Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Buses should be running Shirley.

They've certainly not indicated that, quite the opposite actually.... Saying buses are going to be a challenge as rail replacement. 

..... And don't call me Shirley

3 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

They've certainly not indicated that, quite the opposite actually.... Saying buses are going to be a challenge as rail replacement. 

..... And don't call me Shirley

I haven't checked, but given the last bus to Aberdeen in a weekday is 11.30pm I'd be e surprised if there was not a similarly timetabled bus to reekie.

On 17/05/2022 at 14:44, lubo_blaha said:

I remember Dykes was training with Billy Dodds in Inverness before the euros last year.

Probably no one better to learn from tbf.

On 17/05/2022 at 21:52, 2426255 said:

Yeah, Ukraine are building up great momentum and confidence. The manager new manager is really getting a lot out of the team and they look better than the team that was on display at Euro 2020.

When have you seen them play exactly?

28 minutes ago, RobbieD said:

When have you seen them play exactly?

Ukraine played a series of friendly matches which were free to air over the last couple of weeks against Borussia Monchengladbach, Empoli and Rijeka, which you can still watch if you want I think.1

I also watched the full match replays of their games against Bulgaria, Bosnia and France.2 (I think that particular video might have been removed now but that's the general idea and the full match replays aren't too hard to find)

1.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me4HIIlnhLc
  2.  https://footyfull.com/wc-qualification-europe/bosnia-herzegovina-vs-ukraine-16-11-2021/ 

So yeah, based on what I've seen first hand they are looking in reasonably good shape - hard game to predict a winner.

Edited by 2426255

I had a dream last night that we were 6-0 up on these chumps by half time. I scored an absolute beauty where I chested it down then volleyed in off the underside of the bar. 

In the real waking world I'm utterly shiting it for this game.

Edited by velo army

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I had a dream last night that we were 6-0 up on these chumps by half time. In the real waking world I'm utterly shiting it for this game.

I've seen posts that polarize around either pessimism or bravado so your post encapsulates that well Velo Army. Based on what I've seen there is nothing to fear with Ukraine, but they're no doubt better than a lot of people think.

• They're very good on the ball and capable of finding their way out of a tight press, but equally have lost goals recently from being caught out playing out from defence.
  • They can be patient and control games through possession or be quick and direct on counter attacks.
  • They always have good width and pacey defenders - so can play high full backs and won't tend to get done by fast attackers.
  • Good with both a back four or a back three and superb midfield options and variation.

Against Bulgaria and Bosnia the full backs pushed high and the three central midfielders tended to stay deep to help build the play with the two centre backs or alternatively against Rijeka the central midfielder of the three dropped to form a back three with the two centre backs like Billy Gilmour sometimes does for Scotland.

• I think we might be able to use set plays and general physicality against them effectively, but I've only seen limited evidence and for the most part can deal with physical attacks okay, that's something Bosnia and Bulgaria tried.
  • I think we could do it better than either of those countries, but the flip side being if we don't keep the ball by going too direct, too often they'll not give us the ball back quickly. 
Edited by 2426255

Fitness dependant...

Gordon, Kelly, Clark

O'Donnell, Ralston, McTominay, Hendry, Hanley, Cooper, McKenna, Robertson, Hickey, Taylor

Gilmour, Jack, McGregor, McLean, Ferguson, McGinn, Armstrong

Adams, Brown, Dykes, Christie

Would quite like a couple more forwards but haven't seen anything of Stewart and he was just called up as a ringer last time until Dykes could play. Wouldn't imagine Forrest would get called up and I'm not a big fan of Scott Wright. Ryan Fraser is also just back from injury so hasn't earned his place like Clarke said.

3 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Fitness dependant...

Gordon, Kelly, Clark

O'Donnell, Ralston, McTominay, Hendry, Hanley, Cooper, McKenna, Robertson, Hickey, Taylor

Gilmour, Jack, McGregor, McLean, Ferguson, McGinn, Armstrong

Adams, Brown, Dykes, Christie

Would quite like a couple more forwards but haven't seen anything of Stewart and he was just called up as a ringer last time until Dykes could play. Wouldn't imagine Forrest would get called up and I'm not a big fan of Scott Wright. Ryan Fraser is also just back from injury so hasn't earned his place like Clarke said.

Too early to recall David Turnbull? You wouldn't go with a slightly larger squad given the number of games?

Too early to recall David Turnbull? You wouldn't go with a slightly larger squad given the number of games?
Forgot about Turnbull. I'd be happy enough calling him up.

And yeah I was trying to get a bigger squad but tbh was struggling for names. Too early for Souttar and, like I said, couldn't really pick any forwards.

I actually forgot about Matt Targett who might come in. Instead of Greg Taylor, maybe?

Scott Wright has to come into consideration surely, he's had a very good finish to the season and could be a really nice option off the bench.
Dunno. He's played a lot of important games for Rangers in these last 2 months, yes, but from what I've seen of those matches he has largely looked out of his depth - constantly giving the ball away or choosing the wrong option.
Then again, in a couple of those games he's been played out of position while Rangers tried to cope with their striker crisis. Also, I missed the cup final today where he scored, so I'll have to watch the highlights.

Anyway, my gut tells me he's a cut below OF and Scotland standard. A new Gary Mackay Steven, if you will.

10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Dunno. He's played a lot of important games for Rangers in these last 2 months, yes, but from what I've seen of those matches he has largely looked out of his depth - constantly giving the ball away or choosing the wrong option.
Then again, in a couple of those games he's been played out of position while Rangers tried to cope with their striker crisis. Also, I missed the cup final today where he scored, so I'll have to watch the highlights.

Anyway, my gut tells me he's a cut below OF and Scotland standard. A new Gary Mackay Steven, if you will.

I haven't saw much of him but he took his goal well today

Very good finish