Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

2 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

I can genuinely see them kicking the can down the road until September because nobody will want to be the bad guy in terms of making Ukraine play or putting this fixture out of its misery and giving us a bye 

I can't see that being an option.  Moving it to June has already caused a fair few headaches for scheduling, with the possibility of 5 games in June.  But I think you can just about get away with that in June.  To move to September, you'd need to shift the two games already meant for that window around and either postpone those, or make it a 3 match window.  Then you'd be mucking about the other sides in our Nations League group, as well as those due to face Wales.  

I think there'll be a decision made either way for June.  Either Ukraine are available and we play, or they have to forfeit.  It's going to make those making the decision sound like c***s to your average r/soccer visitor, but I imagine if it's gotten to that point, Ukraine will simply have no option or desire to complete the fixture, so likely won't be too many arguments from their side.  I think it'll happen though.

Thing is, their footballing authorities seem determined to go ahead with it in June and that player that asked for a second postponement didn’t seem to have any doubts about them being able to fulfil the fixture, just that they wouldn’t be at 100%. I think the smart money is on June going ahead. 

On 07/03/2022 at 10:34, 2426255 said:

Maybe they can use the one fixture on June-07 to decide two outcomes (Playoff and Nations League. Wouldn't that be a laugh. 😁

image.png.dc8146aa54dc04c9e7b135af17c1aae1.png

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/8670691/scotland-nations-league-ukraine-world-cup/

😉

@John Lambies Doos@DiegoDiego 

Edited by 2426255

We can't be letting that happen. If it was 1-1 going into the last 15 minutes of the Nations League game we'd be pushing for a win, whereas in the same situation in the play-off game we might be a bit cagier. If they're not willing to fulfil their Nations League fixture separately then they should pull out of that tournament.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We can't be letting that happen. If it was 1-1 going into the last 15 minutes of the Nations League game we'd be pushing for a win, whereas in the same situation in the play-off game we might be a bit cagier. If they're not willing to fulfil their Nations League fixture separately then they should pull out of that tournament.

Also worth noting that the NL match is effectively a Euro 2024 qualifier as well - that game could be played in October?

Its also a dreadful idea as it means having to change the following NL fixtures.

Are Ukraine intending playing Ireland in the NL in the previous match day?

Having us play Ukraine on the 4th June makes most sense. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

13 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Its also a dreadful idea as it means having to change the following NL fixtures.

Are Ukraine intending playing Ireland in the NL in the previous match day?

Having us play Ukraine on the 4th June makes most sense. 

You are probably right....if Ukraine are able to play then no harm in them staying in Glasgow for WC semi on Sat 4th and then NL match on Tue 7th - if thats what they decide.  With perhaps the WC final on Sat 11th (meaning postponing the Ireland v Scotland NL match)  Perhaps too short notice to have the WC final on the Tuesday (although logistically not an issue for both Scotland or Ukraine to travel to Wales )

Obviously this is absolutely not a priority for Ukraine at present but it would be good to see FIFA / UEFA give an indication of what dates they are considering and cut-off dates for those fixtures to definitely go ahead or move to a plan B (if they decide to have one)

38 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

Daily Record reporting UEFA have offered Ukraine the choice of 31 May or 1 June to play the match. Would suit me as the 7 June game was the only home match I was unable to make from the four that went on sale.

It would make sense logistically as Ukraine are away to Ireland and Scotland are at home to Armenia on the 4th of June so no-one would be terribly put out travel wise assuming the Nations League fixtures aren't moved to accommodate a playoff final.

It feels preferable to have the play-off games before the Nations league games if they are all going to be played in June, but you could look at it either way I suppose.

Edited by 2426255

They’re actually going ahead with doubling up the two games? That’s absolutely crazy imo.

I assume that probably means they’ll put the final on 7th June and move Wales’s home game against the Netherlands forward to 31st May, meaning no games would need moved back to September or November.

So our June probably looks like:

Wednesday 1st June: Ukraine (H) - WC playoff SF AND UNL group stage

Saturday 4th June: Armenia (H) - UNL group stage

Tuesday 7th June: Possible Wales (A) - WC playoff final 

Saturday 11th June: Ireland (A) - UNL group stage

Tuesday 14th June: Armenia (A) - UNL group stage

That’s actually not horrendous as a home game against Armenia between the SF and F is the one game where I’d trust a second choice XI to go out and take care of business. 

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

They’re actually going ahead with doubling up the two games? That’s absolutely crazy imo.

I assume that probably means they’ll put the final on 7th June and move Wales’s home game against the Netherlands forward to 31st May, meaning no games would need moved back to September or November.

That’s actually not horrendous as a home game against Armenia between the SF and F is the one game where I’d trust a second choice XI to go out and take care of business. 

I think given the circumstances it isn't a horrendous proposition if it turns out like that. Travel wise it's okay too - I find it an acceptable solution.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think given the circumstances it isn't a horrendous proposition if it turns out like that. Travel wise it's okay too - I find it an acceptable solution.

My issue with it is that it’s not paying the UNL the respect it deserves. It’s an important competitive fixture and Scotland should not suffer double consequences if we don’t turn up on the day.

If Ukraine are only able to come to Scotland and play one fixture then they should forfeit the UNL game 3-0. However, I think there are better solutions than this. Even playing both fixtures on the same day or consecutive days (international squads are big enough to do this without asking the same players to play) is preferably to this gimmick. 

38 minutes ago, Donathan said:

My issue with it is that it’s not paying the UNL the respect it deserves. It’s an important competitive fixture and Scotland should not suffer double consequences if we don’t turn up on the day.

If Ukraine are only able to come to Scotland and play one fixture then they should forfeit the UNL game 3-0. However, I think there are better solutions than this. Even playing both fixtures on the same day or consecutive days (international squads are big enough to do this without asking the same players to play) is preferably to this gimmick. 

Also this:

"It would mean the SFA would lose out on around £2 million from ticket sales and commercial support if the two games were turned into one."

It's not right that the SFA have to just shrug their shoulders and miss out on a game / income for no reason other than we were due to play Ukraine again anyway. It's a cop out.

What rules apply? WCQ or NL? (VAR isn't in the NL groups is it?) What should be done with any players suspended for the next NL match, can they play in this one? Why do Ukraine get to choose the date of the game? Why do Scotland have to lose a home NL game and not Ukraine?

Hope we absolutely batter them.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

It's not ideal, it will for sure impact our NL results too regardless of the result. Imagine we'd be a bit flat against ireland and armenia after being papped out of the WC qualifiers. If we win we'll have lost focus.

Makes the NL games feel like diddy matches that could cost us when it comes to the Euros.

Edited by red23

Has a game of football ever counted for two competitions before across football history?

Used to happen quite a lot in the old days. Also even now in Asia their World Cup qualifiers double up as Asian Cup qualifiers.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Used to happen quite a lot in the old days. Also even now in Asia their World Cup qualifiers double up as Asian Cup qualifiers.

Africa still hold a single tournament that decides who qualifies for the World Cup and the AFCON. I think the group winners advance to the next round of WC qualifying and the top 2-3 go to the AFCON.

This is different, though. This is a single game being counted towards two completely independent tournaments. It’s a gimmick and a farce.