Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

I don't understand that either. They're preparing for it, there's no threat to that game, so why postpone a bunch of other matches?
Probably to allow the same length of time between matches. Scotland/Ukraine playing 120mins plus pens 3 days before playing away in Cardiff/vienna to a fresh rested Wales/Austria is a tad unfair

Probably to allow the same length of time between matches. Scotland/Ukraine playing 120mins plus pens 3 days before playing away in Cardiff/vienna to a fresh rested Wales/Austria is a tad unfair
Of course the opposite is equally likely to be true come June, that Ukraine are still not in a position to play and Wales v Austria has to go ahead with us playing a Nations League game where we probably choose to rest some key personnel.

Ultimately it's a pretty hard conundrum for FIFA and UEFA. If they play without Ukraine, it will be condemned totally. If they don't play it now, we could be in the same situation in June, where the pressure will be on to push the games into September in the hope that Ukraine can play then.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't understand that either. They're preparing for it, there's no threat to that game, so why postpone a bunch of other matches?

But Austria/Wales would presumably still be playing a Nations League match anyway, likely against very good opposition.

I guess technically they could move our games vs Ireland/Armenia forward but that only solves part of the puzzle because you can’t move Ukraine’s games forward.

Most likely they move one set of UNL games back to September to form a triple header, keep two in June and then move another set all the way back to the pre-WC friendly period

Our year would end up looking like:

Thursday 24th March: Friendly

Monday 28th March: Friendly

Saturday 4th June: Ukraine (H) - Playoff semi final

Tuesday 7th June: Ukraine (H) - Nations League

Saturday 11th June: Ireland (A) - Nations League

Tuesday 14th June: Possible playoff final in Wales or Austria

Wednesday 21st September: Armenia (A) - Nations League

Saturday 24th September: Ukraine (A/N) - Nations League

Tuesday 27th September: Ireland (H) - Nations League

Wednesday 16th November: Armenia (H) - Nations League

From Monday 21st November: Possible World Cup finals 

41 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Ah well, thats so many hundreds down the drain on wasted flights for the play-offs and most likely the away fixtures in June. 

As much as I understand completely why its postponed, fans are shafted by this massively.

With flights I presume you can still change dates due to Covid and the same with hotels. 

Hopefully the SFA can organise a friendly at short notice so some fans are not out of pocket. 

5 minutes ago, betting competition said:

With flights I presume you can still change dates due to Covid and the same with hotels. 

Hopefully the SFA can organise a friendly at short notice so some fans are not out of pocket. 

Its Ryanair so I'd be fighting a losing battle I'd imagine. 

https://theathletic.com/news/fifa-postpone-scotlands-world-cup-qualification-play-off-against-ukraine/SNZf1qGpYmke/

"The winners of the rearranged match will face the victors of the other play-off semi-final — Wales vs Austria — to decide qualification.

That match will still be played on March 24, but the postponement of the Ukraine game necessitates that the play-off final will be also be delayed."

ETA - I hope they confirm the date as soon as they can, summer is quite a busy time for folk!

Edited by Big Fifer

I guess technically they could move our games vs Ireland/Armenia forward but that only solves part of the puzzle because you can’t move Ukraine’s games forward.

Most likely they move one set of UNL games back to September to form a triple header, keep two in June and then move another set all the way back to the pre-WC friendly period

Our year would end up looking like:

Thursday 24th March: Friendly
Monday 28th March: Friendly

Saturday 4th June: Ukraine (H) - Playoff semi final
Tuesday 7th June: Ukraine (H) - Nations League
Saturday 11th June: Ireland (A) - Nations League
Tuesday 14th June: Possible playoff final in Wales or Austria

Wednesday 21st September: Armenia (A) - Nations League
Saturday 24th September: Ukraine (A/N) - Nations League
Tuesday 27th September: Ireland (H) - Nations League

Wednesday 16th November: Armenia (H) - Nations League
From Monday 21st November: Possible World Cup finals 

So by your fixtures there that would mean 3 out of the 4 fixtures that the Sfa have just sold tickets for having the date change. I get its a unique situation but that could potentially scupper plans for a hell of a lot of people

8 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

https://theathletic.com/news/fifa-postpone-scotlands-world-cup-qualification-play-off-against-ukraine/SNZf1qGpYmke/

"The winners of the rearranged match will face the victors of the other play-off semi-final — Wales vs Austria — to decide qualification.

That match will still be played on March 24, but the postponement of the Ukraine game necessitates that the play-off final will be also be delayed."

ETA - I hope they confirm the date as soon as they can, summer is quite a busy time for folk!

If Wales and Austria still play in March, then our chances of doing well in both the nations league and World Cup play off are greatly diminished.