Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

No, he's fit and available - has been training with Christie and Brown for a few weeks now.
I think people just see Adams as the better fwd. While he is technically better, Dykes gives us presence up front. Wouldn't be surprised to see either of them start (it will be one of them though).

Ah OK thanks. I'd play them both rather than Christie.

21 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He didn't start our last game against Austria.

It's a fair point though. I've felt like he's constantly been on the verge of dropping out but very, very rarely has. Maybe the fact he's moved between positions makes it seem like he isn't a nailed on starter as he's not guaranteed to start in defence or midfield.

There was a fair bit of rotation for that game, though. When was he last dropped in a competitive fixture? 

McTominay is a clear first choice RCB. 

32 minutes ago, Donathan said:

D’oh.

I mean 3-4-1-2 

That makes more sense! I agree, we have definitely seen plenty of the 3-4-1-2 - even before Adams was on the scene we started with Dykes and McBurnie in the play-off game against Israel, and also played it with Dykes and Nisbet against Moldova.

I have a feeling he'll opt for Christie rather than two out-and-out strikers next week, but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he went with the front two.

47 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He didn't start our last game against Austria.

It's a fair point though. I've felt like he's constantly been on the verge of dropping out but very, very rarely has. Maybe the fact he's moved between positions makes it seem like he isn't a nailed on starter as he's not guaranteed to start in defence or midfield.

The decision may be affected by factors most fans probably aren't going to be tuned in to - If Steve Clarke thinks that Ukraine struggle to handle strong physical midfielders it could influence team selection and strategy.

Edited by 2426255

Why don't you think 4-3-1-2 is likely? Usually that's been preferred when both Dykes and Adams are available and fully fit.
Just a gut feel really. I can't remember us really 'clicking' in any game with the pair of them up front. I wouldn't rule it out, it's just that starting with one striker and a roaming attacking midfielder seems to have paid most dividends, especially in the last half dozen or so games.

3 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I can't remember us really 'clicking' in any game with the pair of them up front.

England 0 - 0 Scotland,  Austria 0 - 1 Scotland, Scotland 4 - 0  Faroe Islands.

Edited by 2426255

I'd always rather have a Christie/Armstrong/Fraser type link player supporting Adams or Dykes - gives us more creativity and movement in the final third.

And Adams is the better player. Simples.

14 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

What's all the fuss? We win= yippee

We lose= disappointment. We move onto Nations League. 

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I think I’ve ever read. If that’s your attitude to sport then what’s the point in even competing? Bizarre stuff.

8 hours ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

What's all the fuss? We win= yippee

We lose= disappointment. We move onto Nations League. 

Is there a golf tournament you could be watching while this is on? 

Worked a treat last time tbf.

55 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Dykes could be a great weapon to have off the bench for the last half hour if we need to chase a goal.

I’m warming to the idea of Christie starting just off Adams 

I don't feel Christie has done enough in big games to warrant a start. His goal against Serbia aside, I'm struggling to remember too many big performances he's given us. 

Not saying he's shite, just feel Adams and Dykes work well. Adams is such a find, great all round player whilst Dykes has shown fantastic poaching ability in the box and a desire to attack the ball.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I don't feel Christie has done enough in big games to warrant a start. His goal against Serbia aside, I'm struggling to remember too many big performances he's given us. 

Not saying he's shite, just feel Adams and Dykes work well. Adams is such a find, great all round player whilst Dykes has shown fantastic poaching ability in the box and a desire to attack the ball.

He was instrumental in winning the corner at the end against Israel, but I know where you're coming from.

Reminds me of the whole "should have started Adams and Dykes against Czech Republic"  and the whole "should have had an extra midfielder against Croatia" . So we can all look forward to that after the Ukraine game. 

I really like Christie for Scotland, would agree he hasn't offered as much spark or attacking threat as we may have liked, but he retains the ball so much better than Dykes and his defensive workrate is phenomenal. He's built up a real understanding with the midfield 3 too. Dykes is at his best in games we know we'll get a decent number of balls into the box to attack, but I think this game is going to be tight and the extra body dropping into midfield effectively without the ball will be something I suspect Clarke sees as important. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Reminds me of the whole "should have started Adams and Dykes against Czech Republic"  and the whole "should have had an extra midfielder against Croatia" . So we can all look forward to that after the Ukraine game. 

God forbid anyone to have an opinion that doesn’t exactly match Steve Clarke’s.