after 10pm from Queen St. 

5 minutes ago, teekasule said:

Anyone know whats happening with trains ?

As it stands just now no trains heading to Coatbridge  or Edinburgh after 10pm from Queen St. 

Good old Angus from Scotrail says there’ll be an update with confirmation today.

Very second hand but a friend of a friend supposedly works for Scotrail and a verbal agreement for later trains has been come to, what that entails I don’t know but I reckon there’ll be some trains running later.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

Good old Angus from Scotrail says there’ll be an update with confirmation today.

Very second hand but a friend of a friend supposedly works for Scotrail and a verbal agreement for later trains has been come to, what that entails I don’t know but I reckon there’ll be some trains running later.

Scratch that :(

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

hmmmmm. 

ScotRail

@ScotRail
·
7m
The temporary timetable means fewer options for fans going to/from Glasgow before & after the game. The last train to Edinburgh from Glasgow Queen St is 2215, on which those attending the match will be unable to travel.

5 minutes ago, teekasule said:

hmmmmm. 

ScotRail

@ScotRail
·
7m
The temporary timetable means fewer options for fans going to/from Glasgow before & after the game. The last train to Edinburgh from Glasgow Queen St is 2215, on which those attending the match will be unable to travel.

See above, fucking nightmare.

That's some update.  "Just letting you know, we're utterly shite at what we do, so if you actually want to get home, you cannae.  Soz"

Biggest game in fucking ages and we can't even really guarantee people will have options to get home outside of Glasgow.

Is there any reasonable alternative to getting back into town after the game? I was at the Sweden game at the Euros and it took an hour to get the train back in town, and that was with a normal timetable and only about 18,000 at the game.
You'd be as quick walking.

6 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Is there any reasonable alternative to getting back into town after the game? I was at the Sweden game at the Euros and it took an hour to get the train back in town, and that was with a normal timetable and only about 18,000 at the game.

Walk. I normally do and it’s about 2 - 2.5 miles so it’s not the worst. Quicker as traffic is normally nearly at a standstill and yeah, trains normally a long queue.