Scotland v Ukraine

Lex

11 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I also don't think the Ukrainian FA have realised that Hampden is already booked for Ed Sheeran, Gerry Cinnamon and Calvin Harris. 

Could probably ask if they want a game if they're short. Sheeran would be shite I bet.

"Let Ukraine qualify because they'll feel better about their country being destroyed again" is an incredible thought process.

Postpone it for a while. The draw shouldn't be a problem as all four of us are currently ranked 20th to 40th in the world, so would likely be seeded third anyway. Then, when it's obvious Russia has no intention of backing down, get the match played against whoever's next in the queue as a distraction from the inevitable nuclear holocaust.

Postponing is the right thing to do, we should at least give them a chance of playing the games at some point if we can. There will be a lot of will from the FA’s and clubs to find a way to help them play.

I do wonder if they felt they wouldn’t be able to play down the line, whether they wouldn’t have just withdrawn? That gives me a bit of hope they can bring a team together. 

I know that there are Ukrainian athletes at the Winter Paralympic Games, and Ukrainian players still playing football so not everything is off for them just now. With everything being very new and in such chaos, perhaps they just need some time to get stuff together.  

Postponing is the right thing to do, we should at least give them a chance of playing the games at some point if we can. There will be a lot of will from the FA’s and clubs to find a way to help them play.
I do wonder if they felt they wouldn’t be able to play down the line, whether they wouldn’t have just withdrawn? That gives me a bit of hope they can bring a team together. 
I know that there are Ukrainian athletes at the Winter Paralympic Games, and Ukrainian players still playing football so not everything is off for them just now. With everything being very new and in such chaos, perhaps they just need some time to get stuff together.  

It is the right thing to do although I can’t help but thinking it’s just kicking to problem down the line. If they are unable to play at the end of March, it’s not particularly likely that they will be able to play 10 weeks later. It’s a tricky situation as none of the teams involved deserve to be disadvantaged in any way by this but there’s not an obvious solution.

They may have overseas players available but any national team will have a team of staff who need to be there who presumably will all be based in Ukraine.

1 hour ago, Louis Litt said:

I also don't think the Ukrainian FA have realised that Hampden is already booked for Ed Sheeran, Gerry Cinnamon and Calvin Harris. 

Can't see SFA playing that card.

In any case - as mentioned before I think likliest solution might be playing SF immediately before Armenia.

1 hour ago, vince sinclair said:

From a selfish as fcuk point of view it's a nightmare.  Bus booked for 24th, potential Cardiff trip and flights to Ireland  June.  Only saving grace is hotels refundable.    

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

They can GTF my hotel is non refundable 

Scotland could play somebody in a friendy this month to at least partially make-up for inconvenience like this.

37 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

It is the right thing to do although I can’t help but thinking it’s just kicking to problem down the line. If they are unable to play at the end of March, it’s not particularly likely that they will be able to play 10 weeks later. It’s a tricky situation as none of the teams involved deserve to be disadvantaged in any way by this but there’s not an obvious solution.

They may have overseas players available but any national team will have a team of staff who need to be there who presumably will all be based in Ukraine.

If they can't end up playing in June, it's not just kicking the can down the line, it's arguably making things worse.  If a decision is made now, no problem, but if an international window goes past, then all kinds of things get set in motion.  Wales and Austria get inconvenienced.  The World Cup draw has to be adapted.  Hampden events may have to be rearranged, or the SFA go cap in hand to Ibrox or Parkhead.  Nations League gets fucked up.  Now none of those are really big issues compared to an actual war, but it's not like we're delaying a game a couple of weeks while people get Covid out their system.  It's assuming a war that's only been on the go a few weeks will just disappear in another ten.  Just doesn't seem realistic.

Think it has to be either they cobble together a team or they forfeit.  Absolutely shite state of affairs, but no matter what we do there's going to be something wrong with it.

30 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Can't see SFA playing that card.

In any case - as mentioned before I think likliest solution might be playing SF immediately before Armenia.

Scotland could play somebody in a friendy this month to at least partially make-up for inconvenience like this.

It's fine. I'll just not tell my wife the game is off and just get a night out in Glasgow

I agree it would definitely complicate things but I can't see either FIFA or ourselves rejecting it purely on the basis that we/they'll look like massive arseholes. 

I'd guess we're silently hoping FIFA say no, take all the heat as the bad guys and we pretend we were happy enough to postpone it. 

4 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I agree it would definitely complicate things but I can't see either FIFA or ourselves rejecting it purely on the basis that we/they'll look like massive arseholes. 

I'd guess we're silently hoping FIFA say no, take all the heat as the bad guys and we pretend we were happy enough to postpone it. 

Having a bye and then losing to Wales, or having a bye then qualifying for a World Cup is something that would hang over us forever.

Either, “remember when WW3 wasn’t enough to help us qualify”, or “remember when we qualified for the World Cup because Russia started WW3”.

Nah, you’re alright thanks. 

2 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Having a bye and then losing to Wales, or having a bye then qualifying for a World Cup is something that would hang over us forever.

Either, “remember when WW3 wasn’t enough to help us qualify”, or “remember when we qualified for the World Cup because Russia started WW3”.

Nah, you’re alright thanks. 

Arseholes like that will always find a reason, and should be ignored because they are, well, arseholes.

To be honest, I'd have absolutely zero interest in a friendly as a replacement for what was going to be our biggest game in decades. Granted I'm not the target audience, and if we're not playing Ukraine we may as well do something, but still.  Meh.

22 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Seen rumours online about a potential friendly with Poland being discussed

19 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Like the idea of a friendly against Poland with the proceeds going to Ukraine 

15 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

A friendly against Poland at Hampden would be probably as fitting an alternative as you could find.

13 minutes ago, forameus said:

To be honest, I'd have absolutely zero interest in a friendly as a replacement for what was going to be our biggest game in decades. Granted I'm not the target audience, and if we're not playing Ukraine we may as well do something, but still.  Meh.

Unless looked outside Europe, only Poland and Russia (!) are free Thu/Fri/Sat.

Gibraltar and San Marino are free Mon/Tue.

Edited by HibeeJibee