Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

52 minutes ago, Donathan said:

This is different, though. This is a single game being counted towards two completely independent tournaments. It’s a gimmick and a farce. 

Where are you seeing confirmation of this...I have looked and can see nothing confirming that one game will count for two competitions (other than speculation from posters here in the previous couple of pages)

4 hours ago, BazMac said:

Has a game of football ever counted for two competitions before across football history?

It used to be common in EOS League until 1970s as early rounds of cup-ties would also count as league games.

Celtic v Rangers playoff for SFL title in 1904-05 also counted in Glasgow League.

Motherwell had a pair of SFL games in 1900-01 that also counted in the previous season's Scottish County League.

Berwick once won 2 trophies in 1 game against Meadowbank during 1980s - an EOS Cup Final also counted as the previous seasons EOS Shield Final (or possibly vice versa).

Edited by HibeeJibee

10 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

Daily Record reporting UEFA have offered Ukraine the choice of 31 May or 1 June to play the match. Would suit me as the 4 June game was the only home match I was unable to make from the four that went on sale.

If report accurate I'm hoping Ukraine pick Tue 31st for extra recovery.

I've already bought tickets and trains to Italy-Argentina at Wembley on Wed 1st, as has a relative who also has tickets for Scotland-Ukraine 😂.

21 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Where are you seeing confirmation of this...I have looked and can see nothing confirming that one game will count for two competitions (other than speculation from posters here in the previous couple of pages)

Daily record 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Africa still hold a single tournament that decides who qualifies for the World Cup and the AFCON. I think the group winners advance to the next round of WC qualifying and the top 2-3 go to the AFCON.

This is different, though. This is a single game being counted towards two completely independent tournaments. It’s a gimmick and a farce. 

It’s hardly a gimmick or a farce. It’s simply trying to make the best possible resolution out of a terrible set of circumstances.

Its probably not ideally how anyone would like to do it, but I think that overall accepting a less than ideal football situation in this scenario is all we can do. 

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

It’s hardly a gimmick or a farce. It’s simply trying to make the best possible resolution out of a terrible set of circumstances.

Its probably not ideally how anyone would like to do it, but I think that overall accepting a less than ideal football situation in this scenario is all we can do. 

Why not move the nations league match back to September? We have played triple headers as a result of the pandemic and there’s no reason not to now. That’s a much better solution than this. 

Reading reports that Artem Dovbyk will be able travel to join up with Dynamo Kyiv’s squad (he plays for Dnipro-1) for the friendly tour to get match fitness after coming back from injury. 

Everything I have read over the last week or so suggests that Ukraine are trying hard to prepare for the fixture.

12 hours ago, Jambomo said:

yep. I love Scotland games and the internationals (particularly when we are doing well) as much as the next TA fan (though mainly limiting myself to home games these days), but some of the responses on here not too far off "disgusted of Turnbridge Wells" furious at the Coronation Street slot being pushed back due to a 9/11 type news flash. 

13 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I think that overall accepting a less than ideal football situation in this scenario is all we can do. 

Absolutely not. The SFA have a duty to ensure that Scotland are not disadvantaged in any competition through no fault of their own.

If the WC wasn't in November, or we weren't due to play Ukraine at Hampden in June, then this solution wouldn't work. That a freak coincidence exists doesn't mean that we should just accept this because Ukraine are at war. The WCQ obviously needs played as an urgent priority - the NL can wait if need be.

Either move the NL game to a later date or, if it absolutely can't be fitted into the schedule, ask Ukraine which fixture they want to fulfill and award Scotland the other one.

It's absolutely unacceptable that Scotland can potentially be eliminated from the WC and lose ground in the NL against the top seed in our home game against them (with potential EC Play Off implications) in the same 90 minutes when that wasn't the plan from the off.

The £2m+ loss in revenue as well is unacceptable, and should be paid to the SFA by whoever of FIFA / UEFA / UAF is responsible for the loss.

UEFA & FIFA will do everything they can to avoid besmirching their pal Vlad and the lovely blood money he  has given them in less complicated times, same as Qatar & the UAE

They've just chucked Russia out of the World Cup, and to be honest I have no idea why any of that is relevant to the scheduling of Scotland v Ukraine anyway.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They've just chucked Russia out of the World Cup, and to be honest I have no idea why any of that is relevant to the scheduling of Scotland v Ukraine anyway.

It has plenty to do with it, they will do whatever they can to make this seem normal by throwing together whatever they can at the very last second rather than admitting one of their mates are responsible for the issue. They would not have done a single thing until Poland forced the issue and shamed them into making the correct decision, they would have been quite happy to allow The Russia (I am obviously paraphrasing) to compete in the playoffs, and probably beyond, otherwise.

It’s utterly bizarre that UEFA did all kinds of gymnastics with the schedule these past two years including moving a whole tournament back by a year, scheduling international triple headers instead of the usual double headers, and completing the latter stages of club tournaments as single leg affairs in a host country, yet they can’t simply move a Nations League game back by a few months and prioritise the playoffs.

I have no problem with Scotland v Ukraine being played in June for the nations league semi final, but why on earth is the best option to have the gimmicky double up? Just push the nations league game back to September to form a triple header like we have played multiple times in recent qualifying campaigns. 

2 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Reading reports that Artem Dovbyk will be able travel to join up with Dynamo Kyiv’s squad (he plays for Dnipro-1) for the friendly tour to get match fitness after coming back from injury. 

Everything I have read over the last week or so suggests that Ukraine are trying hard to prepare for the fixture.

Do you suspect that means he is expected to sign permanently for Kyiv? I thought he was on for a move to Italy, France or Turkey.

There is simply no way that giving a team double the reward/double the punishment for playing well/having a bad day at the office is remotely fair. These are two very important fixtures and merging them into one is unacceptable.

If UEFA are insistent that both need to be played in June then even playing the two of them back to back on the same day would be fairer than this. Say, the UNL game at 3pm and the playoff at 7:45pm. With the size of international squads these days I’m sure Clarke and the Ukraine manager would rotate appropriately to ensure no one is having to play 180 mins. 

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

There is simply no way that giving a team double the reward/double the punishment for playing well/having a bad day at the office is remotely fair. These are two very important fixtures and merging them into one is unacceptable.

If UEFA are insistent that both need to be played in June then even playing the two of them back to back on the same day would be fairer than this. Say, the UNL game at 3pm and the playoff at 7:45pm. With the size of international squads these days I’m sure Clarke and the Ukraine manager would rotate appropriately to ensure no one is having to play 180 mins. 

You're fuming over this. It's hard to really say too much based on one article in the Daily Record. Hopefully, if this is the decision then the reasons for it will be outlined.