Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

If you are the winner of Wales and Austria game,  you are fielding a B team in the June Nations League match all day long. So they will go into the winner of our game fresher than they would have been had they played their semi on the same day as us. 

I get that rescheduling Nations League matches would be a pain. However you have to be fair to all four sides in our semi finals. 

It’s best to minimise the disruption as much as possible. I don’t think needlessly having to rearrange extra games with all the associated costs and forcing Wales and Austria to play a friendly in this window before the real thing in June is the way to go. Not an isolated case from UEFA either, Poland are benefiting from Russia dropping out and even at major tournaments one of the finalists gets more time before the final than the other.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

It’s best to minimise the disruption as much as possible. I don’t think needlessly having to rearrange extra games with all the associated costs and forcing Wales and Austria to play a friendly in this window before the real thing in June is the way to go. Not an isolated case from UEFA either, Poland are benefiting from Russia dropping out and even at major tournaments one of the finalists gets more time before the final than the other.

It is difficult to see the situation in Ukraine being resolved by June. That being the case, I suppose there is a good chance that we will benefit anyway and receive a bye into the final. 

4 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

It is difficult to see the situation in Ukraine being resolved by June. That being the case, I suppose there is a good chance that we will benefit anyway and receive a bye into the final. 

While the conflict may not be resolved by June, the emergency FIFA transfer window allows Ukrainian based players to find other clubs and continue to play. This in theory should allow Ukraine to raise a team, and fulfil the fixture if they choose to, and for National pride I think they would.

29 minutes ago, Darkness78 said:

While the conflict may not be resolved by June, the emergency FIFA transfer window allows Ukrainian based players to find other clubs and continue to play. This in theory should allow Ukraine to raise a team, and fulfil the fixture if they choose to, and for National pride I think they would.

I think that's more aimed at foreign players currently signed for Ukrainian clubs.

What about their non-playing staff?

I don't expect us to be playing any games v Ukraine in June tbh.
A bye into the final and awardes 3 points from the Nations League game seem by far the most likely outcome at the minute.

If they don't start the Nations League campaign in June I'd expect them just to pull out rather than fucking about with waiting until September to see if they can play the last few.

I agree with you too, it's looking increasingly unlikely they'll be able to play. They might try to scrape something together for the play-off for the sake of national pride and so on.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

If they don't start the Nations League campaign in June I'd expect them just to pull out rather than fucking about with waiting until September to see if they can play the last few.

I agree with you too, it's looking increasingly unlikely they'll be able to play. They might try to scrape something together for the play-off for the sake of national pride and so on.

I see "national pride" mentioned a second time in relation to the Ukrainians playing a football match.

I'm puzzled by it what is meant by this? The country is being blown to smithereens, the Russians are trying to kill every Ukrainian it meets including families of the players or maybe even the players themselves. The Ukrainians are using up all their national pride trying to fight the fuckers off.

They might not even have a country by June. It's been postponed in the faint hope that Putin sees sense or gets overthrown by his generals; both of which are highly unlikely scenarios within the next three months. Putin spent ten years blowing Chechnya apart.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I see "national pride" mentioned a second time in relation to the Ukrainians playing a football match.

I'm puzzled by it what is meant by this? The country is being blown to smithereens, the Russians are trying to kill every Ukrainian it meets including families of the players or maybe even the players themselves. The Ukrainians are using up all their national pride trying to fight the fuckers off.

They might not even have a country by June. It's been postponed in the faint hope that Putin sees sense or gets overthrown by his generals; both of which are highly unlikely scenarios within the next three months. Putin spent ten years blowing Chechnya apart.

It would be a very high profile expression of Ukrainian statehood on the sporting stage. Every single Ukrainian is not standing in a city fighting against the Russian invasion, not least their many professional footballers who are playing for clubs all around Europe. I don't think those guys are "using up all of their national pride", whatever that even means.

Edited by craigkillie

12 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I can imagine seeing your country and countrymen being blown apart might make you a wee bit more patriotic, if this ends by june what a statement they'd want to send by making it to the world cup to bring joy to their destroyed country.............on the other hand, we have Aaron Hickey and some english journeymen.

Edited by red23

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Did countries like Iraq, Syria or Yemen stop playing? Not a rhetorical question, I genuinely don't know. You'd imagine Ukraine could knock together a team whatever happens.

I think Syria and Yemen played their World Cup qualifiers in another country.

I seem to remember Iraq stopped playing for a while after being invaded by the coalition of wankers, then came back and unexpectedly won the Asian Cup.

19 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Did countries like Iraq, Syria or Yemen stop playing? Not a rhetorical question, I genuinely don't know. You'd imagine Ukraine could knock together a team whatever happens.

I had a look at recent call ups etc and without going outwith that they could have got a squad of 18 together playing outwith Ukraine.  

The vast majority of that aren't regulars though. 

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Getting carpet bombed on the regular is par for the course in these Middle Eastern countries. War in Europe is a totally abnormal scenario. 

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It would be a very high profile expression of Ukrainian statehood on the sporting stage. Every single Ukrainian is not standing in a city fighting against the Russian invasion, not least their many professional footballers who are playing for clubs all around Europe. I don't think those guys are "using up all of their national pride", whatever that even means.

To add to this, they’ve got 18 fully capped internationals who play their club football outside of Ukraine and a further handful of under 21s. Each of those appears to still be turning out for their club teams across Europe and beyond, so I don’t think it’s inconceivable that they manage to cobble together a squad to come to Glasgow. Bigger issue might be getting the management team over but they could always ask Andriy Shevchenko to come back (he’s in Italy atm)