Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

Hopefully that's the case.  Obviously if it's a choice between going through with a bye and getting put out, you'd take the bye, but the biggest match we've had in Hampden in fucking ages is one you want to see through, not have completely cancelled.  

I think there’s little to no chance that FIFA/UEFA/SFA will agree to kick the can down the road again on this one.

I expect that in the coming days and weeks, a June date will be set for the semi-final at Hampden and the final in Cardiff, involving two sets of nations league games being postponed (one to September and one to November), however if Ukraine still can’t make the new date then I think they’ll withdraw and it’ll be a Wales v Scotland final 

Aye the Ukrainian president has also said Scotland v Ukraine isn’t happening in June.  So you’d imagine we’ll get a bye to the final. They can’t kick the can down the road any further as teams will need to prepare for Qatar. 

Sounds insensitive of me to say at this time but that’s what should happen.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye the Ukrainian president has also said Scotland v Ukraine isn’t happening in June.  So you’d imagine we’ll get a bye to the final. They can’t kick the can down the road any further as teams will need to prepare for Qatar. 

Sounds insensitive of me to say at this time but that’s what should happen.

You heartless beast.

Spoiler

DF431A42-5EAC-4C53-B5BA-8B109C755ADC.gif.afac8391c802e0af1e29118d83d4d1fe.gif

38 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I read last night that the Dynamo Kyiv squad have been given permission to leave the country but I can’t find confirmation 

Now confirmed by Ihor Surkis, Dynamo’s owner. They intend to play friendlies with major European clubs as fundraisers for the army and also for match fitness. Ministry of Sport has also confirmed it.

Yeah, if they’re letting Dynamo Kyiv play friendlies then there’s no way the national team will be prevented flying abroad for a World Cup playoff.

It’s questionable whether they’re able to get their entire first team squad together as some will want to stay and fight but I think we can assume that the SF will go ahead in some guise. 

17 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

What are the likely June dates do we think? I'm away on the 4th of June so would need to organise getting back but 4th/7th makes more sense to me than 11th/14th in terms of having players fresher. 

UNL fixtures schedule:

3rd June/4th June: Poland v Wales, Ireland v Ukraine, Scotland v Armenia

6th June/7th June: Wales v Netherlands, Scotland v Ukraine

10th June/11th June: Wales v Belgium, Ireland v Scotland, Ukraine v Armenia

13th June/14th June: Netherlands v Wales, Ukraine v Ireland, Armenia v Scotland.

I think 4th/7th (Or 3rd/6th) makes sense from the point of view that it means you know exactly which four games need to be rearranged, i.e., the bolded ones.

But I did read in some paper a few weeks ago that 4th/14th is in play (With the middle two UNL games being unaffected). 

2 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I dunno if the guy hosting the draw's got mixed up with the National League but he just said our game with Ukraine's been rescheduled for the 7th of June

Heard this too but given it's English media I would suspect your explanation is correct.

On 27/03/2022 at 15:53, Gordopolis said:

From a purely selfish Scotland fan's point of view this would be the best case scenario - no frantic, exhausting semi final a few days before the final.

If Ukraine are given the option of withdrawing or playing the game, surely they play the game? As in cobble together a team of players who are not based in the Ukraine. Looking at the players they've called up in the last 12 months they're more than capable of doing this, and that would be a pretty handy side very capable of beating us. 

11 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Now confirmed by Ihor Surkis, Dynamo’s owner. They intend to play friendlies with major European clubs as fundraisers for the army and also for match fitness. Ministry of Sport has also confirmed it.

I'm slightly peeved by this tbh. It's just 1 week on from the date of the playoff game, and suddenly, despite the war still going on, it's now ok to play sports.

The game should have taken place last week.