Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

No Athletic subscription so not got any exact quotes but the headline doesn't sound great.

The same story is in a bunch of papers. They'll play if they have to but they don't think they'll be able to win two playoff games in a short space of time due to their fitness levels. No mention of the NL games.

On 02/04/2022 at 09:02, dundeefc1783 said:

Also heard the presenter on the Morton v Killie game mention playing Ukraine on 7th June. Is this date just being banded about becuase that's when the NL game with Ukraine was meant to be?

On 02/04/2022 at 09:50, Donathan said:

Yep. Nothing concrete about that. I personally think the 7th would be a poor choice. 

All manner of suggestions/rumours have been bandying about including:

*play Sf on Wednesday 1st and Final on Tuesday 7th (cancelling Scotland v Ukraine + Wales v Netherlands)

*play Sf on Saturday 4th (cancelling Scotland v Armenia + Eire v Ukraine) and Final on Tuesday 7th (cancelling Scotland v Ukraine + Wales v Netherlands)

*play Sf on Tuesday 7th in place of NL game and Final on Tuesday 14th (cancelling Armenia v Scotland or Ukraine v Eire + Netherlands v Wales)

*play Sf on Saturday 18th and Final on Tuesday 21st

Probably been others.

2 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

No Athletic subscription so not got any exact quotes but the headline doesn't sound great.

“We don’t want to be known as victims here. We are strong and capable guys, everyone is fine and we can play 100 per cent,” he explained to The Sunday Times.

“But the question I would ask is how can we play such an important game when you haven’t played a match for such a long time?

“Every football player knows that if you recover from an injury for a long time, no matter how much you work out in the gym and do running, you go out to play football and everything is different.

“The level and strength may not be enough with one match, but we will be asked to play two incredibly tough matches in maybe four days to get to the World Cup. If there is no option then we must play.

“But I think it would be extremely difficult to achieve two positive results. We are hoping FIFA and UEFA recognise this and postpone the matches to give us more time to prepare.”

Rod Petrie then quoted after that just saying the SFA will support Ukraine as best they can. Doubt he wants it postponed again but him saying anything else in public would be a bit tone deaf.

I can’t see it getting pushed back any longer. Only dates left would be September and October I think and both are very close to the start of the tournament.

I can't see it possibly being delayed any further, the only minor possibility is if Ukraine withdraw from the Nations League. If Ukraine aren't able to play in June but still want to stay in both competitions then that leaves us with 4 Nations League games plus a World Cup semi and possible final to play in the space of a week in September. That's clearly not remotely possible.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I can't see it possibly being delayed any further, the only minor possibility is if Ukraine withdraw from the Nations League. If Ukraine aren't able to play in June but still want to stay in both competitions then that leaves us with 4 Nations League games plus a World Cup semi and possible final to play in the space of a week in September. That's clearly not remotely possible.

In their shoes I'd ask to withdraw from NL then contest playoff in September. On paper that might only entail moving a single Wales game; and PR-wise it might be pretty hard for FIFA & UEFA to say "no".

Yeah any further cancellations should be treated with a dim view. They’ve got two whole months to figure out how to get a squad ready, and if Dynamo Kyiv are allowed to leave the country to play friendlies then the national team definitely will. 

If the Tierney rumours are true, is it worth changing to a 4-3-1-2 for this game?

Gordon

Patterson-Hendry-Hanley-Robertson

McTominay-Gilmour-McGregor

McGinn

Adams-Dykes

Playing that line-up gives us flexibility to change back to the usual formation if it doesn’t work

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

If the Tierney rumours are true, is it worth changing to a 4-3-1-2 for this game?

We don't know how long KT is injured for, but if transpires that he is out for the June games I'd be surprised if Steve Clarke changed formation after basing our previous camps around the current shape.

He had an opportunity with Andy Robertson missing the Poland game to try a four at the back system and we never saw it - therefore I'd expect to see a straight swap with Liam Cooper or Scott McKenna and to be honest I'm okay with that.

Just now, 2426255 said:

We don't know how long KT is injured for, but if transpires that he is out for the June games I'd be surprised if Steve Clarke changed formation after basing our previous camps around the current shape.

He had an opportunity with Andy Robertson missing the Poland game to try a four at the back system and we never saw it - therefore I'd expect to see a straight swap with Liam Cooper or Scott McKenna and to be honest I'm okay with that.

I’m not sure that Cooper and McKenna are good enough ball players to play at the side of a back three for us. The one player who is better with the ball is Jack Hendry. I’d be fine with either Hendry at LCB, or put Hendry in his normal position and move McTominay over to the left side. For me, ball skills are more important for that role than being left footed. 

18 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’m not sure that Cooper and McKenna are good enough ball players to play at the side of a back three for us. The one player who is better with the ball is Jack Hendry. I’d be fine with either Hendry at LCB, or put Hendry in his normal position and move McTominay over to the left side. For me, ball skills are more important for that role than being left footed. 

That might be what Steve Clarke does and I wouldn't object to that either, but it just seems pretty straightforward that Liam Cooper or Scott McKenna will come in and we will lose a bit in terms of building our attacks out from the left side of defence.

Steve Clarke must have confidence in Scott McKenna and Liam Cooper because he never brought a replacement LCB in the two friendly matches, he also didn't use the friendly matches to test either Jack Hendry or Scott McTominay on the left.  So what other conclusion can reasonably be drawn?

*Assuming KT is out long term, which we don't know yet.

Edited by 2426255

Wand of a left peg

5 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Wand of a left peg

I watched Scott McKenna in a couple of his games this season for Forest and to be honest he looked good at LCB. Not exactly KT, but not a terrible option as cover. Still the Ukraine game will no doubt be levels above the Championship.

Edited by 2426255

On 03/04/2022 at 15:06, eez-eh said:

“We don’t want to be known as victims here. We are strong and capable guys, everyone is fine and we can play 100 per cent,” he explained to The Sunday Times.

“But the question I would ask is how can we play such an important game when you haven’t played a match for such a long time?

“Every football player knows that if you recover from an injury for a long time, no matter how much you work out in the gym and do running, you go out to play football and everything is different.

“The level and strength may not be enough with one match, but we will be asked to play two incredibly tough matches in maybe four days to get to the World Cup. If there is no option then we must play.

“But I think it would be extremely difficult to achieve two positive results. We are hoping FIFA and UEFA recognise this and postpone the matches to give us more time to prepare.”

Rod Petrie then quoted after that just saying the SFA will support Ukraine as best they can. Doubt he wants it postponed again but him saying anything else in public would be a bit tone deaf.

I can’t see it getting pushed back any longer. Only dates left would be September and October I think and both are very close to the start of the tournament.

So on one hand Ukraine have far more pressing issues than football at the moment but then saying wait wait wait you can't kick us out. 

As to people saying expand the WC by 2 teams, who says Ukraine are playing then either? 

If they have "more pressing issues than football" they won't mind, unfortunately, bowing out.

4 minutes ago, red23 said:

So on one hand Ukraine have far more pressing issues than football at the moment but then saying wait wait wait you can't kick us out. 

As to people saying expand the WC by 2 teams, who says Ukraine are playing then either? 

If they have "more pressing issues than football" they won't mind, unfortunately, bowing out.

How many Scotland fans are privately hoping that we just get a bye to the playoff final? 

Just now, 2426255 said:

How many Scotland fans are privately hoping that we just get a bye to the playoff final? 

some will be for sure, but it also denies us a chance of a huge game at hampden. May the best team win and all that.

1 minute ago, 2426255 said:

Are you hoping for a bye?

Would make life easier no doubt about it but not at the expense of Ukraine being destroyed no.

If they can't make it in June, then yes i'm hoping for a bye.