Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

50 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The issue is that UEFA could just turn around and tell us when the game is, and that it’ll be a double up. 

And the SFA should tell them to f**k off and move the game to September.

There's no reason for Scotland to give up anything here.

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The issue is that UEFA could just turn around and tell us when the game is, and that it’ll be a double up.

There is no precedent in the rules for a "double up", it would presumably have to be agreed on by all parties.

4 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

and yet this is from a BBC article put up an hour ago......

Aside from their charity work, the two clubs aim to get Ukrainian internationals ready for their World Cup play-off match against Scotland on 7 June. If they win at Hampden Park, Ukraine will then travel to Wales for a qualification decider due to be played just days later.

Dynamo Kyiv: Ukrainian champions decamp to Bucharest to spread story of grief and hope - BBC Sport

Thanks for that, I read through the article. That's a bit odd, I don't definitely believe the Daily Mail or the BBC so it doesn't matter. I believe both journalists probably think they're in the know - but, that's the trouble with journalists, just have to wait and see.

Edited by 2426255

The BBC article is from BBC Sport in London and the date will be based on the journalist just seeing the scheduled date for the Nations League game and assuming it's the play-off. Stephen McGowan at the Daily Mail is about as good a source as you can get for SFA stuff.

I think they need to be saying to Ukraine, appreciate the predicament your in, here’s what’s happening 

Semi Final is Friday 3/6

Final is Tuesday 7/6

Sorry Ukraine this time around it’s probably for the best you sit out the Nations League but you won’t be relegated.

Scotland Ireland Armenia become a three team section playing games June and September.

Friday 3/6 Scotland v Ukraine World Cup Play Off Semi

Saturday 4/6  Ireland v Armenia ( Was meant to be Ireland v Ukraine ) 

Tuesday 7/6 Wales v Scotland or Ukraine World Cup Play Off Final9

Tuesday 7/6 Armenia v Ireland ( Scheduled Fixture ) 

Saturday 11/6 Ireland v Scotland ( Scheduled Fixture ) 

Tuesday 14/6 Armenia v Scotland ( Scheduled Fixture )

Friday 23/9 Scotland v Ireland ( Sceduled Fixture )

Monday 26/9 Scotland v Armenia ( Was meant to be Ukraine v Scotland )

”If” Ukraine manage to win through to the Wold Cup Finals they could have a couple of warm up matches against Ireland and Armenia in September 

Edited by NUMBER 7

5 hours ago, Donathan said:

Presumably if the match went to extra time then the score at the end of 90 minutes would be final for nations league purposes, no? 

There is not ET and penalties in the UNL group stage, so presumably if for argument’s sake it’s 1-1 after 90 minutes, then they’d have to call it a 1-1 draw and a point each in the nations league, with ET and penalties only being played to determine who wins the playoff match? 

Right, but that’s only one issue of many, and I disagree.  That solution is neither satisfactory, nor elegant.  When Andy Robertson is sent off after 120 minutes and gets a two match suspension, does he miss 2 x FIFA matches, 2 x UEFA matches, or 4 x total matches?

You cannot just decide that the first 90 minutes of a match count towards one game and not another.  After all, sanctions picked up in abandoned games always count towards suspensions, so the idea of writing off actions in ET lacks integrity.

I’d say we could check the regulations to see what issues aren’t compatible, but as far as I can, they haven’t even been printed yet.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

36 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

When Andy Robertson is sent off after 120 minutes and gets a two match suspension, does he miss 2 x FIFA matches, 2 x UEFA matches, or 4 x total matches?

You cannot just decide that the first 90 minutes of a match count towards one game and not another.  After all, sanctions picked up in abandoned games always count towards suspensions, so the idea of writing off actions in ET lacks integrity.

Holes can be picked in the idea left right & centre.

You might deploy substitutions later/differently/in fewer numbers with half-an-eye on ET, than knowing game can end drawn after 90min for 1pt.

You might sub booked players earlier.

Down to 10-men? You might settle for draw in NL.

Indeed entire tactical strategy - 'league approach' v 'cup approach' - might differ.

Etc. etc.

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Kenny Dalgleish weighing in now and suggesting Ukraine are given automatic qualification to the 2026 World Cup 😂

At what point does the ridiculous patronising / virtue signalling end?

There are roughly 352 teams in the 2026 World Cup. If Ukraine can’t qualify for that properly then they don’t deserve to be in it 

It would be a way of showing your respect for them and at the same time moving forward with this World Cup in Qatar. And people (Todd_is_God, 😁) will say: how can they get that? Well, if you want to get your places bombed, your parents killed and your friends killed, that’s what you need to go through to get it (World Cup place). I just think it would be nice, if they want a solution, to give them that.

Kenny Dalglish

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/scotland-world-cup-play-off-pressure-unfair-let-ukraine-walk-away-and-guarantee-them-place-at-2026-tournament-3650245

That could also just be his opinion and he's not virtue signalling. @Todd_is_God

Edited by 2426255

21 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Did he actually say that about Todd_is_God?

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

There are roughly 352 teams in the 2026 World Cup. If Ukraine can’t qualify for that properly then they don’t deserve to be in it 

There are 3 extra places for Europe, hardly a big change. It would basically mean that all of the play-off semi-finals became finals.

17 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm busy 3rd June so no matches then, thanks.

That’s a Friday and the public sector have been given that day as a holiday to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. That day is fine with me.

19 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I wonder if he’d be saying that if he was still playing and this was his big chance as a player to get to a World Cup?